Class 02, detailing the 4mm DJH kit.

7166858408_d47dff8b3f_z.jpg

These are one of my favorite classes of loco, I have been playing with this over the last few days but for some reason one of my camera's memory cards doesnt want to download the shots I took while working on it, the shots below are from today.

I like the big open cabs on these , problem is the whitemetal DJH kit built as it comes has chunky whitemetal windows and ive also recently noticed that the windows are far too small on it which doesnt give the impression of the large glazed cabs on the prototype.

Ive had one that I built about 10 years ago which has a crap paint job and ive recently been given a damaged body by Bob Rowlands, 

Ive always fancied the Craftsman kit with its etched cab, but as Ive got 2 DJH ones now I thought id try and detail these, I also prefer the fact the DJH has a good weight being whitemetal and I prefer the shape of the front radiator area on the DJH one, ideally i would have liked to have made a mix of the 2 kits but costs as usual dont allow. I could always cast a copy of the DJH front should I ever get a Craftsman kit.

Bob had made quite a nice job on his but it had suffered a fall off the layout at one time so it has been rattling away in a box for years and there was no complete chassis with it.

the idea was to make one from the best of the 2 bits, using his body and my old chassis, I can still make 2 in the future, but for now ill use his body on my chassis, while my old body is soaking away in brake fluid.

Bob's paintwork was quite good, but he had also modelled it as 02003, too late for my period so I have cleaned the paint off the cab and repainted the cab area and scratches using the same preision paint used originally and applied the crest and D numbers.

Bob has signed the inside of the body with a date- 1989.

his wasp stripes where pretty good for a handpainted effort, the front being better than the rear.

I managed to open out the windows on the rear without damaging the wasp stripes as they are not the nicest thing to paint but in the end the slight wonkyness of the stripes made me decide to strip the paint off and have a go at painting them myself.

here is a out of focus shot of the standard DJH cab on the left and with the windows opened out on the right, Ive also seen quite a few shots of them working around Liverpool with their cab door open and also cine footage of one passing Ormskirk in 1963 cab first with a brake van so for something different i cut the door out and chamfered the back of the door and window openings to thin them down. the door as moulded isnt high enough so cutting it out allows the correct height of it to be cut out, the 2 smaller windows at the front of the cab are also too small on the DJH model so I have widened them out too which enhances its appearance.

post-27-0-03271600-1369231208.jpg

post-27-0-50352500-1369231222.jpg

there is glazing in the side window in the shot below.

post-27-0-53567700-1369231246.jpg

my chassis was built as DJH intends, however I may replace the wheels with new Markits as the flanges are deep with unique screw head crankpins and ive recently repaired a portescap I had been given for free that had seperated from its gearbox so I may give that a trial in this, trying to keep this one as a quick cheap project.

couple of shots of one shunting with the door open..

6235967712_bc04009a6b_z.jpg

Hi, no its 4mm EM gauge.

ive just made a start on the cab wasp stripes.

after cleaning the whitemetal end I primered it with white primer.

in the past I would have painted the yellow next and then masked it and sprayed the black.

however it very rarely comes out neat with crisp masked edges and if it doesnt then its hard to touch up, so Ive looked at what Pete Johnson does which is white primer, mask it,  spray the black, then hand paint the yellow last, the theory being its easier to paint the yellow when the black is down as you can clean up the black edges first with a scalpel and yellow wont cover black.

that the theory, pics of my trial this afternoon, you only wait a couple of minutes to peel off the masking tape, but Ill leave it a good while now to harden and then tidy up any edges with the knife and then have a go at handpainting the yellow.

post-27-0-70029100-1369237607.jpg

post-27-0-90953100-1369237619.jpg

post-27-0-44856800-1369237637.jpg

all the strips where hand cut and just going by eye,so its not entirely perfect but better than it was, I noticed some bits again are slightly out of place to the prototype such as the rear light I think it is, but didnt notice until I was nearly through the masking so just cut it off and will stick it back on later.

no, as I said above, I reckon this way is better, Ive just painted the yellow by hand and it flows nicely on the white and stays in the ridge of the black, even if you do get it on the black, you dont see it. its harder do it the other way round if the edges dont peel off cleanly 

post-27-0-61049200-1369239750.jpg

I was just reading an article in BRM (Albion Metal scrapyard I think it was) They have one of these and I was wondering about getting one myself.  I shall follow along with interest. Looking good so far. 

Regards 

Scott 

cheers, good practice for when I do the wasp stripes on my ex LMS jackshaft which has more awkward areas.

quite happy with it, first time ive tried the technique, in the future ill make sure I cut the strips better but as a first proper go at them this way Im quite happy.

post-27-0-59715700-1369241191_thumb.jpg

Looks good Michael, I like all the Yorkshire designs.

An alternative approach for wasp striping is to spray the yellow and then use black decal sheet, cut into strips, and applied as necessary. Plenty of Solvaset settles the decal stripes down like paint. I've done a couple of industrials this way, including this Yorkshire DE2 for the BCB project.

post-6861-0-45670300-1369246308_thumb.jpg

and weathered,

post-6861-0-14473800-1369246369_thumb.jpg

Ian Rathbone mentions this method in one of his books. No better a method than the one you've used, just a different way.

it looks great and ive seen it in the flesh on Black country blues, the sort of thing that would have had me scared to attempt.

I cant remember what make the wasp decals where on my other 02 that is soaking away in brake fluid at the moment but the ones on that always looked like decals, the film was a pain to disguise so ill try the solvaset  on other decals. but I think from now on id prefer to paint these.

can always weather over them but I wanted this one in a clean or at least the wasp areas clean. 

ive still got to make and paint the door.

one passes through Ormskirk station in 1963.

post-27-0-24410500-1369250917.png

Hi Mick

yeah I have, yours looks great, when I tried them on my other 02 it was before I knew about any softening products, and getting them over any bumps and things on the end of a shunter I struggled with, there was also the fact the clear part had a sort of glistening look to it which I never liked.

however I've made a door from plasticard and Im going to use fox transfers on this when it dries,  I've painted the other side and inside of the cab a cream colour to save time, enamels take ages to dry.

post-27-0-43795100-1369258255.jpg

yeah would like to see pics, I think im going to have a go of the jackshaft myself now.

Ive done all the flush glazing of the cab and door,

I put the transfers on the door, top bits are painted black then stuck it to the inside of the cab.

post-27-0-77476700-1369325326.jpg

post-27-0-58665100-1369325344.jpg

post-27-0-84953800-1369325356.jpg

post-27-0-78480000-1369325369.jpg

ive got the chassis running again, this time with a portescap that I had been given for free as it was damaged, the motor had been snapped from the gearbox, I have araldited it back together and it runs sweet and quiet. 

it may not stay in here forever, but ive got it and no other locos in the pipeline for it so it can stay in here.

the chassis was cleaned up and repainted, the wheels have had their flanges reduced.

it never had brakeshoes originally, for some reason I never bothered with them first time round so found some on a spare scrap etch, should be for a class 03 but Ive adjusted them to fit, I dont think the holes for the brakes in the kit are in the right place so redrilled those, I made my own balance weights.

next few jobs are the bufferbeam area, handrails on the front steps aswel as touching up some of the little scratches here and there such as on the roof, although I dont want to weather this much, i want to try and keep it looking cleanish.

post-27-0-41110700-1369350262.jpg

post-27-0-96581200-1369350246.jpg

just realised I havent shown the other side so a shot of that, the close up shots crucify it and this camera is basic,  I cant adjust light settings on it so the colour looks a bit dark in the shots, so ive took a further away shot, the green has been given a coat of Klear.

the side window bar is made from masking tape painted green.

post-27-0-73357700-1369433689_thumb.jpg

Hi Michael, (all).

Just a couple of pictures of my attempt at the 02. It was my first, (and only so far), attempt at a metal kit and to say even this simple chassis was a partial success might be an overstatement.....! It works now though thanks to some expert help from the chaps at my local club.....

post-6920-0-02625000-1369946165.png

post-6920-0-12285000-1369946188.png

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean thats really nice, David, Ive got quite a few b&r videos and enjoy them but havent got that one, will get it.

ive got one of these painted black but fancy repainting it with the stripes, this will have to be fox transfers,but cant decide if its green or black and havent got a shot of a front of one with wasps yet.

8420589553_b22c78cc2a_c.jpg

... David, Ive got quite a few b&r videos and enjoy them but havent got that one, will get it.

There's only a few seconds of D2858 but most of the film is set in Manchester Exchange and Victoria, Newton Heath, Clifton Jc, and Bury. Well worth having!

Regards

There's only a few seconds of D2858 but most of the film is set in Manchester Exchange and Victoria, Newton Heath, Clifton Jc, and Bury. Well worth having!

Regards

ill get that one, a lot  of the b&r videos ive got are the north west ones, most of the footage on them always seems to be of Manchester area,

Archived