North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

WELSH DRAGON RAIL

Dear Simond,

on your advice I shall limit myself to mainly 2-4ml static grass with very occasional 6 ml for very high weeds. This gives me a good indication of what I need to stock my grass supplies. The woodland scenic static grass is 2-3ml high I think and this will be my average with supplementation with a good blend of 4ml but particular weeds at 6 ml.

Thanks again for the assistance your contribution is appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony

PJ,

The decision to buy our current house was a deal with my wife who wanted to move. The house is on 6,000 square metres. We agreed on the house on the basis that I could build a quadruple  bay garage to solely house a model layout. I think I go the good end of the deal, although she may argue with me in the shed I am not cluttering up the house!

I need to get my mother in law and wife back painting the back scenes to complete them. I shall also have some scenic divider between the 3 stations for some artistic license.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

I am after some advice. Having received some comments on the very grey colour of the castle I have further experimented by adding a hint of brown on the stone walls. I would appreciate some feed back on the preference for grey with different shades of grey or an additional touch of brown. I t is impossible form photos to properly ascertain the actual colour given variation in light.

Photos below all have a tinge of brown on the east barbican wall. All prior stone walls photos were different shades of grey.

Comment please.

post-15340-0-08941900-1395491092.jpg

post-15340-0-68813100-1395491108.jpg

post-15340-0-55505400-1395491129.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Anthony.

I have to say that it looks beter with a spot of brown mate. I would also give it a hint of green to suggest a bit of moss at the bottom but don't over do it.

Regards Lez.Z.

PJ,

The decision to buy our current house was a deal with my wife who wanted to move. The house is on 6,000 square metres. We agreed on the house on the basis that I could build a quadruple  bay garage to solely house a model layout. I think I go the good end of the deal, although she may argue with me in the shed I am not cluttering up the house!

I need to get my mother in law and wife back painting the back scenes to complete them. I shall also have some scenic divider between the 3 stations for some artistic license.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

Hi Anthony

The back scenes look good, it looks like they are more than a dab hand with a brush   :paint:   

Do you need a night watchman  :hunter:

PJ

Dera All,

I agree that there is a need to provide substantial vegetation at the bottom of the castle. In face there is 6.5 cm of real wall which is either covered in dirt, another form of walling of grass. I have determined how to model each of these. The grass areas go about 1/2 way up the tan/brown wall on the 1st wall section I completed. I have cut foam to use as the base for dirt, stones and grass.  There is a lot of moss around the lower section of the east barbican area. Vegetation will be when I have nearly finished as it most easily damaged with construction and moving the parts of the model around. I have cut to size 3 more castle wall section and added battlements to 2 more towers. I need to cut the battlements on the wall section. Once I have done a little more work on the castle I intend to build 2 more base boards to go on the right edge (Bangor edge). These will take the layout to the edge of Bangor. I am stalled on the left as I need some assistance to create the metal frame work for the lifting access section on the left of Penmaenmawr side.

Today I had some assistance to set up all of the automated points for Conwy. I have 9 servos programed now and ready for installation using ECoS II. If I build the extra 10 feet on the right that will enable me to properly attach the wiring for some of the hidden track areas, which is currently wound up in a loop (2 sections 4 and 6 feet).

Next task is to draw up the windows and doors for the next 2 sections of castle wall and then drill them out. I also need to mould about 40 pieces of stone wall of various types. Once it cools down I can do these and start work on completing the various sea walls around Conwy. No shortage of tasks!

All replies are most welcome. Thanks to Lez and PJ for their encouragement above. 

Regards,

Anthony    

Dear All,

A few more photos of the castle development. It is progressing slowly.

post-15340-0-26608800-1395666718_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-19181600-1395666739.jpg

post-15340-0-12701600-1395666765.jpg

All of the southern wall sections are now at least cut. The pencil lines running the length of the wall sections are where the stone work stops and the dirt/grass starts. One more tower for battlement treatment on the southern side. All three need the apertures drilled out. A job for tomorrow evening perhaps. I have added an extra tower to the Portcullis. Is still needs plasticard to be finished.

All replies are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 7

Dear All,

All replies are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

Hello Anthony

It is a beautiful place to live, open to the cold north westerly winds (and rain) but still very nice. 

Your work is a credit to you, it is looking good.

PJ

• RMweb Gold

Anthony,

As you've discovered, there are no acurate colour photos of the castle as there are so many natural variables which all alter how it looks. What is more important is the shape, which you've captured well.

With the location and bridges, short of putting the Disney castle there, it is instantly recognisable as Conwy.

As you've mentioned before, an overall tone to the walls ( including the painted town walls) is more important than a specific colour pallette for the castle itself.

Stu

Stu,

Thanks for the comments. I think you are right. The colour scheme for all 12 century walls and there abouts will be light and dark grey, a rich brown and a brown khaki colour. The browns are just shaded over the grey to give the illusion of those colours without dominating the colour scheme.

Regards,

Anthony

I have completed the 1st base board structure for the Bangor area (right side of the layout and the small base board for the continuation of the Conwy river area also on the right.

Photos are enclosed. The large tin of paint shown in the picture is 1-0n litres to give an indication of scale. The board to the north of Bangor is 8 feet by 8 feet and the one above that to extend Conwy River id 4 feet by 5 feet. These boards will add a further 12 feet of track area.

I am waiting for cooler weather to start moulding stone work and I need this to further develop the castle. Once I have more round plasticard to cove the towers I can get going with vegetation and dirt around the base of the castle.

post-15340-0-59823000-1396184204_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-29219200-1396184222_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-09894500-1396184247_thumb.jpg

There is also a 6 foot and 2 and 1/2 foot board ready for the left side of the layout, but I need some help with the metal frame work to lift the 2 1/3 foot section. No luck as yet with this.

All additions to the post are gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 2

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVLOPMENTS

I have completed the plan for Bangor, including elevation changes. This needed to be completed to allow work on the two right boards. The brown dots show an elevation change. Bangor station is in a steep valley. In N gauge the sides of the depression will be upwards of 160ml. This allows me to run the hidden track under the raised area. The numbers in the squares are the number of terrace houses in the block.

In the vacant area at the bottom of the layout I shall have the mountain next to Penmaenmawr. It top of the mountain will go within 2 " of the ceiling.

post-15340-0-78712300-1396336502_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-61492700-1396336519_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-86216500-1396336575_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-55322500-1396336597_thumb.jpg

All comments and replies are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 5

Wow what an awesome layout . I think we are all jealous of having 35 feet to play with . It's nice to see your talent more than does it justice . Conwy castle is superb as is the amazing back scene : () . This will be enjoyable to follow . Ian

Anthony,

Loving the progress on the layout, the Castle is really beginning to look amazing

Question, Bangor Turntable looks to be in a lot of open ground where everything in that area was crammed in to the small space in the valley, is this deliberate or a possible drawing error?

David

WELSH DRAGON RAIL -   LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear Simon, Simon and David,

Thanks for the comments by all 3 of you they are very much appreciated and really encourage me to keep going with the project. I agree David with your comment on the turntable and have pushed it back a little closer to the cattle pens and other track. That amendment to the plan is not on the plans below, but has been mad eon my latest version. I don't know how many times the plan has changed now, but there have been a considerable number. 

I am after advice from anyone interested in providing it. The hidden track under Bangor as originally planned and shown on page 9 at entry 222 goes around the outside of the layout. The lowest point of the hidden track will be at 2 feet height, but with 3 loops there will be track at approx 3 1/2 feet and 5 feet. If I put the hidden track all the way around the outside of the layout it will be almost impossible to get access under the layout with various levels of track at these 3 heights under the layout. Accordingly I have redesigned the hidden track into a dog bone under the layout. This frees up nearly 1 entire side and allows access under the very, very complicated scenic track for Bangor. I therefore think that this is a much better option and am likely to use the hidden track plan under Bangor shown below. The large pink area shows the double ply support supporting the Bangor scenic track. The pink lines are the framework for the base boards and provde support for the hidden track steel rods on witch the hidden track will rest. 

Can readers confirm if I am on the right track with the plan below to ensure good access below Bangor. 

post-15340-0-71916000-1396529793_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-34331600-1396529814_thumb.jpg

regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 2

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVLOPMENTSI have completed the plan for Bangor, including elevation changes. This needed to be completed to allow work on the two right boards. The brown dots show an elevation change. Bangor station is in a steep valley. In N gauge the sides of the depression will be upwards of 160ml. This allows me to run the hidden track under the raised area. The numbers in the squares are the number of terrace houses in the block.In the vacant area at the bottom of the layout I shall have the mountain next to Penmaenmawr. It top of the mountain will go within 2 " of the ceiling.attachicon.gifScenic 1 Apr 14.jpgattachicon.gifScenic 2 1 Apr 14.jpgattachicon.gifScenic 3 1 Apr 15.jpgattachicon.gifSceni 4 1 Apr 13.jpgAll comments and replies are welcome.Regards,Anthony

Hi Anthony

The project is incredible, what you have done so far fantastic, all that space and all them sidings a dream ;-)

Keep up the good work, it is a pleasure to watch.

PJ

Dear PJ,

Thanks very much for the encouraging comments. I spent yesterday measuring and then planning the vertical supports for the 2 new boards using any rail. The diagram below shows the product of my work. By accurately planning to scale each elevation support I am able to move the pieces around the page like a jig saw and maximise my use of the sheet of ply wood. The maximum height of the tallest piece is about 300 ml. Each square is 100 ml. The triangular shapes are usually hills. The slots are generally where I will run track through a tunnel.

For instance when a rake leaves the Conwy board as shown on the plan above it enters a tunnel and goes through the scenic divider. The train emerges to view at the series of brown circles running up and down the board for a short distance. It goes onto a second tunnel where those circles stop. It them emerges from the tunnel into Bangor station.

Next job is to go and buy some 9 ml ply to cut the vertical supports.

post-15340-0-02154600-1396741760_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Anthony

Edited by Anthony Ashley