Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

We already have a compressor, I occasionally use the air brush, but still prefer the old hand painting.

I also stopped at the Topp table....and meant to buy some weathering wood colours...am still kicking myself for forgetting.

I am NOT a really experienced airbrushed....I don't use it anywhere near enough. But Kal did realise it was better to have one with a good range of pressure. And so far the little beauty has been used for all manner of jobs......it cleans out the dust from your computer nicely :angel:

Oh and if you use the controller jerkily....you can get some spotter effects....they are fun to play with. Use a little food colouring on old envelopes and newspaper for practise.......

oh lol it sounds as though it does not get much work, but actually I have done a lot some stuff with it. Kal has weathered track too near Kalborough.

the yellow wagon was bright yellow before i did my FIRST airbrush work

med_gallery_17883_3119_342817.jpg

the one to the left was a hand painted effort, also from the cheap yellow wagons.

the loco on the left was my second loco attempt, the first was just on some bogies..

med_gallery_17883_2792_1624234.jpgimg 1052

Ah........ this was done before we came here to RMweb.....hang on will upload....make take a 'few' minutes

• Like 6

A few more these are old...and I suspect Mick / Newbryford will laugh himself silly. but this was my first serous attempt with the airbrush as weathering a loco

med_gallery_17883_3385_914559.jpgrmweb2925show154

I was probably far too scared originally to put my attempt up.

this was the first wagon. From yellow to um....well not sure...I repainted it not long after.

The point was once you had a go...you got quite brave

med_gallery_17883_3385_397855.jpgrmweb2927show156

which then encouraged me to start on the buildings

med_gallery_17883_3385_352797.jpg

admittedly back to hand painting

med_gallery_17883_3385_444692.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3385_523971.jpgrmweb2939show159

The pictures are also a bit naff....I'll go pop it up on Kalborough.....watch this space.

eidt= and yes the engine shed really is from the Thomas the Tank engine range  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 11

OK I grabbed the loco 56100 push its top back on....and slapped it on the layout...the light is not great....so excuse the pictures.

And don't forget this was painted over a year ago.....the loco is airbrushed with some hand work.....

yes yes the windows are awful...I have some of Pete Harveys etchings to trial....results will go up in time for the wipe blade markings

and the wagons with the loco were airbrushed as a primer, but hand painted over.

the BRUTE trolley has been thrown in to try and hide the plastic ends!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3385_445547.jpgrmweb2940show160

med_gallery_17883_3385_282590.jpg

the cleaner end (I sort of trailed one end and one side with the heavier stuff for comparison)

med_gallery_17883_3385_121836.jpg

• Like 8

I swung the loco around in the other direction so both sides ended up in photographs

med_gallery_17883_3385_268317.jpgrmweb2946show166

again using the BRUTE trolley to hide the obviousITS ONLY A MODEL bits...

med_gallery_17883_3385_213481.jpg

the train

med_gallery_17883_3385_576211.jpg

just noticed.....A4.....GBRF......Road Haul.....rule 1 applies.... :sungum: ...or preservation or heritage..... :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3385_1679.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3385_6776.jpg

a birds eye

med_gallery_17883_3385_781142.jpg

a down the line ....pointing out the sparsity of signals.....ok to be correct the absence  :O

med_gallery_17883_3385_54653.jpg

and one I cropped due to the fact it looked awful otherwise

med_gallery_17883_3385_104626.jpg

• Like 11

Gosh Jaz those look brilliant!

Thanks for going to the trouble to dig all those out to tell the full story. On the two yalla examples I can see the value of using both the air spray and following up with brush paint and powders. I do like the idea of that Tomboy Jaz ducking around the sidings at March armed with her aerosols.

I understand what you mean saying once you've broken the ice on those costly boxed ex works mint locos, everything is easy. Must have been like that in real life at somewhere like Tyne Dock 'shed' in the 60s/70s confronted with the arrival of brand spanking new 9Fs

dhig

Gosh Jaz those look brilliant!

Thanks for going to the trouble to dig all those out to tell the full story. On the two yalla examples I can see the value of using both the air spray and following up with brush paint and powders. I do like the idea of that Tomboy Jaz ducking around the sidings at March armed with her aerosols.

I understand what you mean saying once you've broken the ice on those costly boxed ex works mint locos, everything is easy. Must have been like that in real life at somewhere like Tyne Dock 'shed' in the 60s/70s confronted with the arrival of brand spanking new 9Fs

dhig

Once you start messing with the original paint jobs....nothing is sacred......

your are touching up the odd window

med_gallery_17883_3385_292950.jpgrmweb2954wethering1

sun in the right direction gives lovely effects

med_gallery_17883_3385_253601.jpgrmweb2955weathering2

then the door is up for grabs...

med_gallery_17883_3385_26542.jpg

then all hell breaks out..... :jester:

med_gallery_17883_3385_259530.jpg

• Like 8

Love the new pics Jaz. The workshops are top drawer!  The 56 throught the station is fab. Had me fooled at first, looks like its going around a canted curve...very realistic. Then noticed the body's not on properly, giving the impression it's leaning into the curve. Looks good though!! :secret:

Dave

• Like 3

Love the new pics Jaz. The workshops are top drawer!  The 56 throught the station is fab. Had me fooled at first, looks like its going around a canted curve...very realistic. Then noticed the body's not on properly, giving the impression it's leaning into the curve. Looks good though!! :secret:

Dave

doh!!!!!! I thought I had clicked them back on, might have been a good idea to check BOTH sides properly......I thought I had not put them on the tracks to well........ :jester:

no you see why Kal is  :scared: of me playing with his toys, train ......um what do you call 'em oh yeah .......locos.. :angel:

• Like 1

Hi Jaz

I've noticed the Eddie Lorry picture, is that fog in the air... the camera as captured the haze really good...

Always great work and love to always look at the many on going mods and creations that Kal and You make together...

Jamie

Hi Jaz

I've noticed the Eddie Lorry picture, is that fog in the air... the camera as captured the haze really good...

Always great work and love to always look at the many on going mods and creations that Kal and You make together...

Jamie

We are really lucky. the veluxes in the roof face north and south

subsequently certain parts of the layout benefit from either

the southern morning light

or the northern evening dusk. 

The cove is in front of the only vertical window and benefits from late afternoon light.

The light also filters in at specific angles and I place building where these effects can be taken advantage of.

thus at dusk as the sun is setting you can get the light streaming in at an angle and if you are there at the right time...it effectively give several types of lighting effects.

med_gallery_17883_3385_253601.jpg

I love the shadows in this one...the light to the left is actually you seeing the inside of the resin building being lit up, but gives the effect of a light source within the building.

I was showing this effect to David Todd whilst he was here. The effect was on the south facing and I have placed Scripps Garage to take the full advantage.

msg-13585-0-72121000-1410898972_thumb.jp

this was taken with Davids camera, and we were playing with the effects, there was a touch too much sun, so if you held your hand to the left of the camera you could allow it to focus in the garage

and coincidently get a view throughout the window...

take your hand away slightly and the camera focus could easily change, and without a focused area the picture appeared useless

msg-13585-0-43218900-1410898975_thumb.jp

I often take ages to just set up a picture. Unfortunately David Kal and I got no where near as much as we wanted to get in despite he was her from Thusday to Tuesday. 

But then he made the judgement call of wanting to help put in a fence post or two.  :jester:

Then he was walking the bigger dobermann (you can't take both at the same time)  :triniti:

So time just got away from us...as usual.

We did do some testing with the camera wagon.....but never managed any polished pictures....plus we were in them. I will see if anything is salvageable, as Kal was very taken with how it showed the tracks wobbles!!!! :O . Actually it was impressive that he had done so well...but you know guys and their train sets  :senile: .... :jester:

• Like 5

This one for instance looks good, very atmospheric, but look carefully and the rectangle of the velux is discernible...

med_gallery_17883_2878_490731.jpgrmweb785goathland5

med_gallery_17883_2878_490731.jpgrmweb786goathland6

this was taken at the same session. I moved the birds around to grab the reflections, and got in closer not just for the close up but in order to avoid the obvious telex shape in the water.

then continued in the sae frame, the swans heads are so small, but i had consider filing them for a better shape

med_gallery_17883_2878_384624.jpgrmweb7877

Turning the heads carefully helps improve with how they photograph.

I often take half an hour 'setting the scene' if the light is worthwhile.

Occasionally I have spent so long gaffing about the lot has gone...and I have had to give up in disgust. :butcher:

The best way to get a good photograph? In my opinion? Is attempt to get the focus through the eyes of one of the figures on the layout.

Birds eye, very informative, but if you can focus IN the layout and avoid any give away touches....even dare i say it....obscuring any give away details with a touch on on the photograph. with natural light and getting the focus on the better detailed items...and soft focus on the worst give the images i am usually most satisfied with.

So I use the derogatory term 'taking a snap' mostly because I am using my iPad. But frankly iPads and iPhones are getting so good. And I like the bigger screen because I can see what it will look like on a pc screen. Even my camera with its technology often leaves me with bits that appeared focused by once upsized on my pc very iffy. And updating between my iMac my iPhone and my iPad and Kals is just so much easier, set it up, and a lot gets done by itself. And I never have enough hours in my day.

• Like 3

Another where light makes all the difference

med_gallery_17883_3001_132394.jpgrmweb1166heartbeat12

med_gallery_17883_3001_8695.jpg

A birds eyre showing the light leaking through, you just need to concentrate on those areas that are benefitting and remember the light is always moving!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_131442.jpg

the same area nice enough without the light effect, but you notice more defects like the trees...because the shadows help so much with bringing in a sense of reality.

med_gallery_17883_3001_471508.jpg

• Like 5

And I notice this being done by exhibitors, some add their own lamps to bring those same effects into play.

Avenford East

med_gallery_17883_3195_355588.jpg

the light off to the right is a by product of the lamp but just look at those shadows :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3195_108372.jpg

I took several pictures here, the setting was inside but he had two lights throwing out his own shadows.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-rmweblive-sent-to-coventry-wouldnt-happen-with-jaz-around/page-274&do=findComment&comment=1580326

link to back to p274 when we are at the Midlands and East Lancs show 2014 early September 2014.

• Like 6

Kinlett Wharf

! was pming Will J regards this and he had a few words......

Will J

Sorry for the slow reply! I'm afraid there is no kinlet wharf thread as such, kinlet wharf was built in1996 (a proper veteran layout...) so all the work was done at the wyre forest club well before rmweb, and much of the rest of the Internet! There are a few references to it, and pictures in amongst my blog. Thank you for posting the pictures and the kind comments!

Jaz

WOW, you should pop an A4 sheet on it to that effect. A couple of the layout at RMlive were clearly long in the tooth. But I would not have guessed that was one. It must have been top notch in its day. I'll go mention do an update.

What about the catenary and ohe is that original? or did you spruce it up?

just so i get my facts right.

Will J

The catenary is all original with just a few little blobs of glue repairing it over the years. The layout is kept in very sturdy special wooden boxes which keep the delicate bits out of harms way!

Jaz

:O  

and to put this in context

med_gallery_17883_3195_328473.jpgrmweb2917show146

med_gallery_17883_3195_615419.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_379400.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_567650.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_484980.jpg

some edges showing, and some blur, but I am sure you get the idea.

• Like 8

Brass etching...cont'd

med_gallery_17883_3113_150540.jpgrmweb2958brassetching1

repeat of the earlier post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-rmweblive-sent-to-coventry-wouldnt-happen-with-jaz-around/page-275&do=findComment&comment=1584231

Kal said to have a go at one....pesky little devils. Soon got the hang of it though. 

1. Long nose pliers ....beware when using them for bending along the seams....in case a weaker point bends first!!!!

I found it more useful to use the long nose pliers to PROTECT next to the seam and used the bar to press against the seam.

2. Deciding which seam to bend first is tricky!!!! cause the first seam appears to be the easy seam.....after that you are terrified of messing the first on up!!!

3. When making a box bending the 90degree angles is not too hard....except for the last one!!!!! Because the thickness of the tool you are using makes it harder. The bars at this point come into their own. BUT still each carefully for the weaker part bending!!!! rather than the bit you want to bend.

4. Once your nerves are shredded, walk off, calm down and return.

5. Having a second job, e.g. checking on RMweb for updates helps break the job and stop you wanting take a hammer to it.

6. I make it sound much worse than it is, plus being a woman with smaller hands, and issues with the hands...makes it much harder. I suspect some blokes will bend these things with ease.

7. But I am pleased with the result....although I plan to buy some plastercine to push the brass etching into to hold it in place for the glue bit.....glueing myself a second time aught to be avoided....am using blue tack at the moment as a substitute.

8. They are really nice etchings....worth the effort.Hopefully the pictures which will go up in due course will prove this.

med_gallery_17883_3113_1465.jpgrmweb2959brassetching2

despite my best attempts at zinging the legs every where i managed to connect them to the main body.....phewwwww.

You do really need to think a head with these though...
med_gallery_17883_3113_329736.jpgrmweb2960brassetching3

otherwise you are in serious danger of damaging those elements you have already bent into shape.

as for plastercine still not sourced any this was the blue tack
med_gallery_17883_3113_406367.jpgrmweb2961brassetching4

I'm quite pleased though I think I managed the shape fairly well for a novice
med_gallery_17883_3113_317847.jpgrmweb2962brassetching5

yes there is an excess of blue, but once upright and painted i don't think it will be an issue
med_gallery_17883_3113_174141.jpgrmweb2963brassetching6

The thing that I am struggling with is, finding a reference picture to copy for painting, in good nick or bad......
'Shed Baskets' does not help me search on google for the actual item.....gggrrrrrrrr.......
Anyone able to help???
  • Like 4