Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

HI Roy

Nice to hear from you again, as you can see we also thought the top set of Goathland buildings looked best of the two sets.

I think Jaz took some videos of at least some of my testing loops. Not sure which she got, but I will be doing some more over the weekend so they will no doubt be captured too. 

On the top loop Heritage line, things look pretty smooth apart from the Blue Pullman, so I may even give a few more locos a run around.

No doubt there will be more snagging required, but good news is the 37 pulled and pushed the CMX up and down the inclines without incident, so that is look good.

How did you get on with the SwitchPilot  and Resistors for using cobalts?

Kal,

I'm always on RMweb keeping up to-date with you and Jaz's progress when I can. Always good to have a nose and see what others can and are doing.

I've still not got around to my own layout yet, making a 90 mile 3 hr round trip to wire and assist with a friends layout. He doesn't want DCC point work so haven't tested the cobalts and switchpilots ( he uses tortoise as they were out before the cobalts) When I was at my friends I did wire up a GBRF class 20 with DCC lights including a sealed beam light too, just modified an Express Models lighting kit, would look better with the inside of the yellow ends painted black to prevent light bleed through the plastic.

Roy

• Like 1

Jaz,

A question: do you keep all your boxes, slip-covers, cases, etc., "collector style"? I don't. I bin them and use the clear cases for display cabinet supports, or micro-diorama/ figure covers. But, I only have a few and not a coupla grands worth (or more) so the overall value isn't an issue.

Tony

We are rather OTT,

we keep the boxes of buildings and trains

(I originally kept the boxes of everything - I thought hey in 20/30 years we could have a museum style  shop.....but Kal said NO we would need a bigger house!!!),

the boxes we keep go in really 84l or 64 useful boxes (which are not cheap, but we buy them when on offer) so they are safe if the water pipes leak.

If the boxes were bought over the internet they arrive in cardboard boxes, and we put the really useful box back in the cardboard box to stop light damaging the product box.

So inas much as we can we preserve the box in the best condition we can.

The boxes are then stored in the loft.

Any idiot considering stealing them needs to find us, get past the windows, get past the dogs, get really worried if Kal finds them on our property....in which case we might need to use one of the cardboard boxes. :triniti:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Basically we are as mad as a couple of kittens tied up in a box.....well one of us is :angel:

I keep all my train boxes. I don't have enough buildings boxes for that to be an issue, but re-use postage boxes and paper packaging. (All the bubble-wrap gets banged - multiple fusillades made by leaping up and down!) And I do buy storage boxes when on offer - very useful. Otherwise vehicles are littered around the layout, which looks very dodgy as little of it is developed scenically.

Glad at least one of you is nuts. I need the company!

Seriously. Her Ladyship is very sick, doubly whats-is-name,  quite helpless, etc. MS really is a bastard. And I do get into some dark places. (that is when I stop following) Then I need to keep well away from the PC lest the entire freakin' world feels my pain. LOL :jester:

Tony.

This was a reject from a previous modelling trees jag BUT I need some generic trees for the riverside at Goathland station, so I dusted it gave it a lick of paint added some brown 'hair'

a slap happy job, no extra little branches for finesse

med_gallery_17883_3001_761504.jpgrmweb316trees1

threw some cheap turf scathe mix at it and plonked it down on the river edge

med_gallery_17883_3001_408911.jpgrmweb327trees3

the same from a different angle - its the one on the far right but one

med_gallery_17883_3001_271498.jpgrmweb328trees4

Another older large tree needs a spruce up haveinghad a bit of a knock about, this picture is not in focus enough but there is copper exposed all over the place

med_gallery_17883_3001_114036.jpgrmweb326trees3

this one was modelled with cork adhesive left over from a job we decided to update making the cork adhesive redundant.

• Like 1

Excellent photos, Jaz

The trees you make are superb...

You should start a work bench thread to put all you 'how to make' in one place.

Hope you and Kal are both well and other family members

Jamie

• Like 2

Well we have been busy little beavers today. Cleared Goathland Station and Sheffield Station, and looked at the large bits of PIR to get the overall shapes into place.

med_gallery_17883_3001_138131.jpgrmwebrmweb337terraforming239

med_gallery_17883_3001_79516.jpgrmweb338terraforming240

• Like 5

Goathland

These are not pretty but they are important

closer

med_gallery_17883_3001_618300.jpgrmweb341terraforming243

a track view

med_gallery_17883_3001_28113.jpgrmweb342terraforming244

The PIR is used to make the platform fronts.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

the gap to the left will be where the river disappears, the little tree on the left was the reject, Goathland is behind you.

med_gallery_17883_3001_475205.jpgrmweb343terraforming245

the river is now the gap on the right, Goathand is immediately in front

med_gallery_17883_3001_520683.jpgrmweb344terraforming246

• Like 3

You can see how much height we can gain from this model look.

med_gallery_17883_3001_323999.jpgrmweb345terraforming247

The gap between Goathlnan station and Heartbeat. The fronf from Goathland has to cross the bridge and align with the one in front of the Aidensfield Arms

med_gallery_17883_3001_271718.jpgrmweb346terraforming248

med_gallery_17883_3001_89340.jpgrmweb347terraforming249

• Like 5

also behind the control centre

med_gallery_17883_3001_243513.jpgrmweb353terraforming255

the small white square of foamr by the river denote the house and weir that will also be added to Gaothland

med_gallery_17883_3001_538385.jpgrmweb354terraforming256

In thelng term there will also be lift off scenic detail that can sit on the control area.

• Like 2

Trees

I went and bought some cheap gardening wire from Wilkinsons, £1 for a roll, and bonus the plastic cover is coloured green.

I have decided I want a big tree with large roots on the edge of the river that will become a waterfall, 

On googling trees, I looked for trees that get big roots, Fagus Sylvatica the beech tree does this

The first three show some great trees.   and my inspiration will be Burnham Beeches..

Burnham-Beeches_25-web.jpgmadegood.org

burnham-beeches-see-do-walks-large.jpgcoolplaces.co.uk

burnham-beeches.jpgcashmerelover.co.uk

At different times of year and when the sun shines thorugh the canopy you get an amazing number of effects.

28.jpgactivemage.co.uk

I now have a bundle of tree silhouettes. 

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Hi dave /runs as required

lovely to see you again. Welcome to Arboretum Valley. :sungum:

Burnham Beeches is ancient woodland. Hence the surreal size. So much of England and Britain lost a lot of trees because of the First and Second World War. So we have so few great (great as in being large) trees now, although fine exceptions do exist. Burnham Beeches is part of my old stomping ground. A pub on the edge has a great Jazz band who play once a week...ah well used to in my younger days. Another has old fashioned skittle games......probably also gone...although at the time is was already very unusual. windsor Great Park is another great place for trees. Anyway I have decided to do a couple of 'Great' trees.

• Like 2

A quick look at the modelling area, Goathlnad is down on the far left, Kalboro on the right

med_gallery_17883_3001_405429.jpgrmweb354terraforming258

a view from the other direction

med_gallery_17883_3001_411345.jpgrmweb357terraforming259

going through to the other loft

med_gallery_17883_3001_427335.jpgrmweb358terraforming260

med_gallery_17883_3001_282727.jpgrmweb359terraforming261

the old loft which we are converting, the shiny stuff in the ceiling is Recticel, which is what we are modelling with.

med_gallery_17883_3001_330034.jpgrmweb360terraforming262

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Have spent 5 mins having a catch up and am impressed with the progress. Nice to see that you'll be modeling the incline approach as in Wills (Hornby&3Ffan) avatar pic.

Kal did you know that there is a cross over at this end of the station? I found that this should have been included on my Goathland version as it would be invaluable for shunting moves and will make things much more interesting. Two peco small rad. points are waiting to go on the 3' extension here!

regards Shaun.