Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Agree with Sasquatch about the Car Body Filler  ....   as he says, it starts off runny and you spend time trying to keep it where the repair is, then as it gets thicker, it gets more sticky than thick, so when you push it into place with the Palette Knife - it follows the Knife back out again when you try to take it away. You then end up scraping the Knife off on the side of the repair, leaving lumps.

That's not too bad when you are about to use a rotary or belt sander to get it smooth  ...  but on a bit of wall???????.....    :nono:

Yea  ....    PARTY TOMORROW FOLKS   ........   :danced:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

SSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  ....   she's not gone shopping yet   ............

• Like 1

hmmm.... :O

yes....but....well.... there was 35 of the class.....   :paint:

and there were 6 liveries.....

and some them had more than one name......

and they were renumbered under BR....

and some had Valances and some did not....

And don't get me started on Heritage re paints.... :senile:

So you see..... I only have a small sample set  :angel:

Edited by Kal
  • Like 4

Agree with Sasquatch about the Car Body Filler  ....   as he says, it starts off runny and you spend time trying to keep it where the repair is, then as it gets thicker, it gets more sticky than thick, so when you push it into place with the Palette Knife - it follows the Knife back out again when you try to take it away. You then end up scraping the Knife off on the side of the repair, leaving lumps.

That's not too bad when you are about to use a rotary or belt sander to get it smooth  ...  but on a bit of wall???????.....    :nono:

Yea  ....    PARTY TOMORROW FOLKS   ........   :danced:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

SSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  ....   she's not gone shopping yet   ............

Hmm but I was going to pour it into a mould until it goes hard, then detail it??

hmmmm

If it is Steam it has to look like an A4

If it is Diesel it has to look like a 43 (HST)

If it has to be electric then it has to be a 91

and if it is a MU it has to be a 373

It is the only reason I moved to the East coast ;)

• Like 1

............................................................................................   ..............................................................   ...................................

..................................  .........................              ...............................                           ..................      ...............    ........  .......          ....              ..               .

It is the only reason I moved to the East coast

........................................................................   where  ...............................................................   is  ...........................................................................................................   the F**** "SAD" Button!!

• Like 2

If you are going to go to those lengths, what about a plasticine trough, the size of the face of the wall   .............

Pour gravel / stone into the trough and press it into the Plasticine    .........................    pour Plaster, or Filler /PVA mix [or even the car Filler] over the gravel, so it soaks through the Gravel, down to the Plasticine   ....

wait until dry    ...............................   one stone / brick / block wall with cement and grout etc in place    ...........    colour the poured "Stickshion" and no bother with paint either  .......     :meeting:

............................................................................................   ..............................................................   ...................................

..................................  .........................              ...............................                           ..................      ...............    ........  .......          ....              ..               .

........................................................................   where  ...............................................................   is  ...........................................................................................................   the F**** "SAD" Button!!

Well can you name one other reason to move here?.....go on...... Just one

If you are going to go to those lengths, what about a plasticine trough, the size of the face of the wall   .............

Pour gravel / stone into the trough and press it into the Plasticine    .........................    pour Plaster, or Filler /PVA mix [or even the car Filler] over the gravel, so it soaks through the Gravel, down to the Plasticine   ....

wait until dry    ...............................   one stone / brick / block wall with cement and grout etc in place    ...........    colour the poured "Stickshion" and no bother with paint either  .......     :meeting:

Hmm cool if I was doing 12 inch to the foot, but in 4mm the gravel will be a little over scale. 2nd point, thing about gravel is it is hard and so detailing it maybe a bit tricky

Man with flag....Add 10 thou plasticard cut square modify square, to look as though it is hanging, add blue and white chequers, just out of focus so ones brain corrects inaccuracies, plant on layout and photograph suitably far away...............

med_gallery_17883_3112_486357.jpgrmweb583worker1

It is cut to imitate a flag folded back slightly, I will go stick them to the model and pop it up on the layout, 3 of the workers now have white hats. 

I.E. The boss on his mobile, this flag bloke, and I a guy with a very large tool who I sincerely knows what he is doing with it!

The two side are glued to gather over the original glue with copydex allowing easy removal if required.

med_gallery_17883_3112_103560.jpgrmweb584worker2

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Aahh yes  ....

gravel is it is hard and so detailing it maybe a bit tricky

I used to get Gravel from the road-stones, in various places, which gave a variety to chose from  ...........    smaller than straight Gravel and not needing detailing if the choice of Gravel taken with care  .........    :sungum:

PS.  I still have a couple of Modelling drawers with packets of these stones  ..  as Mini Driver discovered a couple of weeks ago   ........  

I'm not entirely certain what she thinks of a Dad that carries packets of road gravel around for 40 years    ......     I bet she doesn't bragg about it in the School playground  .......

The smallest gravel grain is 2-4mm, which is scale 6-12 inch, which for rounded stone would be small boulders.

I thing grit may be better scale but how you would arrange it like a wall....

I think using some thing with a fine surface, I saw on another thread, masking tape, as the facing mould and then scribing would be more predictable.

Duct tape may also be an interesting texture. Maybe easier with resin,but I be life filler is more flexible and less likely to chip or crack?.

Question.....

How many locos/mu would you consider to be over the top. I tend to think I have too many, but just counting some on another persons layout, who uses a basic DCC system, has no scenery and still has over a hundred.

Is that unusual, or do lots of people have so many?

Not asking for specifics, or even about your own collections, more a straw pole of the people you know and what is ?normal?

I have a large collection of Locos, wagons and coaches, sold a quarter of the locos at one point to thin it down a bit, but that didn't last long. Don't really recommend selling them as I lost a lot when some went at a local auction house (got about 1/4 of cost price), sold some on e-bay and didn't lose so much (1/2 - 3/4 of cost price). It does get a bit daft when you have more locos than stock to pull.

Roy

• Like 1

Well I agree to a point, but, coaches and wagon rakes could be pulled by many different locos, so rather than have multiple rakes, leave them on the layout and just change the engine.

Plus from what I have seen, other than set eg hst, most rakes are a mix of odds and sods of what was available.

Is rake the correct term for wagons or just coaches?

Edited by Kal

The smallest gravel grain is 2-4mm, which is scale 6-12 inch, which for rounded stone would be small boulders.

I thing grit may be better scale but how you would arrange it like a wall....

I think using some thing with a fine surface, I saw on another thread, masking tape, as the facing mould and then scribing would be more predictable.

Duct tape may also be an interesting texture. Maybe easier with resin,but I be life filler is more flexible and less likely to chip or crack?.

Cat litter perhaps? I know the clumping stuff we use is quite fine. or maybe ballast? 

Edited by thebritfarmer
  • Like 1

Kalboro

med_gallery_17883_3112_365595.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3106_791561.jpgrmweb542peterboro7

cut from Kals post which was 3000 for clarity

Kal said, "I know I am biased because I laid the track and ballast, but the pictures above seem quite a good match for the track at Peterborough except the rail needs darkening down and weathering. But spacing wise it looks right to me, what do you all think?"

Edited by Jaz

I know I am biased because I laid the track and ballast, but the pictures above seem quite a good match for the track at Peterborough except the rail needs darkening down and weathering. But spacing wise it looks right to me, what do you all think?

Edit ... After I posted I Noticed this is post 3000 so a video to mark it.

Edited by Kal

Hi Kal

how you would arrange it like a wall....

I just flattened a piece of Plasticine and laid it on a bench in a long strip, then made sure that the top and bottom edge was turned up to stop any liquid flowing out  ........  basically a shallow trough with the external dimensions of the wall you want

The gravel was then pressed, flat face - well - into the plasticine, so that when the Cement/glue was poured over it, the stones protruded slightly from where the Model Mortar could reach  .....  the inside of the wall was just spread over the stuff that was pressed into the Plasticine before the model mortar was poured over it all. If you are careful with how much you pour over the Gravel, you can get 2 sides of the wall, with the Mortar set in from the protruding stones.

If you want a Formal Cut stone wall then you have to go to the place that does cut stone for [mainly] dolls houses.  I have the Web URL somewhere and will dig it out if you like.  For slightly less accurate cut stone walls, there will be lots of suitable Faces which can be worked together from the road Grit.