St.Clemens- a fresh finescale start...! beachings axe?

Jack00

Long time no go for me.

But over the last month or so i have been acting upon my plans for a BLT set in West Cornwall. the plan was to have a small Branch terminus based around the size of St.Ives or other smaller stations. with a run round facility that will accomidate small tank loco's such as 57xx or 45xx's. also big enough for class 22's 25's 35's etc.

A stable road oppisite the station building for a station pilot, and a sidings for coal wagons or similar

The layout is 8ft scenic section (both baseboards 4ft by 18in) in 00 gauge using peco flexi code 100.

Once the loco has run round its coach or wagons, the train heads under a bridge and onto the second scenic section, rolling hills and telegraph poles typical to the Cornish countryside. passing a world war pill box and stopping at a small halt (st. Clemens Halt) lit by a gas lamp and pagoda hut keeping the passengers dry. often picking up passegers who have visited the near by beach during the summer, or in the winter locals heading to work.

If this branchline was real, such as the Chacewater - Newquay or Gwinear - Helston line, the branch would have been on Beachings list. probably closing to passengers around 1964, but used for freight for a further year or so.

Stock: i have limited "1960" stock, infact no loco's fitting into the timescale. at the moment i have a BR brown B-set, 2 6wheel milk tanks, a siphonG, 2 BR cattle trucks and a brake-van, but the beauty of the layout is it will happily hold this much stock, but not look crowded, so no need to purchase more stock (except a few steam loco's)/

I will post-up some pictures to follow.

The layout will be attending the Hayle Exhibition in August '13

Thanks

Jack

Hi Bill thanks.

I have had a clear out to fund this project, had to bite the bullet as It seemed to get out of hand.

St.clemens will be attending the hayle show weekend in August instead of the n gauge layout..

Thanks to gwrman (nigel) for sorting this out for me.

The operating potential is alot more hopefully keeping interest higher.

Excited about the show Bill, cant wait to experience an exhibition from the exhibitors point of view.

Not long until the may show...! Will see you there for certain.

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the scenics Jack. ;)

Think this will go down well at the show.

Cheers,

Mark

I think rather than using "ready to plonk" platforms I will construct It out of wood and dress with a stone side and painted grey top. And the modified station building glued towards the right hand end of the platform.

GWR fencing and pagoda hut with benches and tin adverts.

This way there will be no gaps between the backscene and station which would be hard to fill with detail due to the limited space. So I'd rather make the fencing flush with the backscene and have an open gate entrance to indicate access for passengers.

Hopefully can get more work done this evening.

Jack.

Hi Bill thanks.

I have had a clear out to fund this project, had to bite the bullet as It seemed to get out of hand.

St.clemens will be attending the hayle show weekend in August instead of the n gauge layout..

Thanks to gwrman (nigel) for sorting this out for me.

The operating potential is alot more hopefully keeping interest higher.

Excited about the show Bill, cant wait to experience an exhibition from the exhibitors point of view.

Not long until the may show...! Will see you there for certain.

Jack.

Hi Jack

Look forward to finally meeting up....We've threatened it a time or two!!!

It's fun exhibiting...You'll enjoy it.

You've certainly motored on with this one....Keep the pics coming

Cheers Bill

Yes last year we totally missed each other at hayle, but the weekend of the may show is my weekend off from work with no overtime!!!

Thanks for the encouragment Bill appraciated. Look forward to seeing yourself and Penhallick junction.

Jack.

Ive tested the track and it all works faultless.

No derailment's or flat spots and all ready for the droppers to go in.

The layout is DCC with manually operated points via rods at the back of the layout not visible by viewers at the front.

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

The problem with using plaster bandage such as Mod Roc is that it has holes and sometimes these can show depending on the ground cover etc applied subsequently.  

post-6859-0-99658000-1367835251_thumb.jpg

So ideally you need to cover it somehow.  In this case the scenery is on a module so it has to be portable and ideally as light as possible so what i did was 'paint' it with a thin coating of Woodlands Scenics Hydrocal (in this instance it was coloured with cheap acrylic paint during mixing) which if done done correctly sets nice and hard and is very light in weight,  and it provides an excellent base for further work.  Nice and durable it stood up perfectly well to a 150 mile plus car journey plus, of course, being shifted from room to car and back again etc.

post-6859-0-26328800-1367835301_thumb.jpg

Hi mike Thanks for posting up those pictures. Helpful ideas there.

I found in places with the cloth if brushed with a clean wet brush it tends to get rid of the holes but not all of them.

Once covered appropriately the holes are gone (except In places)

Thanks.

Jack

I really must crack on with the station section, I have a week off work next week so lots off free time to have a good session on the layout.

Not to mention a running session to familiarise myself with the shunting order. Probably have to educate my trainee lol. Don't think my partner will thank me for that. Maybe some L plates on the rear of the B-set????!!!!

Jack.

Right. .. station is in place and used ready to plonk sections but heavily weathered.

A pagoda hut, fencing, gas lamps, and general station details.

I'll post up some pictures later..

Jack.

post-13209-0-67650100-1368299821_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-81734100-1368299824_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-73703500-1368299827_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-26942200-1368299831_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-80301500-1368299834_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-63272700-1368299837_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-63352700-1368299839.jpg

Just a few touches left to do on the layout, and adding some additional buildings to the station section, including a cattle dock and a singal box.

Jack

Hi,

Looks good to me, it's nice to see someone modelling a Cornish Branchline layout. It will be good to see the layout when it attends the Hayle show in August (they've got two of my layouts attending too)

Cheers, Reece

Right a productive day on the layout. A few cuts and swears but overall good lol.

Manual points with levers operated at the back of the layout made from rail and wire hooks.

Drilled holes for the 8mm bolts that will be hold the boards together. Next will build a fiddle yard probably big enough to hold 3 trains. 3 way point to save space.

3ft fiddle yard with a ply surround.

Then paint the front facia black and obtain black fabric for the front drape.

These are the things I've never done on a layout so all new and exciting lol.

Jack.

Oh how nice it is to have a layout that I can actually "play trains" I've missed it. Now everything works and no derailments I can sit back and relax.

I deserve a beer....!!

Jack.

Oh how nice it is to have a layout that I can actually "play trains" I've missed it. Now everything works and no derailments I can sit back and relax.

I deserve a beer....!!

Jack.

Hi Jack

ONLY ONE?!?!?

Glad you're making progress.

With regard your previous post to the above, have you thought about a sector plate rather than a point in your fiddle yard?

It would allow longer trains by at least the length of the point!

Cheers Bill

Archived