North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

Dear Stu,

Thank you for your reply. So I understand in some there are 2 doorways through the smaller towers onto the walkway of the larger tower and in others only one. The large tower walkway around the battlement does not lap around the exterior wall of the small tower. Once I have this sorted I shall add the top tower section.

Thanks again

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

No, not two doorways. Where there is full access all round, the staircase is offset enough to allow the walkway to pass in front of the doorway. In other cases the staircase circle cuts more into the tower circle, meaning the doorway has to be twisted round to allow access.

Imagine a figure 8 where the stairs are in the upper loop - this would allow full access.

If the upper loop is pushed down, like over lapping Venn diagram circles, then the doorway has to move around the staircase circle to connect with the tower circle walkway.

The staircases themselves are fairly tight, so the doorway opens on to what is no more than a slightly wider step - there is no room for two doorways.

Hope that's clearer...

Stu

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Stu,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully the photos below are near the mark. Tower with sub tower shown. Plasticard to follow.

post-15340-0-36351600-1393845257_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-98358600-1393845279_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-70803800-1393845300.jpg

I have gone into the mass wall construction business and am preparing the next 6 walls and towers.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 4

Dear Stu,

Another question. The area in front of the kings apartments behind the main wall on the eastern end of the castle, but behind the lower wall. The area has grass and paths ie next to the bridges. Is there a walkway on the lower wall next to the bridges - the small towers forming part of this wall provide support to the bridges. I have been unable to find any photos of this area as it is not a photogenic area. Are you able to assist. I am ready to model this area.

Regards,

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

Hi Anthony,

Sorry, I'm not able to help further with this as I'm not local to the castle.

Hopefully someone who is may be able to take some photos, but have you considered contacting the castle staff ? I'm sure they would be willing to provide any information you need.

http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/daysout/conwycastle/?lang=en

Stu

Stu,

Sorry I did not mean for your to take photos but thought you may have seen  the top of the "small wall" from your prior visit. Thanks again for all the help you have been great with your replies. I shall do some more hunting. 

Regards,

Anthony

Dear All,

A busy week with work. I have managed to complete a pair of manual points with wire and tube. They are linked cross over points and now work in unison off the levler frame. Another victory!

I hnearly completed another tower and the front wall.

Regards,

Anthony

Dear All,

I have downloaded photos of further castle developments. The photos are the east end of the castle. My next project will be the kings garden in front of this area. I need to rest the castle on another piece of 4 ml ply to level it up. Accordingly one of the towers is at an angle to the wall, but with ply underneath this joint will be flush.  I also need to use some modelling clay to  create the walk ways on the exterior of the towers, after putting in the smaller towers.

I have realised the land in this area is a little short and shall need to add another 120 mls of board to extend it into the river. This makes the Kings garden and area around the foot bridge spot on in terms of space. It also reduces the foot and road bridge to the correct span length. 

post-15340-0-74063700-1394540904_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-63315200-1394540931_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-29800500-1394540958.jpg

post-15340-0-94681600-1394540985_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-02484700-1394541017_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 4

I have added foam to extend the Conwy landscape to better reflect the river area. Photo below

post-15340-0-51119400-1394697399_thumb.jpg 

Also shown are the towers to be. the centre one supports the foot bridge and all frame the King's garden.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 4

WELSH DRAGON RAILWAY -N LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

I have been working on the time table to ensure adequate coverage of required locos while they are available. The layout will require approx. 45 locos. All of which I currently have or have on order. 

This is the list:

3X Duchess

2XRoyal Scot

1X Britainnia

1XA1

1XA2 (Blue pert ran on the line in 1960)

1XA3 (Flying Scotsman ran on the line in the 60s)

1XA4 (Yes I am cheating a little, but would like to run 1 A4 - visiting as a holiday train)

1XWD Austerity (I have 2 listed on the time table I am using)

5xBlk 5

3XBR Std 5 MT

2X Jubilees

2X BR Std 4 MT

1X Fairburn

2X Jinty

2X4F

2X Ivatt 2MT

1X Castle (Poetic license again) 

1X Class20 Diesel

2X Class 24 Diesel

1X Class 25 Diesel

1X64XX

1XClass 04

2XClass 108 DMU

3X BR 3MT Tank

1X Baby Deltic (Poetiic license)

2X Class 55 Deltics to pull track cleaners

I have not found a way to display the spread sheet apart for attaching the file.

There are 34 Goods trains. 88 Parcel trains and 59 passenger trains. In addition I shall create the Welsh Chieftain which ran on the north welsh coast in the 60s, having the rear most vehicle a Devon Belle observation car. Etched pixels is about to create the model for the observation car. That will make 60passenger trains. I shall need to computerise most of the train movement to cope with the traffic volume.

Sunday Train rakes V1.xlsx 

Regards,

Anthony

Dear Grafaman and Simond,

I have been looking to incorporate class 40s but found no evidence of their use on the north Wales line until the 70s. If you have any material showing them earlier I would love to get 1 or 2! I certainly could not do this layout in OO . Neither room nor money allow.

Regards,

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Dear Grafaman and Simond,

I have been looking to incorporate class 40s but found no evidence of their use on the north Wales line until the 70s. If you have any material showing them earlier I would love to get 1 or 2! I certainly could not do this layout in OO . Neither room nor money allow.

Regards,

Anthony

D200 worked the 1:20pm Crewe-Llandudno service 8th Aug '59 which is probably the first recorded sighting; after that if you check out 'North Wales Coast Diesels' by Steve Morris he has pictures of D233 at Holyhead in Oct '59; D300 on the Irish Mail 2nd Aug '65; D217 'Carinthia' at Caernarfon in the Summer of '67; D256 at Caernarfon in Summer 1968 and D296 on 13th July 68 at Penmaenmawr.  Seven Class 40's (D219/231/232/233/241/307/390) were marooned on Anglesey after the Britannia Bridge fire in May 1970 which shows the number of the class present in the area during the late 60's to have accumulated so many by then!

Edit to add quote: Picture caption in Steve's book - 'Picture of unidentified class 40 passing through Menai Bridge on May 17th 1966.  During this period it was quite common to see twenty or so different members of the class on passenger duties in North Wales during a twelve hour period on a Summer Saturday.'

Hope that helps; gotta get some 40's!!

David

Edited by Grafarman
  • Like 2

Dear All,

Further work on the castle has been completed. I am not sure how long the castle took to build, but I expect I shall take at least 3 months.

The east barbican has been completed. In between one wall of the east barbican and a castle tower is a ramp heading down to the street. The ramp is on a north South axis. Does anyone know from prior visit how wide that ramp down to the street is. It is behind the low walls in the pictures below.

post-15340-0-39121500-1395052846_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-10379300-1395052866_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-03750900-1395052901_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-10742100-1395052923.jpg

post-15340-0-73941400-1395052946.jpg

Next is to complete the next tower and wall of the castle and put the kings garden horizontal support behind the low towers in place with grass and some paths. I am also about to tackle the automatic points using servos. Most of the manual points are now complete. One frog is refusing to work and further endeavour is required to sort out the problem despite wiring it up.

All replies are welcome.

regards,

Anthony

• Like 6

1 ml STATIC GRASS

I am looking to do a manicured lawn in N gauge and think 1 ml static grass should be the longest fibre as this will create a 6" high lawn.

Are there any recommendations for 1 ml static grass manufacturers. I have conducted searches but only found Deco manufacture to 1 ml. Any ideas?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• RMweb Premium

For a fine manicured lawn static grass is not the best solution. The fibres are too thick. I would go for a very fine ground scatter (2 colours if you want to show it mown in stripes).

Having read your updates so far on Monday, I was out for a walk and thought of you when passing the castle. Just had a feeling your walls maybe did not have enough brown to them, too grey perhaps. Problem with photos is the lighting playing tricks. This is towards the sun which was briefly behind cloud.

post-1625-0-46396000-1395226789_thumb.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Merf.

• Like 1

Dear Simon and Kris. Thanks for the information. Armed with your comments I shall do a little experimenting. I have some Woodland fine turf in an number of colours. test 1. next I shall try some grass mat available to me. it will probably require a little shading to get the desired effect. Lastly I shall try the 1 ml static grass in a number of colours.. I shall use the best of the 3. The other finely manicured area of Conwy is the bowling green on the other side of the creel line. The grass mat may be the best for this area but will wait and see. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I think I shall need the following sizes of static grass to do the N gauge model ie 1,2,4 and 6 ml. 6 ml is obviously 3 feet and although not sure given I live in Australia, this is probably about the right height for max grass in the UK Again any comments are most welcome.

Merf I have had some trouble establishing the colour of the castle. I normally ask any one who has gone there if my attempt at colouring is correct. All comments on this issue are welcome. Only today I bought a 250 ml can of khaki greenish paint to supplement the rust and deep brown colours I already have. I will attempt a little dry brushing using a piece of damp cloth. I shall very gently try all three browns in very subtle shades. What do you think. I would like your comment. I have found every photo of the castle I see is a different colour. Some are brown but some grey. Time of year and light make a big difference. A little more colour if it is not unrealistic would add to the interest of the walls and towers.

Thanks to all for your continued support.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Anthony

I'd be very surprised to see grass 3 feet high in the UK, rough scrub is unlikely to exceed 2 feet, and any open unkempt grass would be rabbit-cropped so a mixture of tussocks and flat bits.

Best

Simon