Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Not a layout....but so worth a mention

med_gallery_17883_3195_280236.jpgr

mweb2909show130

med_gallery_17883_3195_153296.jpg

David Wright is a really gifted lovely guy - and so generous about revealing his techniques (and explaining about what he actually sees when looking at buildings)

I asked him this morning about modelling your "Ye Olde White Horse" and its thatch (yes I crept back into Ricoh this morning for another decko). He pointed to that cottage (just visible bottom left in the above pic). He said he uses "plumbers' hemp" and applies it to scraped foam board much as thatchers make up bundles and work along from the bottom of the roof pitch up to the ridge. Only prob is sourcing plumbers' hemp, long since dispensed with. He suggested trying on line - I think he said he had been dashed his chunk by Pendon.

I have to confess he was NESW* about my 'break through' :nono:

dhig

*Never Eat Shredded Wheat

• Like 4

David Wright is a really gifted lovely guy - and so generous about revealing his techniques (and explaining about what he actually sees when looking at buildings)

I asked him this morning about modelling your "Ye Olde White Horse" and its thatch (yes I crept back into Ricoh this morning for another decko). He pointed to that cottage (just visible bottom left in the above pic). He said he uses "plumbers' hemp" and applies it to scraped foam board much as thatchers make up bundles and work along from the bottom of the roof pitch up to the ridge. Only prob is sourcing plumbers' hemp, long since dispensed with. He suggested trying on line - I think he said he had been dashed his chunk by Pendon.

I have to confess he was NESW* about my 'break through' :nono:

dhig

*Never Eat Shredded Wheat

I plan to investigate the Shredded Wheat idea...I think it has potential. I can get plumbers hemp near me. And a bundle has been ripped off our pipes when they were updated, although dirty....it is still a cheap resource as such.

At present David (Todd) and Kal are sorting out the wagon camera to do some runs along the track. We have been tying his technology to ours.

• Like 2

Hi Kal & Jaz

Busy with the camera I see..., like me I take a fair few when I go to the shows, all for idea's to use on your own layout.

Thanks for sharing those with us all and glad to hear of the banter while at the shows with ones you get to meet often.

Jamie  

I agree I take pictures of those things I would like to influence my own work. So scenic items take my fancy....hence why you see so little emphasis of locos...although weathering of them iIS of great interest to me.  Great trees, marvellous water, colouring on buildings and scenery, and small cameos within layout. I still have a couple of videos of the show to upload. And then I plan to have a play with the purchases. There was a great wealth of clever ideas....and taking the pictures and posting them....helps me remember those details that caught my eye. And those little shop interiors on Earls Court.Those are definitely going to be of interest. Such attention to detail.

• Like 3

Loughborough Road

med_gallery_17883_3195_347717.jpgrmweb2910show131

med_gallery_17883_3195_94540.jpg

I recognised the Skytrex and they did mention the middle building wills sheets if i remember correctly, and the one to the right was scartchbuilt.

med_gallery_17883_3195_180103.jpg

a close up

med_gallery_17883_3195_501670.jpg

and the full building but a bit fuzzy

med_gallery_17883_3195_57886.jpg

try to pack so much in i just did not check all my pictures, so some are a bit poor...but you get the idea

Loughborough Road link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70899-loughborough-road/&do=findComment&comment=1021225

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 10

I just posted this on Anotheran's thread but then thought it applied to everyone we met at RMlive....

'Just a quickie to say how great it was to link up at RMlive 2014. With so many of us floating around I daresay most of us barely spoke to each other any where near as long as we would have liked to. The good thing is should our show visits cross over...it will be much easier to catch up'

At present David (Todd) and Kal are sorting out the wagon camera to do some runs along the track. We have been tying his technology to ours.

How very brave of you all at Arboretumville. :O

Careful about just how much you tie into dt's technology or you'll end up paying his eye watering Dover lecky bill !   :jester:

dhig

I love David Wright's work. Had I been at the show I would have spent an AWFUL lot of time stood at his stand. Loughborough road looks blooming brilliant.

I don't think I saw his 'stall' empty. How can you by pass such lovely buildings. :sungum:

Torrington

med_gallery_17883_3195_123607.jpgrmweb2918show139

med_gallery_17883_3195_607880.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_634064.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_562957.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_504910.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_471446.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_521223.jpg

They won the .......quoted from Andy Y on RMlive 2014.....

Shakespeare Spirit - awarded for the first time in memory of Dave Shakespeare and his inspirational modelling to Darren Rees and Torrington, we were very please when totting up the voting to see this come top of the public vote as it's very much in the spirit of an individual crafting a great scene inspiring modellers to develop their skills.

Torrington link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3565-torrington/page-23&do=findComment&comment=1592486

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

Jaz,

On behalf of those who couldn't get there, I'd like to thank you very much for all the lovely images which certainly gave us the flavour of the show! Sounds like you had a really great day and, who knows, I might be well enough to travel that far next year. Well done also for organising the meet-up, it must be lovely to be able to put a face to the avatar!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Cliff Hangar.

I have had the pleasure of talking to the Russian gentleman who models these twice, regards two of his layouts. One of which is due to go to a museum. Its last outing was at Spalding last year.

Thankfully cliffhangar is still with us....I put up a couple of pictures. But the sounds and the waterfall are beautifully done. Watch the waterfall VERY carefully and see the 'water' moving!!!!!!

This unusually tall layout houses a large number of trees.....they mayn't be individual specimens......but WOW!!!!!!!

• Like 4

And it was SO good I did a second one. Kal and I both thought it had a touch of Tracy Island and thunderbirds.....but love the Cog Rail

CLIFF HANGAR...again... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  with seagulls.........and the wonderful cog rail.........

• Like 5

We were there all day and truth is i could have spent a week there and still not got everything done i would have like to.

I understand for some it might not be what they expected, it was unlike any other show i have seen, but for me it is the future. I get bored of the same old show format and decided to only travel to local ones in the future.

Only exception to this will be this if it runs again and its mini me, aka wrec rail

• Like 4

Hi Both, some really great pics from the show, I normally take a couple of hundred at a Show but I only took about  20 decent shots all day I think.

I don't know if it was me not in the mood, or me just not feeling myself, (not in the rude way), hhahahha SORRY.

Bodge

One last video which for me was too good to not put up. .

Phil Park of Edgeworth, did this cameo 'Beerfest' Watch the guys........cant imagine why we don't see more of this..... :jester:

There is an odd layout or two still left, but my pictures don't do them much justice. 

• Like 1

Not sure only saw them at the show, but I think Mick on New Bryford or the mostly yellow workbench knows them as I think they are from East Lancs, so he may be able to help. Other than that i don't know sorry

Edit: tried this link?

http://www.unitmodels.com/category.php?id_category=3

It seems to work

Edited by Kal