Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi

Very useful info, east to forget scale. Sometimes look at things and think, that is intricate , but when you work it out it is colossal.

Ballast and stone walls come to mind

Edited by Kal

Thank you C&WR, I need rod, though do you not sometimes see flat uprights too? Thank you for the hints.

I bought 

101 .010x.030" .25x.75mm

102 .010x.040" .25x1.0mm

103 .010x.060" .25x1.5mm

They are meant for Ye Olde White Horse Inn, but could be commandeered.I'll check the local shop.

• RMweb Gold

Even 1mm microstrip would be a scale 3", Jaz, so as long as there wasn't too much ovf a lateral curve if I was building that I'd drill some holes on the steps, put in some 1mm or even 0.75mm rod as the balusters, then glue the handrail to the top, probably 0.5mm thick x 1 mm wide.  That would easily bend to follow the angle of the stairs and not have enough flex to pop off...

You might be better off using brass for something like this, you can get 0.5mm x 1mm flat strip, as well as various sizes of wire.

Sorry, Jaz, when I say rod I include square section too.  My rod of all trades is 1.5mm x 1.5mm which I use for fence posts, cranes & all sorts.  It's probably overscale for the posts and underscale for cranes but in my impressionistic modelling it looks OK.

I actually need about 2mm x 2mm x 24mm of square section to make a SCAM 12 (12m Self-Contained Army Mast) for the back of my Wheeled Ptarmigan Radio Relay (the Bedford MK kits arrived today) and assorted bits of sheet (including tread plate) and some brass etched net to build the other gubbins.  I may improvise rather than ordering a whole pack of 2mm x 2mm!  I am going to have a mast head protector bag over the top of the mast so I don't need to portray the circular mast sections which fir inside the square base section...

We have family round and ordered a massive kebab Mez mix from our local (3 miles) kebab shop

= kofte, donner pastourma shish mix, to share between 6, garlic mayo, garlic yogurt, chilli, sauce green chills, everything salad, chips, wedges, chicken, pitta bread, fries...

everything arrived and NO CHILLI sauce arrived!!!! :triniti:  :triniti:  :triniti:  £36.00......and no chilli!!!!!!

I made homemade falafels with extra dried chilli and lemon wedges (for food or cokes as you prefer) as a starter / side

How naff is that

Luckily it was not the first time, and we have sauced/sourced :jester:  a reasonsable substitute........

Who can eat a kebab with NO Chilli sauce

Trees, a close up of the bark on the trunk of my tree, this is taken from elderflower shrub, it grows this lovely texture in only a couple of years, as opposed to some trees which can take decades to develop a good bark. It grows all over the place, and is basically a weed, so cutting some off from a hedgerow (my own) causes no issues

med_gallery_17883_3001_216003.jpgrmweb310terraforming233

and a quick snap set back

med_gallery_17883_3001_264559.jpgrmweb311terraforming234

Ok now its' the church that is screaming at me......

Terraforming

Scripps, now sits in nicely

med_gallery_17883_3001_180901.jpgrmweb312terraforming235

The shame is I can't say the same for  the Aidensfield Arms, the tweaking continues, I initially allowed for 1960s cars, and realised I needed a shave more if I want to do present day as well. I notice The Goathland Hotel can only house small modern cars, so I won't go over board

med_gallery_17883_3001_521762.jpgrmweb313terraforming236

med_gallery_17883_3001_220246.jpgrmweb314terraforming237

oh what the 'ell, Deja Vu....a quick fix before I consider tackling the road markings...I won't bore you with the details.......much :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3001_446001.jpgrmweb315terraforming238

• Like 2

You have a Party going there     .......................................................    All that talk of his Steamers and your Potting shed Castle     ...................................   and    :O

and NO CHILLI sauce arrived!!!!

How on Earth are you going to fire up all those old boilers   .....................................  

I am really sorry     ............................      :dontknow:

I should have included in the previous post

I initially allowed for 1960s cars, and realised I needed a shave more if I want to do present day as well.

If you are really going to want to go from the 60's to present day    ...........................................................................    you might well need rather more than a shave   .........    :stink:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For those handrails, brass is definitely the way to go as Plastikard will be too flimsy and prone to warping. Brass is easy to shape and solder, although you may want to use metal blackening on it rather than paint, at least as a base.

P.s. the whole overall scene is looking spot on.

Weeeeeeeee

Actually playing with my trains this evening.

37 Rfd's sound first with the CMS track cleaner

Then an A4 sound with a rake of 4 LNER teaks

A midland blue Pullman. and finally Brighton Belle 1938.

Some configuration of Traincontroller to adjust the stopping characteristics at Goathland

And noticed some point work that is running a bit rough, although only the Pullman derailed, so I think the back to backs may need checking on that.

But a bit of fun anyways

Edited by Kal
  • Like 5

Hi Jaz

Great photos of the pond and the wedding / funeral cars, very good.

Kal,  it sounds like your having a good time mate

I should be getting my Zimo class 47 sound tomorrow in Rail Freight Distribution two tone grey...

Jamie

• Like 3

Weeeeeeeee

Actually playing with my trains this evening.

37 Rfd's sound first with the CMS track cleaner

Then an A4 sound with a rake of 4 LNER teaks

A midland blue Pullman. and finally Brighton Belle 1938.

Some configuration of Traincontroller to adjust the stopping characteristics at Goathland

And noticed some point work that is running a bit rough, although only the Pullman derailed, so I think the back to backs may need checking on that.

But a bit of fun anyways

Kal,

Will you be posting any "proof" that you'd been playing trains on YouTube?

Regards

Roy

HI Roy

Nice to hear from you again, as you can see we also thought the top set of Goathland buildings looked best of the two sets.

I think Jaz took some videos of at least some of my testing loops. Not sure which she got, but I will be doing some more over the weekend so they will no doubt be captured too. 

On the top loop Heritage line, things look pretty smooth apart from the Blue Pullman, so I may even give a few more locos a run around.

No doubt there will be more snagging required, but good news is the 37 pulled and pushed the CMX up and down the inclines without incident, so that is look good.

How did you get on with the SwitchPilot  and Resistors for using cobalts?

You have a Party going there     .......................................................    All that talk of his Steamers and your Potting shed Castle     ...................................   and    :O

How on Earth are you going to fire up all those old boilers   .....................................  

With Hungarian chicken goulash well actually it's Paprikas(h), a meal I can honestly say people say, after they have tasted it, is good enough to be in a top restaurant. 

And for dessert? I'm making a train, if the jelly works out ok I'll do a photo. (It is low calorie jelly and can be VERY temperamental.)

Anyway tonite meals is all started so I am off to do modelling.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

(It is low calorie jelly and can be VERY temperamental.)

Sorry to inform you Jaz   ............................................     but, as with the full size train   ....    it needs Calories in order to make it go  .............

FYI

I have been sorting out links on page one to videos (including some of our trains running) and photographs, I am on page 10 so far. And as we are at page 99 this might take a while!!!!!!

Still for those who like to see some of the locos or AV on a walkabout page one is the place to be.

ENJOY

This wouldn't look too out of place on Shefield Park Kal!

Built in Brighton of all places!

My love of kettles must be in my blood, being from a big railway town. HA ha ha!!!

Now it looks very old fashioned but can you imagine the pure excitement back in the late Edwardian period taking your first trip to London behind Gladstone?

Pure splendor!

attachicon.gifLBSCR Gladstone.jpg

I meant to say this earlier...but that Loco looks fantastic. Does anyone make and RTR or kit  of it?

Yes I know I can and I will google it, but first hand knowledge is often more useful.

post-11566-0-11132200-1390654286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Gold

I meant to say this earlier...but that Loco looks fantastic. Does anyone make and RTR or kit  of it?

Yes I know I can and I will google it, but first hand knowledge is often more useful.

attachicon.gifLBSCR Gladstone.jpg

Kal,

I think the short answer is 'no'.

The long answer is that it is a 19th loco and the R-T-R companies do not touch anything that did not last until BR days.  They do a number of pre-grouping models, (Pre-1923) but all of them lasted at least until the 1950s.

Victorian locos are useually only available as kits, mostly brass ones, which is an issue for me as so far I have not learnt to solder kits together.  As for making my own chassis...........

Victorian railways were different.  The locos looked brilliant, and were not as big as 20th century ones.  There were a lot of 4 and 6 wheel coaches, and everything was kept CLEAN.