Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Gold

Layout and workbench threads on the whole are much more friendly and attract a more balanced crowd.

:O

Seriously??

You sit there in your Bat suit, and with all the evidence, you say we're balanced!

Sheesh!

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Oooooo. Some people are so touchy. ;)

I have a bunch of steamers and I suppose saying they all look the same was a little insensitive. Some have more wheels than the others. :)

It's bit like saying all my yellow coaches look the same........... although having said that - they do all have the same number of wheels.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. It's not all diesels and yellow in my world.  Took delivery of a blue Tornado as a birthday present to self a couple of days ago!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This wouldn't look too out of place on Shefield Park Kal!

Built in Brighton of all places!

My love of kettles must be in my blood, being from a big railway town. HA ha ha!!!

Now it looks very old fashioned but can you imagine the pure excitement back in the late Edwardian period taking your first trip to London behind Gladstone?

Pure splendor!

post-8964-0-17928400-1390537104_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

Ooh  ...   ooh  ...  ohh  .....  Me too, Me too   ........................    I got one two too   .................................................    got yella coaches wiv it an' all    ........  it's a bit ancient 'though, but I don't mind it being Booked for speeding   .....

Got school run now - will Rocket back and post picture   ..............

• Like 2

Here we are,

Booked for speeding, so it ended up with the Contract in 1829, Speeding at 29 MPH   :locomotive:    .....................................     [many road users these days would find that quite fast!]

So, later, it ended up also being "Booked" by Hornby   .............................

12115381543_46e1edb79c_z.jpg
Stevenson 1 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 4

Well I have to say I have never realised that yellow was a steam livery option. It just goes to show one should never make assumptions. And falls in well with our

Trains, planes, and now Automobiles present thread sub title.

med_gallery_17883_2804_416548.jpgrmweb176bobby1

med_gallery_17883_2797_715169.jpgrmweb180RAF4

I put this up on Newbryfords thread, but at the moment it appears appropriate here........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

WOW!   ......   I haven't heard that for decades         .....................................................................................................................................   thanks for that reminder of why, Jaz  .......... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Good on yer Al,

Although mine is more of a Digital picture  .......................     :scratchhead:

It looks good on the tracks too.  Does the Smoke generator [the intended one] work on yours?

As I recall, it generated smoke and steam from every orifice, as well as smuts, soot and ash :)

Good fun though, traveling in a cattle truck...

• RMweb Gold

This wouldn't look too out of place on Shefield Park Kal!

Built in Brighton of all places!

My love of kettles must be in my blood, being from a big railway town. HA ha ha!!!

Now it looks very old fashioned but can you imagine the pure excitement back in the late Edwardian period taking your first trip to London behind Gladstone?

Pure splendor!

attachicon.gifLBSCR Gladstone.jpg

I do love that livery.  I can imagine the conversation at Board level.

"You want to paint them WHAT colour?"

"But we run trains to Brighton!"

"Obvious choice then."

(My middle son lives in Brighton so we know it fairly well.)

• Like 1

Looking at the steps this morning, I wasn't so impressed with the colour

med_gallery_17883_3001_642453.jpgrmweb293terraforming214

It's rather grey and blah.

even this small bit of the mud on the left lifted it

med_gallery_17883_3001_516970.jpgrmweb294terraforming216

And taken in context.....not much tonal balance

med_gallery_17883_3001_901244.jpgrmweb297terrforming219

So out came the paints and basically I started darkening it.

med_gallery_17883_3001_343768.jpgrmweb298terraforming220

• Like 1

I was pleased, but felt it was not enough to continued, and while I was at it attacked the road so it had the same tones.

med_gallery_17883_3001_550006.jpgrmweb299terrforming221

also this is a country lane, so is not so pretty or tidy, so dribble some, glue

med_gallery_17883_3001_251317.jpgrmweb300terraforming222

added some light scattering of foam turf, then quickly set it in place to see how it was shaping up

med_gallery_17883_3001_101971.jpgrmweb301terraforming223

• Like 2

The join is still looking awful, and needs addressing

Firstly though I attack the tree, and improve the colour, more copydex, foam turf ad a light spray of hairspray 

med_gallery_17883_3001_359949.jpgrmweb302terraforming224

the join at the bottom right of the steps keep catching my eye, so it gets, some PVA and small and very small shrubs

the tree is removed for access, while I am at I attack near the pond as well, waste not want not....

med_gallery_17883_3001_679559.jpgrmweb303terrforming225

The tree hole also glares out, so a quick attack of black, add some glue around the top

med_gallery_17883_3001_498405.jpgrmweb303teraforming226

and add some foam turf to match existing, If I had not had the same I could have used different and scattered some shrubs there in stew. The important thing is that the colours and textures match those nearby

med_gallery_17883_3001_29522.jpgrmweb304terraforming227

• Like 2

Step back get camera and take a picture, I had also attacked the side of the road bridge adding more shrubs small and very small

slowly we are building up the texture and colour, the resin this works IMO is that the colours are reflected further afield.

med_gallery_17883_3001_545011.jpgrmweb305terraformng228

a closer look, seeing the work just done, and showing the work still to do

med_gallery_17883_3001_443710.jpgrmweb306229

A new home for the foxes?

med_gallery_17883_3001_387711.jpgrmweb307terraforming230

and one showing off both trees, constructed from real branches and rubberised

med_gallery_17883_3001_280288.jpghorsehair

• Like 2

I was considering it originally when I thought of a pristine set of steps, I might add some equally battered ones, I think it would add something, am also considering the warning slippery if wet sign mentioned. I still have to address the slope that is due to be at the bottom of the steps, or even a couple more steps where a handrail would help draw it into the model. I did buy some evergreen but I got thin flat stuff for windows, need to source some round stuff.

Although just googled handrails these are nice

Dyrham-park-handrail-1.jpgironart.co.uk

with acg_mr's masterclass on heating and bending that would certainly be something to try.

• Like 1

Even 1mm microstrip would be a scale 3", Jaz, so as long as there wasn't too much ovf a lateral curve if I was building that I'd drill some holes on the steps, put in some 1mm or even 0.75mm rod as the balusters, then glue the handrail to the top, probably 0.5mm thick x 1 mm wide.  That would easily bend to follow the angle of the stairs and not have enough flex to pop off...