Seafoam - Im Growing my own

• RMweb Gold

Are you going to treat them with glycerine to preserve them?

I've heard differing views on doing this Andy.

I did try it using a 50/50 mixture of glycerine and warm water, but with my test it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Some swear by it. Perhaps I did it with the wrong mixture. Fine stiffish wire inserted down the centre of the stem does work quite well as a straightener.

Hi Andy

thanks for the kind words - I hadnt thought of it as a commercial venture but perhaps one day given a bigger greenhouse and a spot of global warming it could be a nice little earner.

I was probably going to try the florists wire up the stalk rather than glycerine option - I would be gutted if I dunked them in the mixture, it was wrong and I ruined my efforts so far.

I have a few twisted wire trees I have made armatures for in the loft so I may get some snaps and put them on here - don't expect anything wonderful though as my recent efforts with free downloads of build it yourself signalboxes have only served to re-inforce my world class reputation for cack handedness.

Best Regards

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I've heard differing views on doing this Andy.

I did try it using a 50/50 mixture of glycerine and warm water, but with my test it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

It worked for me and I left them to soak in a bowl overnight.Very supple on removing and not brittle at all.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry, about a year too late with this, but, re the glycerine-

When my Mum was still with us I used to get roped in to climb and snip small branches of 'copper beech' trees for winter/dried flower arranging. A real PITA because she insisted it be done before the sun got on them and to hurry to get them home asap so that they could be stood in a water/glycerine mix halfway up their stems in a very tall Kilner jar. There they would stay for more than a week, they appeared to suck up the liquid which went as far as the leaves. [i have no idea what strength mix]

She did the same with a plant called 'Paper Moons' [?]. They had circulat flat transparent discs after flowering that contained a seed and with  leafy Hawthorn twigs when they had developed berries.

Perhaps that is the way it could be done?

Doug

[if you can eat it, I can grow it but know diddly-squat about 'flooers']

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Afternoon all, resurrecting an old thread I thought I would show something I tried today using left over bits of seamoss that were not really suitable for trees or bushes.

Whilst out walking a few weeks back I found dead shrub which looked promising as source of tree skeletons, so I gathered a few bits.post-7105-0-44918800-1439738885_thumb.jpg

Then using a hot glue gun I stuck the little bits of seamoss onto most but not all of the twiggy bits. Sorry haven't got a PIC of that bit.

I gave it all a waft over of bargain bin dark brown spray paint and then when dry used spray adhesive to hold on various odds and ends of flock,foam etc.

I am quite pleased with the result and I hope people find this a useful way to use up the bits of seamoss left at the end of their box.post-7105-0-32046900-1439739131_thumb.jpg

Best wishes Chris

• Like 5

Hi Class 66

Thanks for your post - you cant go far wrong with a warm windowsill or greenhouse, well draining soil and I found allowing them to sit in a shallow tray of water works best.

For the price of a packet of seeds you can grow 10 x what you get in forest in a box.

Good luck and don't forget to put some pics up as you go

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello all. A quick addition to an old thread with a suggestion for alternative tree armatures. 

I have a smoke bush in my garden and the flower heads look like the pictures below. Last autumn I collected a few and dried them before giving them a coat of paint. Last night I was at a loose end so I decided to see how they would look with a bit of foliage added. I think they look okay and would be even better with the trunk beefed up a bit.

Happy modelling.

Chris

20190613_160355.jpg

20190613_095653.jpg

20190613_160028.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, CarriageShed said:

They do look really good, but the main trunk does seem a bit spindly. Even so, I'd be happy to have 2mm versions on my own layout.

Thanks.  Yup the trunks could do with a bit of das clay or similar unless you are using them as backscene trees.

• 2 months later...

Autumn is upon us and the budliea which kept so many butterflies fed is now turning brown and dying back. However the flower stalks would make good trees I thought. 

Pics of 4 stalks after a quick ping in the oven to kill off any bugs. Then some cheapo Wilkinson spray adhesive and a coat of coarse turf. I am quite pleased with them. Hope it inspires you too.

Chris

20190901_174408.jpg

20190901_174531.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1