Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

This is one  area in question that needs work, but it has a new top, as I changed the road, and wanted the land to rise.

med_gallery_17883_3001_518208.jpgrmweb533terraforming266

med_gallery_17883_3001_199212.jpgrmweb532terraforming265

this one shows we have moved on, but there is still work to do. Goathland station still has a bunch to do, though the green at the back should be reasonably quick

med_gallery_17883_3001_669383.jpgrmweb498terraforming45

A lot of the work to here is done

med_gallery_17883_3001_206957.jpgrmweb574terraforming102

• Like 9

On the right hand side I want to tidy Kalborough East, Kalborough Union Station, Kalbrough itself, through to the tunnels, and above Port Lynn Town.

RAF Zollywood, and Port Lynn Cove have had some tidying in recent times and do not need too much tidying or dressing.

I am producing as much railway detail as I can because we plan to pick our visitors brains for placement.

If I get a change the last 8 to 12ft will have building laid out, but this area is in continual flux until we join to the old loft. Does it need a turntable? is the biggest question. We have a bunch of industrial buildings which will probably get an outing.

• Like 1

Kalborough East. 

It has no back at the moment. We are planning a brick wall here. But as the track all runs it has tended to be overlooked

med_gallery_17883_2795_573663.jpgimg 0978

Kalborough Union Station (above Kalborough) has also not had lights or road markings until the decision on where to connect this are to

but really I could have added lampposts and road markings for part of the area. I even bought the markers to do it. If I get time I'll dig them out and start this off, there are lampposts but the wires would need sorting because they will hang over kalborough station tracks. I could use the ones that have no electrics.

med_gallery_17883_2804_342684.jpg2012 06 10 004

Kalborough

med_gallery_17883_2760_1027954.jpgimg 1334

med_gallery_17883_2760_1519639.jpgimg1321

med_gallery_17883_2760_67281.jpgimg1220

A lot of detail has been added here, but it needs a tidy, and the return of part of the station, Kal started to add lights but we got sidetracked.

• Like 12

Although buildings and scenic items have been added, there is not much in the way of trackside paraphernalia, so I am quickly pulling those bits together. And with that I suppose I am back to my Knighting kits.

and for any people who wonder if we have that much track you can see there is loads, I just tend to be fiddling on the scenic side.

Once everything has had a tidy. I will do a walk around. But to be honest not many people actually watch videos.So I will probably do a run of overlapping photographs as well.

• Like 1

Although buildings and scenic items have been added, there is not much in the way of trackside paraphernalia, so I am quickly pulling those bits together. And with that I suppose I am back to my Knighting kits.

and for any people who wonder if we have that much track you can see there is loads, I just tend to be fiddling on the scenic side.

Once everything has had a tidy. I will do a walk around. But to be honest not many people actually watch videos.So I will probably do a run of overlapping photographs as well.

Hi Jaz

I do watch selective videos on YouTube so don't be put off.  :declare:

Your doing a great job

PJ

This is one  area in question that needs work, but it has a new top, as I changed the road, and wanted the land to rise.

The colours in photo 2 reminds me of When The Wind Blows and the country has been laid waste after the nuclear attack.

I like the box in img 1220. It reminds me of disused boxes around the SR area (East Croydon to London Bridge) I used to pass them regularly and all graffitied up and windows smashed in. I think the EC box was in use by the p way or similar, sat where it was right by the station.

Kal pointed out to me that on Kalborough you can see not just the top of the peco tracks but the sides and being as they are shiny they don't look very realistic. I spent some time today with some sleeper grime from Railmatch, when I got to the areas that you can't avoid to stick I used thinners (phoenix in this case as it is what I had) also while I had the thinners I cleaned the side of the bottle and the lid so they would close ok. The thinned grime might not be enough colour, but hopefully the moving bits won't get stuck, and extra thin lays can be added later. Taking longer to do the job is better than trying to unstick the moving parts.

med_gallery_17883_2760_456260.jpgrmweb1665kalborough1

the left of the middle track as the distinctive dot dash dot day shiny markings that need to be addressed.

• Like 4

Meantime I am also, as mentioned, sorting out some of the PIR modelling / terraforming.

Goathland to Heartbeat has a great big glaring gap in the middle, so you cannot take long views.

med_gallery_17883_3001_436050.jpgrmweb1668heartbeat2

this area needs to house the police house, but it can also house a small building to one side.....no not the big square that is the carpark for the Aidensfield Arms.

The other side of the road, no specific spot is marked out as I have yet to find a building that I am completely happy with, but I think I have a likely candidate.

I have also coloured the road onto the bridge that still needs modelling.

med_gallery_17883_3001_60209.jpgrmweb1667heartbeat1

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

This piece of PIR is at the moment floating on top of the original road. And has yet to be finally cut into place, a small alignment will be need at the last moment, but I don't want to damage it when I have to take the 'bridge' part out so this small excess only millimetres is providing some wriggle movement. the overlap is noticeable on the right hand side.

med_gallery_17883_3001_308500.jpgrmweb1669heartbeat3

the join to the left is quite noticeable at the moment, but scenic fluff and even paint will disguise this as I move on.

the square carpark area is a bit rough and ready at the moment,  pal to cut in a small set of steps, but do not have time at the moment, so a quick colour up will surfice.

I jhave also gone for a slight terrain difference next the the Heartbeat area as I cannot remember exactly what i colours that area with so some fudging will be required.

med_gallery_17883_3001_327840.jpgrmweb1670heartbeat4

Ahead you can see the back of Goathland which is next on my list.

med_gallery_17883_3001_40631.jpgrmweb1671heartbeat5

i have temporarily coloured the small excess

the textured area has some earth colouring representing the rocky areas surrounded by 3 or so shades of green, and some heavier green texture. At present the road just goes seamlessly into the carpark area.

• Like 2

The colours in photo 2 reminds me of When The Wind Blows and the country has been laid waste after the nuclear attack.

I like the box in img 1220. It reminds me of disused boxes around the SR area (East Croydon to London Bridge) I used to pass them regularly and all graffitied up and windows smashed in. I think the EC box was in use by the p way or similar, sat where it was right by the station.

There has been a lot of tidying up, very little has been thrown or put way. It is amazing that just by putting buildings down in a logical position the area looks less like a bomb hit it,......

still a long way to go, and before i can hoover the floor i have to get down on my hands and knees and check carefully through the debris for any modelling parts that have thrown them selves of the layout......

meantime i am attacking the area between Goathland and Heartbeat with gusto

• RMweb Gold

There has been a lot of tidying up, very little has been thrown or put way. It is amazing that just by putting buildings down in a logical position the area looks less like a bomb hit it,......

still a long way to go, and before i can hoover the floor i have to get down on my hands and knees and check carefully through the debris for any modelling parts that have thrown them selves of the layout......

meantime i am attacking the area between Goathland and Heartbeat with gusto

Is Gusto an Italian vacuum cleaner. :jester:

Although far from finished there is now an area of green that carries your eye along the length, and the grey of the road also gives the impression of the road continuing across it. There's a small hump in the road between the two but this is easily fixed. I will do a final sand and a recolour once it is permanently in place.

Meantime the green leads your eye into the scenery, and some small bushes help cover the join temporarily.

med_gallery_17883_3001_621975.jpgrmweb1672heartbeat6

A closer up, in order that any small colour discrepancies are overcome it is always a good idea to have a 'top coating' of colour to cover the two areas, which draws them together, the dark slightly larger foam representing weeds or small plants helps this along, a small sprinkling is popped on the new area, more will be added to help this illusion once a house is sited here. 

The road is slightly askew on this picture BUT

1. it can be moved and lined up, however I will be more interested to align the right hand side, and will deal with discrepancies if any here on the left when it is finally placed.

med_gallery_17883_3001_233411.jpgrmweb1673heartbeat7

Without the cruel close up, and alignment of the picture (see previous picture) it just is not noticeable. Scenic items such as cars can easily be popped in front of such glaring errors to hdd them, until such time as they are addresses.

Dressing the layout is not just about plonking the ready made models onto the layout, it is also about catching the readers eye and drawing their eye where you want. Producing a small piece of action with figures, cars etc is a few easy what to do this. Adding a commentary drawing the persons eye to the bits you would to show off, and draw them away from the points you don't have similar value.

A lot of people believe figures stop the layouts from being mistaken for the real thing, they never quite look the part. But they have a perfectly good function, it's horses for courses. If you want a more realistic view you should also choose your scenic items carefully.

• Like 5

Kal is attacking PIR with vigour ripping off the silver back sheet, marking up where the overlays are ....then disappearing outside with a full tin of foam glue.......He appears to be on a mission......

• Like 2

Meantime I am madly unpacking a number of really useful boxes and sub trays, when the men came last year to do the new boiler in August (OMG so long ago) I packed a lot away to stop any light fingers making off with little items, not only do they add up in price, but some become very difficult to source.

Anyway we have our visitors due, and I want it to look all oooooh and aaaaaah, so I am madly putting out lots of finishing details. Tidying is still going on....lots to do.....but I have update picture of the are in Heartbeat I greened up.....it;s dry and soon there will be pictures. :sungum:

Well so as to not disappoint here are some of the Heartbeat updates.......

The spare house (not the police house) needs a road access for parking so a quick cut....then some sanding....

med_gallery_17883_3001_664320.jpgrmweb1674heartbeat9

and a test run with a car, which shows i need to have a curved access from both directions

med_gallery_17883_3001_322900.jpgrmweb1675heartbeat10

the new road way s on the right, the spare house is over on the left so i can't get a photograph

med_gallery_17883_3001_291595.jpgrmweb1676heartbeat11

and the spare house in question

med_gallery_17883_3001_94746.jpgrmweb1677heartbeat12

cars in front of the road join which is humpty dumpty at the minute

• Like 7

the join between heartbeat and Goathland has some nasty edges, so the knife came out again and i softened the edges

med_gallery_17883_3001_41441.jpgrmweb1678heartbeat13

and a quick repaint

med_gallery_17883_3001_413114.jpgrmweb1680heartbeat15

even before the paint is dry i have dabbed ova all over it

the area where the police house also gets some glue, followed by some foam turf, and some foam earth, 

med_gallery_17883_3001_147318.jpgrmweb1688heartbeat16

you'll notice the 'spare' house has been replaced. As the scratch build is not finished I wanted to use some resin buildings to populate the area, and as Goathland has mostly red buildings with grey roofs I had a quick look around on the layout and grabbed these. The resin police house is a good substitute for the real police house extension and a town building is a reasonable match for the main house, I set the resin police house back a little as per the real thing. Another building I looked at was not as proportionally as useful for the police house. But I thought it looked better than the spare, considering the red brick / Goathland houses. 

• Like 5

Looking now from the Aidensfields Arms you can see the carpark but if you look down the road you can now see the back of the two new houses.

med_gallery_17883_3001_232648.jpgrmweb1695heartbeat23

further along the road

med_gallery_17883_3001_313190.jpgrmweb1690heartbeat18

the car park needs some serious tweaking, the wall placed in front is just a stopgap, but for a quick fix...it does the job

med_gallery_17883_3001_167241.jpgrmweb1698heartbeat26

• Like 6