Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

TO POST OR NOT TO POST

I was just on model trains thread, which is a lovely small set up, a roundy roundy I think (feel free to correct me). And he is trying to encourage people to talk to his thread....probably before the missus wonders if we are meeting clandestinely..as I am his biggest poster by far. 

I have copied my comment I made on his thread here, because I honestly think it applies to most if not all layout thread owners.....

model-trains is so right, layout owners love people to speak on their threads wether you choose to agree or disagree it's an opinion to be considered. People should know their opinion is valued. and you can just ask questions. If you like someone's thread, but don't feel confident to give an opinion, or are scared of being shot down in flames, then ask a question. Layout owners are usually gregarious people who like any good reason to chat.  :sungum:

We appreciate the views, the likes, we really do. But we love someone to say hi, offer an option, ask did you think of doing this. Well I used that and it can do this, does yours? Layout threads are not about bun fights they are about SHARING. Go on pipe up YOU know you want to  :sungum: .....then we can shot you down in flames :triniti: ...only Joking  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

But I cannot emphasise this enough...layout thread owners invariably like people to actually POST. A view is great for the figures and makes you look good on the score boards, a like if your speeding through (I often press agree with a nice comment that I like) But for many of us. The personal touch of a message. I like that specific little bit, or the overall picture is great it is only that little bit that needs addressing...both helpful. One says yep your on line going well..I love it. The other says this can be improved. If that was placed here instead of there it would be more realistic or just look better. And you can have a look and agree or disagree. but as long as it is said with good intent, and received with a balanced mind..everybody wins.

If you regularly visit a layout thread because you like it, drop in and say hi, you never know you might make a friend. 

And new threads especially like people to just acknowledge they exist and are not invisible. Many fine threads stop posting because of what they think is lack of interest.

Hey Support your local sheriff thread owner..................and .............................................. A difference of opinion is not an argument unless you make it one. Ding ding seconds out.... :jester:

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I would agree with you.  I try and post on peoples threads whenever I have something relevant to say, and I have sometimes followed threads just because I felt they needed encouragement.  There are some that I follow that I have not posted on for a while because they are doing things that although I may find interesting is outside my experience/league and I have had nothing to add.  I think there are only two that I follow that I have not actually posted anything on.

However I have a problem.  (Alright, alright I have a few and YES I have been to the doctor about them.)  This one though is that I found I was spending a lot of time on the web and once I had finished there was very little time for modelling.  I therefore have taken the decision to limit what I follow and if I start following a new thread I will only read a page a day until I catch up.  I do try to follow new threads of people that I know.

If you are reading this and I am not following your thread then you know why, although I am about to start following a new thread soon; not sure who yet.

Having said all that I do like people posting on my thread and there have been, are and will be questions that I will ask that I would like a discussion about.  Posts like I had last week about warping baseboards are in some ways most welcome as I did not think I would have a problem but at least I can worry think about that now and maybe put in remedial work later.

• Like 1

TO POST OR NOT TO POST

I was just on model trains thread, which is a lovely small set up, a roundy roundy I think (feel free to correct me). And he is trying to encourage people to talk to his thread....probably before the missus wonders if we are meeting clandestinely..as I am his biggest poster by far. 

I have copied my comment I made on his thread here, because I honestly think it applies to most if not all layout thread owners.....

model-trains is so right, layout owners love people to speak on their threads wether you choose to agree or disagree it's an opinion to be considered. People should know their opinion is valued. and you can just ask questions. If you like someone's thread, but don't feel confident to give an opinion, or are scared of being shot down in flames, then ask a question. Layout owners are usually gregarious people who like any good reason to chat.  :sungum:

We appreciate the views, the likes, we really do. But we love someone to say hi, offer an option, ask did you think of doing this. Well I used that and it can do this, does yours? Layout threads are not about bun fights they are about SHARING. Go on pipe up YOU know you want to  :sungum: .....then we can shot you down in flames :triniti: ...only Joking  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

But I cannot emphasise this enough...layout thread owners invariably like people to actually POST. A view is great for the figures and makes you look good on the score boards, a like if your speeding through (I often press agree with a nice comment that I like) But for many of us. The personal touch of a message. I like that specific little bit, or the overall picture is great it is only that little bit that needs addressing...both helpful. One says yep your on line going well..I love it. The other says this can be improved. If that was placed here instead of there it would be more realistic or just look better. And you can have a look and agree or disagree. but as long as it is said with good intent, and received with a balanced mind..everybody wins.

If you regularly visit a layout thread because you like it, drop in and say hi, you never know you might make a friend. 

And new threads especially like people to just acknowledge they exist and are not invisible. Many fine threads stop posting because of what they think is lack of interest.

Hey Support your local sheriff thread owner..................and .............................................. A difference of opinion is not an argument unless you make it one. Ding ding seconds out.... :jester:

Hi Jaz 

What do you mean a roundy, roundy! It an Oval roundy, roundy   :jester:

It is nice of you to add the comments you have, thank you. I was surprised to read them to be totally honest 

I don't expect people to flock to the layout I have sheep for that  :imsohappy:

I just add a few things every few days to show the layout as it grows, ask questions to help me progress but try not get bogged down in one subject, signalling may have been the longest item but that has been done in bits and other things dropped in here and there to show I am still here.

You do a lot on the forum Jaz, I can see that, I follow your thread and others also, but notice also you encourage others in the forum to share. I like to watch layouts grow, if I want a laugh I come to your thread  :jester: Don't take wrong way 

• Like 4

msg-18515-0-65524400-1399234760.jpg Marcus37 has kindly provided some current photographs of line side paraphernalia.
Signal with associated position light

I have a couple of questions.See other pictures I assume the black and white lines on the square designate a telephone nearby.

Does the number have any significance other than just being a signal number for repair teams to identify it?

​Would this one be approx 200m before a relevant point.

Last question for this picture....what is the yellow thing on the floor.

Would anyone knowing any answers please feel free to chip in an answer. Thank you.

And what is the purpose of the thing off to the left of the lights at the top.

Marcus gave this info earlier...http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-theres-gold-in-them-there-hills-well-copper-at-any-rate/page-201&do=findComment&comment=1428602

Hi Jaz

Yes the magnet is normally always set 200 yards back from the signal although this can be shortened somewhat in urbanised areas and at large junctions where there a complexed track layouts. I experience when I work out of Wembley yard where they are about 20yards off the signal. It's not a problem at these locations as the line speed is only low at around 20 mph. On the main line though they are the requires 200yards back to give the driver sufficient warning to take action. The distance in metric is 183 metres.
If it's on the approach to a speed restriction the magnet is set 200 yards back from the advance warning board which is then the required braking distance from the restriction itself.
The advance warning board is an upside down triangle with a yellow border with the speed of the restriction inside it. If it's on the approach to a junction there is another small rectangular sign beneath it which will have an Arrow pointing to the direction it applies.
If you have semaphore signalled areas only the distant signal will be fitted with AWS. Again the magnet is set 200 yards in advance of the signal.
Hope this makes sense. 
Cheers
Marcus

Edited by Jaz

msg-18515-0-86882300-1399234780.jpg courtesy of Marcus37
Advance speed warning board

Simple question is there any rules? Say for instance in a town on the road usually 30miles an hour.On a single main road top speed 60. On a dual carriage way top speed 70.

Do railways have any simplified rules?

Cabinets

msg-18515-0-17851600-1399234824.jpg courtesy of Markus37
Relay cabinet

​Now I thought I had cabinets, but it appears a cabinet is not a cabinet.As for the rust I could understand it on the hinges starting on the edge, but here it has broken out in the middle , and it looks like some repaint touch up has occurred already in the past. So a nice picture for colour reference.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's intriguing, I would have agreed with you that the rust would be more likely to start at the edges and around the hinges.

I wonder if it's a consequence of attempts to remove graffiti and / or bill posters in the past.

(That Bill Posters... he's a bit of a card... Eh?)

Al.

• Like 1

Hi Al,

I hear that Bill Posters has multiple convictions for trespassing on railway property and stealing thin layers of paint from the middle of cabinet doors...

I'll get my coat.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

msg-18515-0-99875200-1399234851.jpgcourtesy of Markus37

Under track ducting

I get the orange ducting, easy to see, provides some protection...what I don't get is which whys are protected and why, and why not all???

• Like 2

Well I have been a busy little bee this morning.....

and I am not the only one..... creatures have been buzzing in and out of the velux windows all day.... :jester:

But I think I have more results for my efforts.....and perhaps that is what attracted them...... :jester:

A rough snap off the pc of google...notice the hillside

med_gallery_17883_2878_424311.jpgrmweb1724goathland1

and a touch to the right....

med_gallery_17883_2878_625184.jpgrmweb1725goatlnad2

and with some help from Kal who cut the back PIR and glued it, then shaving a bit to suit, taking into account some for shortening necessary, allowing that from different angles you end up with different calculations...aaaaagggghhhhhhh.....you just take the thing by the scruff of the neck and say....go for it!!!

med_gallery_17883_2878_146794.jpgrmweb1726goathland3

the trees are where approximately the wall runs up the hill.

med_gallery_17883_2878_306238.jpgrmweb1727goathland4

So we have a good 4feet plus of back scene growing up nicely.

The top has burnt grass

the sides has colours to infer the plants other than grass

and inside the wall line the grass is greener, and though much of it won't be seen it just seemed easier to do it...because I have no idea which bits will get covered up until I get there.

• Like 5

2 Bachmann trees for near the water tower. Technically one should have branches UP and one branches DOWN, I will make one in time .....

med_gallery_17883_2878_405113.jpgrmweb1728goathland5

and for those who wonder what on earth i am going on a bout

med_gallery_17883_2878_639211.jpgrmweb1729goathland6

In this are the hill side starts to slope down to the river, and there is a cliff of sorts to the right of the watertower

med_gallery_17883_2878_164801.jpgrmweb1731goathland8

• Like 2

Probably   .....           :scratchhead:

.what I don't get is which whys are protected and why, and why not all?

...................   ran out of Orange Straws in the local Burger King  .......       :nono:

we use the thin electrical cable wire, Kal bought some stuff off evil bay looked good in the picture....turned out to be the same as we were using...just cut into short lengths and costing a LOT more than by the roll!!!!

Some trees will be used to still more shrubbery / greenery when the glue is dry otherwise it knocks the turf off....Iknow this because I did it twice before stopping to wait...for said glue to dry......

has anyone noticed ...just how bright that platform front is????

med_gallery_17883_2878_307504.jpgrmweb1730goathland7

the platform front has been toned down with a thin layer of the suede paint

the building put on for a quick update, the walls behind the tracks where the camping coaches go will need matching to the platforms, but I can hide them with the camping coaches until i have time :sungum: .....ummm if I can find the pesky things........I do have a nice red steam engine.....Harry Potter Hogwarts....... :senile:

med_gallery_17883_2878_652203.jpgrmweb1735goathland12

• Like 5

That looks absolutely brilliant Jaz. Your definitely a master, or is that mistress, when it comes to that insulation board. Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Just need a nice model of 37264 now!!

Hope you found the photos useful.

See you soon.

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37

Cabinets

msg-18515-0-17851600-1399234824.jpg courtesy of Markus37

Relay cabinet

​Now I thought I had cabinets, but it appears a cabinet is not a cabinet.As for the rust I could understand it on the hinges starting on the edge, but here it has broken out in the middle , and it looks like some repaint touch up has occurred already in the past. So a nice picture for colour reference.

Maybe heat is generated inside from the electrics?

Hi JK, loved the vids and some great pics of Goathland and your take on it, which is pretty dammed impressive.

Go Go Gall. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 1

msg-18515-0-65524400-1399234760.jpg Marcus37 has kindly provided some current photographs of line side paraphernalia.

As always excellent information from Marcus.

I have to say though, poor house keeping with wires on the side of many railways. we know people shouldn't trespass on railways but what about railway maintenance staff, etc, it is not a way out of Health & Safety.

Here if you don't fall over the wire going across, the loop should get you. :angel:  But the box stands out and the yellow stones.   :nono:  next to the static grass.   ;)

Signal detail and photo good though.

Edited by model-trains

The hillside is looking awesome Jaz. Love the change in grass colour.

Perhaps you don't need to make another tree with the branches pointing downwards? Hope you don't mind, here are a couple from many photographs I took at that spot in 2010...

post-20290-0-72193000-1399316935.jpg

post-20290-0-92124000-1399317432.jpg

• Like 7

The hillside is looking awesome Jaz. Love the change in grass colour.

Perhaps you don't need to make another tree with the branches pointing downwards? Hope you don't mind, here are a couple from many photographs I took at that spot in 2010...

attachicon.gif9FatGoathlandSml.jpg

attachicon.gifBridgeGoathlandSml.jpg

Nice pictures , ad if you have more of Goathland I would be happy to have them too. :sungum: All reference is good for the modelling.

That looks absolutely brilliant Jaz. Your definitely a master, or is that mistress, when it comes to that insulation board. Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Just need a nice model of 37264 now!!

See you soon.

Marcus

I'm impressed with the photos mostly because you name them, so I know what they are. Even with the ones I know it is nice to see the confirmation. 

the back will need lining up from a single focus

the trees built up

the paths made 3d

the walls added

and quite a lot of work down by the platform for the steps garden etc

the exact height of the back wall sorted, and adjustments made, then the bricks carved out and recoloured.

but for the moment we have a greened area that has some semblance of the finished product

med_gallery_17883_2878_639090.jpgrmweb1732goathland9

once the two layers are glue the nasty gap half way up the back wall will disappear, I have already cut in the top of the wall, which can easily by lowered.

med_gallery_17883_2878_150165.jpgrmweb1733goathland10

med_gallery_17883_2878_547286.jpgrmweb1734goathland11

The only problem??? I have to make a whole host of trees....asap......

• Like 3

See you soon.

Marcus

Im fairly certain Kal will have a 37 with large BR logo.......you'll have to butter him up to search it out.

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of questions.See other pictures I assume the black and white lines on the square designate a telephone nearby.

Does the number have any significance other than just being a signal number for repair teams to identify it?

​Would this one be approx 200m before a relevant point.

Last question for this picture....what is the yellow thing on the floor.

Would anyone knowing any answers please feel free to chip in an answer. Thank you.

And what is the purpose of the thing off to the left of the lights at the top.

Marcus gave this info earlier...http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-theres-gold-in-them-there-hills-well-copper-at-any-rate/page-201&do=findComment&comment=1428602

Hi Jaz

The number is related to the controlling signalbox - in this case DY is Derby - and is also used by the traincrew to identify exactly where they are when they contact the 'box. Even manual signals boxes have codes - my locals are HJ Horrocksford Junction and DS for Daisyfield Junction.

The yellow thing is probably an electrical termination box - probably for the TPWS loop adjacent to the signal.

The boxis an illuminated stencil that give supplementary information, such as route setting. Again a local example has "SDG" when the route is set for the line into the cement works exchange siding, as opposed to the main line.

Similar boxes are used along platforms with "OFF" to tell the station staff that the signal has cleared.

Chees,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

msg-18515-0-99875200-1399234851.jpgcourtesy of Markus37

Under track ducting

I get the orange ducting, easy to see, provides some protection...what I don't get is which whys are protected and why, and why not all???

The orange ducting is supposedly to tell tamper crews not to operate in the gap as there are cables. I believe their use is less these days as once the ducting is dirty, the tampers don't see it anyway and still cut through!

The cables not in the ducting look new(er).

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1