Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

So..... While i I was on my travels, I thought. Would take some photos of Peterborough station in its new format.

Hopefully I will try and recreate this or some of it, in the other loft when I finish boarding it.post-11566-0-24680100-1391184900_thumb.jpg

post-11566-0-06004100-1391185010_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It doesn't get more modern than that!

Make one hell of a layout with loads of scratch building. But way too contemporary for my tastes.

Great Northern's Peterborough North, on RMweb - I'd link it if I had the grey cells -©1958ish is more to my taste. The girder bridge is about the only recognisable thing.

I'll take a liberty with a picture from the layout

post-4901-0-20144500-1391189374.jpg

• Like 3

My daughter is exactly the same - she can't go anywhere without a book - even sits cross legged on the floor in a morning, with one sock on trying to read while getting dressed.

My son however, starts crying whenever you mention reading a book. Don't know where we're going wrong - both my wife and I are addicts

Anyone read Terry Pratchett?

His current Discworld novel is about the advent of Steam Engines...

Can't get enough of him. :sungum:  :sungum:  I have all of his books in hardback and paperback. The reason I have the paperback ones is that I read them so frequently they wear out :O  :O :o  

Duncan

My goodness  .......    what a list of old toys and books  .............

Shouldn't you lot be looking at what modern toys to be buying for the latest generation of kids    ...........   Like these new toys I got     ...........................

12238800404_b0e17e7597_c.jpg
DSC_0537 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

...........................   from my old toy box    ...........

Some old cars always a treat  ......

12238937846_c88f7ceae6_c.jpg
DSC_0541 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.......   and of course a couple of Soldiers   .....................

12238376415_2eb86866e3_c.jpg
DSC_0539 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 7

So..... While i I was on my travels, I thought. Would take some photos of Peterborough station in its new format.

Hopefully I will try and recreate this or some of it, in the other loft when I finish boarding it.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Were the good people of Peterborough not at all worried to have a man in a Cape, tight pants and funny hood walking along the Platform with his camera?

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

Your Dinky collection is much better than mine, Julian!

But I do recall getting the Rolls Royce as a kid. If I remember correctly it is/was one of the first of its kind with chrome-plastic trim. It was awesome at the time and cost five shillings, I think.

Tony.

• Like 1

Tony - you are spot on with the first chrome trim    ......................................................     and     ...................................................   remember this  .................................   steering front wheels  ............    :O

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just caught up again.

Jaz,

The tree is superb, without doubt the best tree you have done.  100ft, that would make it 400mm.  Most trees on layouts are far too small but you have the space to do it justice.

Toys.

I still have a Britains farm and animals given to me on my 5th birthday/Christmas.  Also, I have my TT gauge layout which was given to me a year later, (including all the stuff we gave to my son 30 years later.)

Look & Learn.  Much to my wife's annoyance when my mum died and I had finally to take the stuff I had managed to leave there for nearly 30 years I brought my collection of Look & Learn home.  The second ever edition has on the front a picture of a painting of a Life Guard on a horse with two big drums.  Little did I know that when he was 80, he would become my step grand dad and marry my Gran, a mere slip of a girl at 82.   I am incredibly proud of him, not because e had his picture painted, but because he told me he was an 'Old Contemptable'.  I must find out, particularly as it is nearly 100 years ago he embarked for France, what his battle honours were.  I do know he was at 'Wipers' though.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 5

OOOhhhhhh    ...   NNNoooooooooooo     ............................    Jas, you are getting Sooooo confused   ....................

Mine's  more in line with the pink and yellow dots beach buggy,

Surely the dots were on a Bikini      ..................................   unless   ..........................................    :O   ..............................................    Nooo!   ..............................   the Bikini was ..  Errr .....   dangling from the Buggy mirrors    ..........    :O  :O     ..............................................................................            .................................................               ...                ..        .

:secret:   ...  :yes:   ...  :swoon:     .......................    :whistle:

OOOhhhhhh    ...   NNNoooooooooooo     ............................    Jas, you are getting Sooooo confused   ....................

Surely the dots were on a Bikini      ..................................   unless   ..........................................    :O   ..............................................    Nooo!   ..............................   the Bikini was ..  Errr .....   dangling from the Buggy mirrors    ..........    :O  :O     ..............................................................................            .................................................               ...                ..        .

:secret:   ...  :yes:   ...  :swoon:     .......................    :whistle:

Tut tut....I have taken a picture.......

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  ....................................................................

.................................................   this can be viewed before the water has gone in the Shed   ............................     :O  :no:  :O  :no:  :O

Modern Day Peterborough Station

More peterboro reference pictures....specifically detailing....

med_gallery_17883_3106_572176.jpgrmweb536peterboro1

Edit = This one is unusual, and worth a red

med_gallery_17883_3106_403170.jpgrmweb537peterboro2

med_gallery_17883_3106_220107.jpgrmweb538peterboro3

med_gallery_17883_3106_218065.jpgrmweb539peterboro4

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

I  ....   knew it   ...............................................

I shouldn't have done it  ...................................

I shouldn't have posted that picture   .......................

You should see the Bill I have just got from DVLA     ..........................................     :O  :O

Out of date Car Tax - notices and SORN - "failure to notify" charges     ......................................     :scared:  :scared:  :yes:  :swoon:   ......................

Should have stayed with DINKY and not thought a Mini Driver, might be a good addition to the layout     .............................

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I  ....   knew it   ...............................................

I shouldn't have done it  ...................................

I shouldn't have posted that picture   .......................

You should see the Bill I have just got from DVLA     ..........................................     :O  :O

Out of date Car Tax - notices and SORN - "failure to notify" charges     ......................................     :scared:  :scared:  :yes:  :swoon:   ......................

Should have stayed with DINKY and not thought a Mini Driver, might be a good addition to the layout     .............................

No, no, no!

The notices are a scam.  DON'T send them any money.  Any car over 25 years old is exempt.

Thanks Brass0Four

Well thanks to Julian's collection... sorry Jaz.

But I will say... I'm sure Jaz will pull it out of the bag, like the tree that was excellent, but earlier photos of the tree left a lot to the imagination.

Jamie

Great pictures of the new new Peterborough station.

Not been there for ages, despite my "office" being in Midland Road, I spend more time in Didcot :(

There is a thread on here somewhere just about Peterborough that you may not have seen.

• Like 1

Thanks Brass0Four

Well thanks to Julian's collection... sorry Jaz.

But I will say... I'm sure Jaz will pull it out of the bag, like the tree that was excellent, but earlier photos of the tree left a lot to the imagination.

Jamie

Trees are so bloody hard! The foundations are vital, but not pretty. If they are wrong - if there's no artist's eye for balance (an ongoing issue throughout the build) then no amount of finish will save a dodgy armature. It takes guts to keep it in spring. Summer, and you can smother it in foliage, get away with murder.

I was looking at some Gravetts stuff (google Pempoul for those not familiar) and the trees seem late spring - a bit more floaty green, done with something like Woodland Scenics foliage I'll bet - Gorgeous stuff!

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Forgot to say but Tony reminded me.The tree shape is brilliant, so I am glad it has not been covered in summer foliage and hidden. 

You have to watch the bogers though, (no, not Andy P), the bodgers.  They lived in the woods near High Wycombe and made furniture, good furniture, from the local beech trees.

• Like 1