Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Question.....

How many locos/mu would you consider to be over the top. I tend to think I have too many, but just counting some on another persons layout, who uses a basic DCC system, has no scenery and still has over a hundred.

Is that unusual, or do lots of people have so many?

Not asking for specifics, or even about your own collections, more a straw pole of the people you know and what is ?normal?

Edited by Kal

Ah Kal has a better memory than me p70.

flagman.jpg

But the flag man I have has a small flag like 1 foot x 1 foot do I reduce the white and blue squares?????? Other wise I will only fit in like 4 squares!!!!

Edited by Jaz

I think flags may have got bigger as time has gone on?

Having said that the red, yellow and green flags seen in signal boxes look smaller than my lookout flags, so maybe it's to do with use and era?

Only guessing mind.

Question.....

How many locos/mu would you consider to be over the top. I tend to think I have too many, but just counting some on another persons layout, who uses a basic DCC system, has no scenery and still has over a hundred.

Not asking for specifics, or even about your own collections, more a straw pole of the people you know and what is ?normal?

IMHO, you can't have too many

Duncan

• Like 1

Should that guy be wearing a safety hat?

interesting disscussion.

When I went on my first pts course in 2003 there was a guy from HMRI on it too.

The same question was asked. He said that safety hats had crept Onto the railway through the use of contractors and their intertreptation of h&s laws. Basically it used to left to individuals to decide and most would choose not too. Let's face it if you are hit by a train a hat is not going to stop you being spread over several miles of pway.

Now you will see all orange as train drivers seem to think orange jackets float, hats, gloves and googles. None of which are much good if ballast is flicked up by a 100mph train or if something falls off it. The goggles are good if the toilet is flushed as the train passes you though.

Question.....

The Pt Way Dept rolls his eyes a bit when he spots any new stock, as the space we have is limited and being on DC we can only run two sets of motive power at one time.  However with the isolation possible at various points of the layout with careful shunting and by not making up trains which are too long I reckon I could have about seven locomotives/DMUs on Wallington-Super-Mare at any one time without needing to resort to the Hand of God.

As I explained on my thread I try to run things for Dad's childhood (or actually just before, born in 1941 he wouldn't actually remember the GWR in its pomp); mine as I grew up (but that covers BR Blue into Swallow livery); and then TSC's life (although he was born in 2006 and wouldn't remember trains much before FGW).  The roster is:

GWR:  King Class*, Prairie*, Pannier Tank*, Railcare, "Holden Tankr" (the last belonging to TSC & his pride and joy).  I would like to add a 14XX to work with my Autocoach.

BR:  Western* (sand coloured), Warshipe (blue), HST*, Peake, 47e (GWR 150 Livery), 37e (Inter City Swallow), 08e (Blue), 117 DMUe (just seen there's a headlight pack for that, tempted!)

Current-ish: 220d (Cross Country), 166e (NSE), A1 Peppercorn Tornadod.  With a lottery win I would add FGW HST and 166.

Rolling stock is skewed a bit.  I have a pretty good collection of mixed freight stuff for the GWR years, especially the brewery wagons and private owner wagons which I have started collecting if the locations of origin have significance.  I have a little rake of coaches, a Siphon & a TPO to go behind the King, a set of clerestory coaches and the Autocoach.

For passenger stock I am probably best off for BR maroon (seven Hachette Job Mk1s and a Bachmann BSK) and BR Blue (a fair collection of Mk1s and Mk2s, certainly enough for my current layout), and a decent collection of random BGs and vans based around a Bachmann POS to make a parcels/post train.

However it is freight stock that I'm a bit short of for later periods.  I have two pairs of the Dapol spine wagons which are beautiful models but won't stay on my track (in fact I have routine problems with Dapol couplings, even when connected together rather than Dapol-Modern Hornby or Dapol-Old Hornby/Lima) and have started buying bits and pieces from eBay like the Tarmac & Yeoman hopper wagons and 16T minerals (kicking myself I didn't buy another box of these at about £4 each when in Exmouth last summer).

In short I can't fit all my stock on the layout at one time; it can get a bit crowded for GWR; and it can be a bit sparse for the current era (or could until I bought the Tornado) unless I have a railtour with the King Class on it as well!

Edit to add annotations:

* stuff from childhood.

eBay Specials

new, but bought at significant discount

new at RRP.

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2

HI

I like the way you can run different era. I tend to buy things when they are on sale put them to one side on the basis, that:

A: I may do a scene around that

B: it could be used for a future repaint project

C: If I never use it, as it was sold at a sale price, then if I sell it on in the future I will get close to my investment

I got into this habit, because it was annoying trying to make a full train e.g. FGW HST, to find I had missed the boat and now it was silly money to buy the missing coaches.

I now buy if I see something end of line, on sale and if it is remotely possible, I might use it.

Fly in the ointment..  well to date I have sold nothing. I keep thinking, hmm won't ever use that and then think, yep but a respray and I will get something I want.

I suppose , when I actually get round to respraying one, it will be such a mess :butcher: I will never want to do it again :O and then there will be a fire sale  :you:

• Like 1

I must admit that with the exception of the brewery/private owner wagons, generally sold by MRCs and with charitable intent, I have not bought anything motive power or rolling stock at full price since getting back into the hobby!  I have an occasional scan of eBay for bits I would like, but have a strict limit of about £5 for a wagon, £7 for a coach and £40 for motive power, these costs to include postage.

I would like some ARC wagons as I was brought up near their HQ and went past it every day n the way to Secondary School, but the second hand Lima ones go for more than my £5 limit so I won't have them.  Similarly I won't be having any FGW stuff in a hurry - with a 166 going for upwards of £200, HST Power Cars for £300 a pair, coaches for £50 and special coaches like the TGS and TRUB for nearer £100 to get a decent set up would cost more than our rather lovely sofa did!

How many locos/mu would you consider to be over the top.

There are currently far too many Locos in this house - on the grounds that there is only a Sandwich size Shunting Puzzle to run them on    ......

There has been a deliberate plot to obtain the other Locos as and when they pop up over the parapet .............................   each one has been a representation of one which has been travelled on by a member of the family 

A couple of SWT DMUs of 2 types, FGW HST, from SWMBO travel to work + Prince William Class 47 from work

Class 08 and 0-6-0ST from Longmoor Mil Rail

S&DJR + coaches, Class 56XX + a couple of look-alike coaches, Eurostar, from days out

Harry Potter because Mini Driver is well into it  .........  and has a picture of herself flying a Broomstick over the train on a viaduct  ......

The only one which doesn't fit is a Class 8750, GWR  ....   for no other reason than I liked the look of it   ......    [there are no prospects of romance here, it should be emphasised]

The "Grab when Spotted" policy has only really had one downfall, in that I bought a Second-hand ViTrains Prince William, then found myself getting a modern Chassis for it  .....   then   .....   Bachmann produced a new Limited Edition  .......... 

...   I now have a spare Prince William    ..........   :rolleyes:

Trucks for the Shunt Puzzle chosen because Mini Driver quite liked them   ........   :dontknow:

The eventual plot is to produce 1 or 2 boards which are very portable and can be stored behind doors etc      .................................................................   either that or FleeBay might start to look good  ..........    :derisive:

My models choice is getting quite poor, I am basically left with......railway bits and pieces........oooooooh no found some fence.  :jester:

Do As Sasquatch said. Get some Wills stuff and get scratch-building big-style. A good book is: "PLASTIC STRUCTURE KITS - Making the Most of the Wills Scenic Series" by Iain Rice. Wild Swan. :-D

The Gravetts tree book and the above and you'll quickly be where you deserve to be IMHO

Tony.

edit: I just checked Peterkern 23 http://www.rmweb.co....g/#entry1299402

(last post on Foggie's thread) and he is bloody good! - and I'm not easily impressed structures-wise)

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

Hi Tony

Jaz was looking into that kit yesterday, I will order it next time I am buying other stuff.

By strange coincidence, I was in Halfords the other day buying Primer and it crossed my mind that car body filler could be used for making walls, but was not sure how it would perform.

Seems it will be worth a try, if I can show Jaz and convince her it is worth her effort.

She was not convinced by the PIR until I made a poor mock up of a wall, which she then thought she could make a better job of. well she was right and now look :)

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

I need a hug emoticon for my husband  :sungum: . He is right, he usually has some great ideas, which I then attempt to put into practise. Very little ends up in the bin. He usually thinks it out for some time before putting the idea forward, by then he has considered ALL my arguments and got answers for them. :jester:

Glad to see when I went out today you all behaved your self. I shall expect the same semblance or order tomorrow morning whilst I pop to the shops. :triniti:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kal, on 03 Feb 2014 - 14:56, said:

Question.....

Every one needs a hobby. Now I concentrate on the one, things have taken off. Too much life got in the way in the past.

There are trains in my collection I have had for over 30 years. What I do is save and squander on everything except the locos. When something new comes out I want then the modeling budget normally covers it. Not looking forward to this year as far too many LNER locos have been announced (I'm not going to start whining on about manufacturers inability to cover all markets at once instead of.... Blah blah blah) not to mention wanting to build 2 N2s and 2 J50s.

LNER are my thing ever since my first unboxed Lima J50 and the Hornby B12 my dad brought me when he came back from the UAE in 1979.

Mrs. S is fed up with buying engines for presents every Birthday and Christmas.

So the answer is no it's not unusual to have over 100 locos. Maintaining that many however is an ongoing task.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

You can never have too many Kal. 

I think I have 

10 locos

4 DMUs

and currently I just have 2 ovals of track on a 4 x 8 sheet!! 

I also have a

Jubilee 'DRAKE'

Class 57

Class 87 

A EMT DMU

A EMT HST 

(These five are not in the era I model but I couldn't resist)

Edited by thebritfarmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not too sure about the car body filler Kal. We used a similar product on furniture and the cheesy working life isn't long the stuff is a liquid and starts off very runny. Also the setting paste is nasty smelly stuff to work with.

So party tomorrow morning or what???? :danced:  :drink_mini:  :drink_mini:  :crazy_mini:  :dancing:  :smoke:   :bad:    

Every one needs a hobby. Now I concentrate on the one, things have taken off. Too much life got in the way in the past.

There are trains in my collection I have had for over 30 years. What I do is save and squander on everything except the locos. When something new comes out I want then the modeling budget normally covers it. Not looking forward to this year as far too many LNER locos have been announced (I'm not going to start whining on about manufacturers inability to cover all markets at once instead of.... Blah blah blah) not to mention wanting to build 2 N2s and 2 J50s.

LNER are my thing ever since my first unboxed Lima J50 and the Hornby B12 my dad brought me when he came back from the UAE in 1979.

Mrs. S is fed up with buying engines for presents every Birthday and Christmas.

So the answer is no it's not unusual to have over 100 locos. Maintaining that many however is an ongoing task.

So..... you like A4's??

I have 2 or 3 A4's I shall have to take some pics.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1