Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Blast ...... I feel defiled

Without realising I have posted a blooming kettle instead of a lovely diesel on the top of page 100, and to rub salt in the wound, I was the dimwit that posted it  :banghead:

Still, at least it looks cool, even if it is not an A4

• Like 1

Kal,

I think the short answer is 'no'.

The long answer is that it is a 19th loco and the R-T-R companies do not touch anything that did not last until BR days.  They do a number of pre-grouping models, (Pre-1923) but all of them lasted at least until the 1950s.

Victorian locos are useually only available as kits, mostly brass ones, which is an issue for me as so far I have not learnt to solder kits together.  As for making my own chassis...........

Victorian railways were different.  The locos looked brilliant, and were not as big as 20th century ones.  There were a lot of 4 and 6 wheel coaches, and everything was kept CLEAN.

Thanks Chris

Typical , you find something to make you alter your perspective on the old tin cans and you are thwarted....  

I have ....  a T9 somewhere, which I think (hoping to not look to dim here)  similar.   Maybe that or something similar could be modified .... hmm, won't happen anytime soon, but one in the old top draw for later me thinks.

Edited by Kal

Jaz:

This is a very good idea, particularly for newcomers. The one and only downside to a free and fun site is that not being familiar with the participants ,and with the ongoing humour, newbies might be put off  which would be a shame. Equally, those of us who'd like to refresh our knowledge of former work - the "old" Goathland is a good example - could do so more easily.

Actually, most long threads, would benefit from this approach.

The work is very well worth it! Thanks in advance. :)

Tony.

GEM - George E Mellor - made a kit in the late 60s-ish. I may still have some bits lurking.

Thank you Ian,  that is a good lead.

I will have to see where it leads

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Gold

Kal,

GEM kits are whitemetal, so glueable.  You will just need to hack a chassis abaout to fit it on.

Ian,

Thank you for reminding me about GEM.  I need to set up an eBay search and se what comes up.

Jaz:

This is a very good idea, particularly for newcomers. The one and only downside to a free and fun site is that not being familiar with the participants ,and with the ongoing humour, newbies might be put off  which would be a shame. Equally, those of us who'd like to refresh our knowledge of former work - the "old" Goathland is a good example - could do so more easily.

Actually, most long threads, would benefit from this approach.

The work is very well worth it! Thanks in advance. :)

Tony.

Hi thanks Tony

Very good points. We would like anyone, especially those that may feel nervous to dip their toes in, to feel they could have a say, or ask a question they might think silly, without the fear of being laughed at.

There are no silly questions, and even if there were, we are not qualified in any way to classify them as such.

I hope AV shows a fun side, and as I said right from the off, it will be not to everyones taste, but I hope we never ever alienate anyone in this topic.

Both for myself , trying to find stuff we and others posted , and for those that might want to cut through some of the humour and ramblings, I hope the Index is helpful and will grow in a direction, through suggestions into something people find useful.

As with many things on AV (probably MOST things)  I (we) are again standing on the shoulders of giants.  The idea of the index came from the Kirby Luneside thread and the use of links, from one or more of our contributors, sorry... not sure who, until it is indexed, but please feel free to take a bow.

it is not just about us and in fact......we feel like Legion.... for we are many

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kal,

The T9 is a 4-4-0 and the Gladstone is a 0-4-2 and they are from different companies so the T9 would not carry the same livery.  I was trying to find what livery it did carry, but the website is down at the moment.  I think it would have been a light green colour in its early days.

It is true the T9 will look more like its Victorian counterparts than some that were built later in the century.

Kal,

The T9 is a 4-4-0 and the Gladstone is a 0-4-2 and they are from different companies so the T9 would not carry the same livery.  I was trying to find what livery it did carry, but the website is down at the moment.  I think it would have been a light green colour in its early days.

It is true the T9 will look more like its Victorian counterparts than some that were built later in the century.

Thank-you,  no silly questions, but I can still find my way clear to make silly statements Doh!   :scratchhead:

took me 4 years to understand (partly)  the Tops classes. Pre tops seems even more daunting  :scared:

It is good to have knowledgeable people to steer us in the right direction.  I don't suppose chopping the front two wheels wheels off would cut it?   :stinker:  See wrong again, I can ask a silly question :angel:

I've thought about it but it might be difficult.

Is it worth going?

Hi

Not sure, never been before, but it looked to be straight up the A1 and i thought if there were a few people going that we chat too , it maybe worth a look.

Not been to that many shows, Spalding, Peterborough, Lincoln and Newark, plus Wrecrail at Market Harborough and a trip to Warley last time.

Warley was a bit big for me personally, Wrecrail was great, much more intimate, as was Lincoln.  Newark and Peterborough I find good too, but more from a discovery look and see perspective, less intimate though.  Spalding I love, it can be a bit crowded at times, but it has a real vibe I cannot put my finger on.

None were disappointing, but all were different.

I totally agree with Kal. We listen to our posters, often taking advantage of their knowledge, we search other threads, and copy ideas. No one need be afraid to post here, as we are not likely to shoot anyone down in flames. My mother used to say you only learn from asking questions, even silly questions have value.

Our only aims are:-

1. to enjoy ourselves :yahoo:

2. to make friends :friends:

3. to have a go at as many aspects of modelling as we can :locomotive:

4. to share ideas with similar minded people.  :help:

5, to steal copy all good ideas we come across, that is if we have have a chance of emulating them :butcher:

We glean ideas from both great and small layouts. People who yet have a layout :read: and those that have the knowledge but can no longer run one.  

And go off topic and just have a bit of fun... :offtopic:  

We are probably like that strange cheese at the back of the fridge.....your wondering if you want to sample it....it tastes strange....but you keep going back to check it.....do you like it? do you hate it? gawd knows but you can't resist seeing if it has gone mouldy :jester:

and amongst that I try to put up some pictures on at least every page, my best/worst so far 29 (if I find this inaccurate I'll update) pictures to every one one page.......

edit= And a big thank you to all our readers, 100 pages who woulda thought it eh?

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thank-you,  no silly questions, but I can still find my way clear to make silly statements Doh!   :scratchhead:

took me 4 years to understand (partly)  the Tops classes. Pre tops seems even more daunting  :scared:

It is good to have knowledgeable people to steer us in the right direction.  I don't suppose chopping the front two wheels wheels off would cut it?   :stinker:  See wrong again, I can ask a silly question :angel:

Kal,

No, that would make it a 2-4-0.  It is interesting that I have understood the wheel arrangements for steam locos for as long as I remember.  I also know the major express classes for the 'big four' companies and the BR standards but as you go further back there are lots and lots of locos of the smaller types, many of which survived until BR times, so there is still much that I can learn.

My excuse is that I have spent a lot of years being mainly interested in narrow gauge so have not researched the main line railways as much.

Edited by ChrisN

Planes, Trains,Automobiles

Automobiles...I realised we still have more in another box. So much ended up boxed when we ripped this area up

the bus, centre of at least one Heartbeat storyline

med_gallery_17883_3001_430907.jpgrmweb316cars14

the red lorry we are using until we can source better

med_gallery_17883_3001_149400.jpgrmweb317cars15

the old mobile shop, plenty of people must remember these, I can remember one on our street

oooh oooh bins, theres bins bins and PIG BINS I need some pig bins - basically buckets with lids

med_gallery_17883_3001_403857.jpgrmweb317car16

2 other buses, one was a close colour, the other a close shape

med_gallery_17883_3001_638287.jpgr

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

:)

Just reading a post on another thread, where AV was described as anarchic. Never really thought about it like that and first time I have ever seen us mentioned outside of here. So as a celebration of our notoriety (relative of course), a trip back to my youth.

I give you.....

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kal,

At the risk of repeating myself, I much prefer threads where there is information given about how things are done, questions asked, and information received then posts going 'wow' than those more sterile ones that say 'here is one I did earlier' and then waiting for the 'wow's to come.

100 pages, you must be doing something right.

:)

Just reading a post on another thread, where AV was described as anarchic. Never really thought about it like that and first time I have ever seen us mentioned outside of here. So as a celebration of our notoriety (relative of course), a trip back to my youth.

I give you.....

:O Name names! :jester:

Congrats on 100 pages.

FTR: A V is one of the only threads I still follow these days - inc Sasquatches of course - having disgraced myself embarrassingly on most others! (I blame the meds, being a round-the-clock Carer, hence lack of sleep! :(  I have to have some excuse cos I keep doing it! I read somewhere that doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is a sure sign on insanity... Guilty! :beee: )

Tony.

mweb31817

a horse box, and I think the Peter Sellers mini (or is it Mr Bean - we have both I get confused)

med_gallery_17883_3001_191716.jpgrmweb319cars18

a black mariah, a DB5 and a fire vehicle which I wouldn't like to re colour BUT would sort out the heartbeat grey police car,

the AA man and his motorbike, is a 2CV6 ok for this era? I think there were in France before they were popular here.

med_gallery_17883_3001_146118.jpgrmweb320cars19

and this massive thing...it always make me do a double take and think...wrong scale??? But people have assured me it is the correct scale.

med_gallery_17883_3001_302124.jpgrmweb321cars 20

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2