Burton Model RailEx Sunday November 3rd 2013

binny

This years Model RailEx is to be held on Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 at the National Brewery Centre, Horninglow Street, Burton upon Trent, DE14 1NG. Open 1000-1600 the event will feature up to 14 layouts with full trade support, free parking, disabled access, refreshments and bar.  Adults £4, members and concessions £3, accompanied children under 15 £1, Family ticket £9. The entrance fee will give full access to the museum site, which includes the museum's own working N gauge model of Buton upon Trent in the 1920's. The Bass No9 loco, Directors coach and the Planet loco will all be on view as static displays plus the museums collection of vintage vehicles.  www.burtonrailwaysociety.co.uk

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is the location as good as it sounds?

Regards

Sorry for the delay in replying. The venue is excellent. The Brewery museum is well worth a visit, and it is fully accessable for the price of our RailEx admission. The restaurant and bar area are superb and the cask Worthington White Shield is very, very nice. There is a Robey steam engine, which may be working on the day, plus a collection of brewery vehicles. These have been receiving cosmetic restoration from Burton Railway society members. There are also static standard gauge brewery locos, which have also received a lot of attention over the last twelve months. There is, of course, the museum itself which tells the history of brewing in Burton upon Trent. Finally, there is our model railway exhibition, which is taking place in two rooms at the museum. The famous Bass Shire horses are also kept at the museum and may still be there on the day, but there is a chance that they could have been moved to their winter pastures.

If you can make it, we would be pleased to see you. Be sure to come and say hello.

binny

Some fifteen - twenty years ago when it was still the Bass Brewery Museum I held our Geological Society's AGM there. We had the meeting in the morning and then adjourned to lunch in the bar with sampling of the brews on offer.

I still tell people this because it proves I CAN run a p*ss up in a brewery.

May be able to make it.

Some fifteen - twenty years ago when it was still the Bass Brewery Museum I held our Geological Society's AGM there. We had the meeting in the morning and then adjourned to lunch in the bar with sampling of the brews on offer.

I still tell people this because it proves I CAN run a p*ss up in a brewery.

May be able to make it.

That's the type of story I like !!!  I forgot to mention - the traditional ales are brewed at the museum. White Shield, Red Shield, Worthington E to name just a few.

binny

Hi Binney, good luck with the show mate, its a shame I will miss it yet again due to fleeing the local Fireworks for some peace and quiet for the Wife and Dog.

I hope my old Layout Deesdale Road runs as well with its new owner as it did with me.

All the best and have a GREAT SHOW,

Andy :sungum:

Hi Binney, good luck with the show mate, its a shame I will miss it yet again due to fleeing the local Fireworks for some peace and quiet for the Wife and Dog.

I hope my old Layout Deesdale Road runs as well with its new owner as it did with me.

All the best and have a GREAT SHOW,

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andy

I have been to the Brewery Centre this morning to sort out one or two things. I visited the N gauge model of Burton upon Trent, which is on the top floor of the museum. I had forgotten just how good this model is. For any of our visitors on Sunday, it is well worth a visit. In fact, the whole of the top floor tells the story of how beer was moved by the breweries in Burton. Joe, the 4 year old shire horse will be at the museum and with a bit of luck, the Robey steam engine will be running. I am sure that Deesdale Road will run just fine, along with the other quality exhibits that we have. We just need a bit of nice weather to make for a nice day.

binny

Will there be a bus running from Burton town centre this year?

Laurence

We used midland classics's Routemaster for the last two years but not this year. So service buses in the form of midland classic, Arriva, Trent Barton etc will need to be used.

binny

Enjoyed the show today. Some enjoyable layouts, plenty of trade and the sausage cobs were massive!

Jealous of Sutton Coldfield writes:

Had I not been clearing up after a messy Eighteenth Birthday Party, I'd have been there.  I had no idea the museum had the model of Burton, but working in Derby with Burtonians I've not been able to avoid tales of how good that venue is.

Seems I'll have to make the effort irrespective of railway shows now.  Maybe on Thursday, when I take the car to a nearby fettler, I'll take some time out to visit. 

Jealous of Sutton Coldfield writes:

Had I not been clearing up after a messy Eighteenth Birthday Party, I'd have been there.  I had no idea the museum had the model of Burton, but working in Derby with Burtonians I've not been able to avoid tales of how good that venue is.

Seems I'll have to make the effort irrespective of railway shows now.  Maybe on Thursday, when I take the car to a nearby fettler, I'll take some time out to visit. 

Well if you need a model railway fix the Weston-on-Trent show is coming up soon. In a school so no beer, but good pub up the road :)

Enjoyed the show today. Some enjoyable layouts, plenty of trade and the sausage cobs were massive!

I endorse what Andy has said however I would add that a shilling in the meter within the Worthington Suite would have been welcome, it was possible the darkest of any venue on the circuit 

I endorse what Andy has said however I would add that a shilling in the meter within the Worthington Suite would have been welcome, it was possible the darkest of any venue on the circuit 

I also agree about the lighting in the Worthington Suite. At least two layouts spent the day in "dusk" as they did not have their own lighting. The room was like this last year as well.

Thank you to all of the visitors who turned out on Sunday to see our show. Also, a big thank you to the traders and exhibitors who attended. The weather was kind (for the most part !!!) and the layouts were excellent. The whole day passed off really well and, from the comments we received, the museum was considered to be a great venue to hold the event. The one issue we had was the lighting in one of the rooms. I can only apologise and be assured, we will try to put this right for next year. We are already making plans to run the event next year at the same location.

Thank you again for your support

binny

Archived