Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi

Thank you Marcus and on the contrary, this is exactly the type of information i like to see. Such good input, I use at the time but also i spend a fair bit of time re reading peoples useful input and have a smile at some of the jokes a second time round.

I can quite honestly say in all 200 + pages, everything that people have contributed has been valued on more than one occasion.

Hi PJ Your quite right about different types of trains slowing down at different speeds a 2000 tonne freight takes a whole lot longer to stop than a 3 car multiple unit. On the other hand though the same loco pulling the freight would slow down quicker if it was pulling a 10 coach passenger train. Again this would change again if it was Mk 2s with tread brakes or Mk 3s with disc brakes. I think it would be quite difficult to translate into model form.

As far as TPWS is concerned it is a back ground safety system. As long as a train is driven correctly it will never intervene. If it does we normally get a good kick up the backside!!

Cheers Marcus.

P.S Sorry Kal & Jaz, feels if I've been Hi jacking your thread the last couple of days.

Thanks Marcus. Model trains also slow down at different rates, whether they replicate real life slowing down and breaking I am not sure but with dcc it is supposed to be more accurate,

I think the important thing here is being aware of slowing down and stopping distances. If you drive two locos they are different, driving two cars can be different and so it is with our model trains. We run them, test them, and get to know them.

PJ

• Like 2

There's some talk about people losing their mojo, I keep these projects back for when i need a lift.......

med_gallery_17883_3112_220230.jpgrmweb1648langlemodelsA

med_gallery_17883_3112_135473.jpgrmweb1649langlemodelsB

med_gallery_17883_3112_142111.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3112_432651.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3112_459648.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

This iconic stance will soon be a thing of history, papers and magazines are all moving into the electronic path way. People think this will be greener. But in fact without demand for growing the trees for the pulp there will actually be less demand for keeping the trees growing....so not so green at all.

This iconic stance will soon be a thing of history, papers and magazines are all moving into the electronic path way. People think this will be greener. But in fact without demand for growing the trees for the pulp there will actually be less demand for keeping the trees growing....so not so green at all.

It's not the same with a tablet on your head is it?

I have noticed driving in the country that more fields are being filled with trees. I wonder if farmers and land owners get a grant for this.

Have you noticed all the hedge rows are being mechanically cut. Makes modelling easy doesn't it   :sungum:

• Like 1

It's not the same with a tablet on your head is it?

I have noticed driving in the country that more fields are being filled with trees. I wonder if farmers and land owners get a grant for this.

Have you noticed all the hedge rows are being mechanically cut. Makes modelling easy doesn't it   :sungum:

more fields............with............................. HUGE..........................Poly Tunnels,.................................. can't see the green for the Filla...........

Hugh fields with dang solar panels!!! Hmmm very eco friendly, they have to kill off every living thing around them , to make them evern close to worthwhile, and they will never give a return on investment but for the subsidies the rest of us mugs have to pay.

Solar on a roof makes sense , in fields, i ask you, even rape seed is a prettier sight.

On a brighter note..

The last of the noggins have been nogged, insulation in the floor is almost done and the floor boarding is well under way.

Insulation board should be finished by next week hopefully and we can start building some tables.

Then i can build a simple pair of tracks around and await inspiration :)

Hugh fields with dang solar panels!!! Hmmm very eco friendly, they have to kill off every living thing around them , to make them evern close to worthwhile, and they will never give a return on investment but for the subsidies the rest of us mugs have to pay.

Solar on a roof makes sense , in fields, i ask you, even rape seed is a prettier sight.

Solar farms look terrible in the country.  Wind turbines are just as bad.   

Solar panels in roofs are better but can look plonked on the roof. Trouble is these don't work on any roof they have to be within about 50/60 degree angle of the mid day sun position.  Hopefully in time these will be smaller, more efficient and built into a roof surface and look better. 

Edited by model-trains

Billions of acres of deserts.....

Joined up thinking.... Fill deserts with solar panels, use it to produce hydrogen fuel, sell it to the world and buy food from temperate countries.

Of course such a thing requires common sense and consensus, so no chance of it ever happening.

The government only push green when there's a buck or two to be made, solar panels...the people who are saving making money are land owners, the average 3 bed homes don't have enough roof space to benefit from present technology so cannot free them selves of the electric companies who will just charge more for providing less. We buy low lamps etc....the electric companies can't actually produce much more than they do, so they don't mind us using less, this means they can handle our demands whilst just keeping their prices high and sounding all moralistic.

Solar produces most heat |(for water heating panels) and electricity in summer when you don't need it, electricity companies buy it in for a pittance from solar owners and sell it at a profit. They don't need to pay maintenance costs ....you do!!!

In the winter your panels don't produce any where near the demand. So if they can't catch you in the summer ...they can truly sting you in the winter....

In the US they went through the solar panel and wind turbine benefits, then those that had cashed in just shut them down avoiding maintenance / replacement costs. Without subsidies there is little interest. And all these green deals are invariable loans you just pay them interest.....and they laugh themselves to the bank. 

Insulation, however, stays, and reduces cost, long term. Some are good, some are not, some are still rip offs. But if you can do it yourselves, and choose wisely you can reduce your outgoings on a long time basis. Also wearing woolies etc in cold weather . inside the home,  and only heating those rooms i.e. living rooms you actually use.

IF you heat a bedroom but don't go in there until the heating is off at night - what is the point? Wear pyjamas and take a warm layer with you into a cold room where you are getting under a duvet or two to sleep so no room heating is a serious saving. We only heat those rooms we use. Even the ding room / model room has heating off unless we are working it, the door is kept shut. 1 bedroom only has a defrost setting. The utility not heated, keep the door hut to the kitchen when not in use to stop heat leaking to it, and open when cooking to allow heat to move into the rest of the house.

It takes a fe weeks to get used to it. but before central heating, people wore slippers, pyjamas , dressing gowns, even sleeping caps....well why do you think that was? Fashion???

Without a close up...they look more realistic

med_gallery_17883_3112_484843.jpgrmweb1653langlemodelsF

teenager with a lolly

med_gallery_17883_3112_310636.jpgrmweb1654langlemodelsG

grandma and her knitting.....she had beans with breakfast...and everyone is enjoying the fresh air :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3112_196086.jpgrmweb1655langleymodelsH

and the wife with her massive sunglasses quietly reading her book, it looks like a bevy novel but inside she is actually reading a mills and boons paperback...

med_gallery_17883_3112_279075.jpgrmweb1655langleymodels

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

The government only push green when there's a buck or two to be made, solar panels...the people who are saving making money are land owners, the average 3 bed homes don't have enough roof space to benefit from present technology so cannot free them selves of the electric companies who will just charge more for providing less. We buy low lamps etc....the electric companies can't actually produce much more than they do, so they don't mind us using less, this means they can handle our demands whilst just keeping their prices high and sounding all moralistic.

Solar produces most heat |(for water heating panels) and electricity in summer when you don't need it, electricity companies buy it in for a pittance from solar owners and sell it at a profit. They don't need to pay maintenance costs ....you do!!!

In the winter your panels don't produce any where near the demand. So if they can't catch you in the summer ...they can truly sting you in the winter....

In the US they went through the solar panel and wind turbine benefits, then those that had cashed in just shut them down avoiding maintenance / replacement costs. Without subsidies there is little interest. And all these green deals are invariable loans you just pay them interest.....and they laugh themselves to the bank. 

Insulation, however, stays, and reduces cost, long term. Some are good, some are not, some are still rip offs. But if you can do it yourselves, and choose wisely you can reduce your outgoings on a long time basis. Also wearing woolies etc in cold weather . inside the home,  and only heating those rooms i.e. living rooms you actually use.

IF you heat a bedroom but don't go in there until the heating is off at night - what is the point? Wear pyjamas and take a warm layer with you into a cold room where you are getting under a duvet or two to sleep so no room heating is a serious saving. We only heat those rooms we use. Even the ding room / model room has heating off unless we are working it, the door is kept shut. 1 bedroom only has a defrost setting. The utility not heated, keep the door hut to the kitchen when not in use to stop heat leaking to it, and open when cooking to allow heat to move into the rest of the house.

It takes a fe weeks to get used to it. but before central heating, people wore slippers, pyjamas , dressing gowns, even sleeping caps....well why do you think that was? Fashion???

Hmmm....................A UKIP Party member,..............you up for elections, on 22 May ?........... :jester:

Hmmm....................A UKIP Party member,..............you up for elections, on 22 May ?........... :jester:

No political affiliations, no specific ministers, just ANY governments......not even just UK ones.....