Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Kal & Jaz

Seems that you saw some excellent layout... any personal favourites... that you liked...

the 'lochnagar' looks a nice layout...

Jamie

Cliffhangar,the cog rail and the flowing waterfall....hence the video

and a close second

Netherhope Halt, a layout with meticulously made trees.

also

Loughborough Road, Paley and Co Bootmakers building...shame my picture is somewhat fuzzy

Torringtons, gate and grass.....looks like Westerhamstation has been indulging in flockage....

David Wrights bridge over troubled water....not that he calls it that....but the label fits

and Much Murkles well painted cows and sheep being herded

Victoria Bridge...so well painted with the multiple layers over the years.....

Earls Court shop.....each one a beautiful piece of work, plus his workmen....such wonderfully accurate detailing.....If Kal and I manage to get AV in places anywhere near as good as this I will be a happy bunny

Orchard Roads detailing in the shed

and I could go on.....so I guess the answer is no....far too many beautiful little cameos. Each one a little beauty.

This is the reason I love taking the photos, because otherwise the whole show becomes blurred, and you forget such exquisite detailing. Here on AV for my own personnel pleasure, and then indexed on page 1 in due time....I have my own magical re runs. And I can scrutinise certain issues when I later come to model similar aspects.

And I for one believe the darker surroundings at the show helped me get a richer colour. (perhaps influenced by his own photographic skills) At some shows I have really struggled to overcome bright sunshine or 'coloured' lighting.For me Andy Y managed to pull out a load of stars. And set them in a bejewelled sky. Fanciful yes but the layouts were not cheek by jowl. There was room to see them from both the front and in many cases the sides. That just does not happen by chance.

Tell me this is just not just gorgeous...

med_gallery_17883_3195_181544.jpg

The workmen, the fine detailing, the nearby shop front...its depth...

the only bad bit my focusing!!!!!!

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't have put it better Jaz... my favourite... a lot of them! I could quite happily have gone back for a second day if it wasn't for the rest of life getting in the way of things. Lots of inspiration, some from surprising sources. I'm glad you took, and posted, so many photos as I have to say that I was so impressed at times that I forgot to point the camera!

• Like 2

I'm faintly regretting not spending more time there, especially as my train was cancelled and I had quite a wait!  I really wish I spent more time in the skills zones as it seems I missed some good stuff, and also chatting to all the friends but it's so rarely I get to a show I can get completely sucked in to admiring the railways...

nagh......he was due to go........the dog was peeved......

she has been getting up in the morning .....standing by the door until his finishes his fag and tea.....then going for a long walk.......

one happy dog........

she is now pining by the french windows......been and checked his room......smelt the wellies he borrowed.....

and is probably working out how to make it to Dover for her morning walk.........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Well I spent most of our ill gotten gains at the Air Brush Stall whilst at RMlive.

Ian at FINISHING TOUCHES soon had me hooked.

I went over expecting weathering nd painting tricks.....he had lots of colours etc. 

But I had seen this pot....AIR ERASER COMPOUND......and curiosity....meant I just had to ask.....what it was.

So I trotted over where he was taking a moment to look at a layout and asked him what it was, and he kindly offered to show me.

:O .....  :O .................   :O

The stuff is Aluminium compound (it states on the packaging it is AluminiumOxide...and a mask is recommended to avoid breathing in the dust. Directions which I plan to follow with care) But he pointed out it does not  :nono:  go in a normal paint airbrush....NO NO it needs a special brush....Air Eraser Kit Professional Model BD-178. £26 gets you a special air gun, a special lead (so the stuff can't shoot back into the compressor!!!!!) and some of the compound. £30 gets you the box set AND a 1kg pack of the Aluminium oxide (usually £5.00) Buying at the show saves you big time on the postage for a heavy item. I grabbed the big pot :sungum: ......

Yes Yes I know...YOU still don't know what the stuff is for.......

ah...well.....take a wagon (I would test it before going for a loco) aim the gun at the wagon....and SAND BLAST the decals off it!!!!!! At speed!!!!! And if required keep the gun on and SAND BLAST the paint off too!!!!!!! OMG......No scratching no heart in throat....just zippo... and it's gone.....like magic!!!!!! :triniti:

OK......so.....I have to prove it....today or soon.....with a poor little wagon....I plan to knock its socks off........

Now being a frugal soul.....knowing the dust is not good for you......and realising the stuff will bounce everywhere.....I have a cunning plan.........(yeah yeah it is a Blackadder reference)......

I plan to take one large plastic bread bin. Cut two holes for my hands and the gun to get in......and hopefully 'rescue' some of this stuff for reuse.......Am off to investigate the plastic bread / cake bin.....luckily being the housewife.....I do not expect to be chased out of the kitchen with a bread knife or worse!!! :hunter:

Watch this space.......

FYI Ian and Sue, Finishing Touches 0116 2785134 / 07984 678395 email eaziproducts@sky.com

and no.....I am not on commission :angel:

Edit = He remembered me from Ally Pally.....am still trying to work out if that is a good...or a bad...thing... :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Well I spent most of our ill gotten gains at the Air Brush Stall whilst at RMlive.

I went over expecting weathering nd painting tricks.....he had lots of colours etc. 

But I had seen this pot....AIR ERASER COMPOUND......and curiosity....meant I just had to ask.....what it was.

So I trotted over where he was taking a moment to look at a layout and asked him what it was, and he kindly offered to show me.

:O .....  :O .................   :O

The stuff is Aluminium compound (it states on the packaging it is AluminiumOxide...and a mask is recommended to avoid breathing in the dust. Directions which I plan to follow with care) But he pointed out it does not  :nono:  go in a normal paint airbrush....NO NO it needs a special brush....Air Eraser Kit Professional Model BD-178. £26 gets you a special air gun, a special lead (so the stuff can't shoot back into the compressor!!!!!) and some of the compound. £30 gets you the box set AND a 1kg pack of the Aluminium oxide (usually £5.00) Buying at the show saves you big time on the postage for a heavy item. I grabbed the big pot :sungum: ......

Yes Yes I know...YOU still don't know what the stuff is for.......

ah...well.....take a wagon (I would test it before going for a loco) aim the gun at the wagon....and SAND BLAST the decals off it!!!!!! At speed!!!!! And if required keep the gun on and SAND BLAST the paint off too!!!!!!! OMG......No scratching no heart in throat....just zippo... and it's gone.....like magic!!!!!! :triniti:

OK......so.....I have to prove it....today or soon.....with a poor little wagon....I plan to knock its socks off........

Now being a frugal soul.....knowing the dust is not good for you......and realising the stuff will bounce everywhere.....I have a cunning plan.........(yeah yeah it is a Blackadder reference)......

I plan to take one large plastic bread bin. Cut two holes for my hands and the gun to get in......and hopefully 'rescue' some of this stuff for reuse.......Am off to investigate the plastic bread / cake bin.....luckily being the housewife.....I do not expect to be chased out of the kitchen with a bread knife or worse!!! :hunter:

Watch this space.......

FYI Ian and Sue, Finishing Touches 0116 2785134 / 07984 678395 email eaziproducts@sky.com

and no.....I am not on commission

Edit = He remembered me from Ally Pally.....am still trying to work out if that is a good...or a bad...thing... :jester:

I have a cunning plan.

You may well,......have your name put forward, for the next RM Live  "Painting Demo".......... :O

With 2. day's of talking, you may,.......find yourself, ............... a little,.......... Hoarse........

Especially .........if your are next to the   3D,  printer stand.....

:drag: ...

Hi Jaz and Kal 

Have just been catching up with your thread. Looks like RMWeb Live was a great show if your pictures are anything to go by. I was lucky enough to see CliffHanger at the Southwold railway exhibition in early August and was seriously impressed by it. 

You may well,......have your name put forward, for the next RM Live  "Painting Demo".......... :O

With 2. day's of talking, you may,.......find yourself, ............... a little,.......... Hoarse........

Especially .........if your are next to the   3D,  printer stand.....

:drag: ...

A little horse, that's a pony, innit????

<---- hat, coat, worries on the doorstep... :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We were there all day and truth is i could have spent a week there and still not got everything done i would have like to.

I understand for some it might not be what they expected, it was unlike any other show i have seen, but for me it is the future. I get bored of the same old show format and decided to only travel to local ones in the future.

Only exception to this will be this if it runs again and its mini me, aka wrec rail

I agree Kal, I only just scratched the surface.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 2

Hi Jaz

Love the man doing the underground work, that's gave me an excellent idea... thanks for sharing that with us...

Now all I need is a tropical water pump and the small hose pipes to make a real leek... and a small tray to recycle the water back again... if you catch my idea...

Excellent work.... I wish I went now...

Jamie

• Like 4

Jaz

Did you plump for the big compressor or the smaller £80 package? They'd sold out of the smaller when I called on them (they said they'd had a great day) so I thought I'd ask wor Dan when I got back home whether the larger one could be of use to him too on his motor bike restoration projects.

I stopped for a long time afterwards next door watching that military chap Steve from Topp Shop, Stafford working away with his powders, brushed acryllics etc. I had an interesting exchange with him and a fellow spectator about using hair spray as a fixative over powders (like fixing a charcoal life drawing) instead of blasting it all off and away with matt varnish spray as this guy had done.

I ended up driving back to daughter's wondering whether the airbrush might be a bit too smooth and bland for my needs.  :paint:

dhig

PS

I've really enjoyed all the Ricoh images and videos you've posted - were they all just done with that ipad?

• Like 3

she has been getting up in the morning .....standing by the door until his finishes his fag and tea.....then going for a long walk.......

one happy dog........

she is now pining by the french windows......been and checked his room......smelt the wellies he borrowed.....

and is probably working out how to make it to Dover for her morning walk.........

she is still on her bed mopping....

Jaz

Did you plump for the big compressor or the smaller £80 package? They'd sold out of the smaller when I called on them (they said they'd had a great day) so I thought I'd ask wor Dan when I got back home whether the larger one could be of use to him too on his motor bike restoration projects.

I stopped for a long time afterwards next door watching that military chap Steve from Topp Shop, Stafford working away with his powders, brushed acryllics etc. I had an interesting exchange with him and a fellow spectator about using hair spray as a fixative over powders (like fixing a charcoal life drawing) instead of blasting it all off and away with matt varnish spray as this guy had done.

I ended up driving back to daughter's wondering whether the airbrush might be a bit too smooth and bland for my needs.  :paint:

dhig

PS

I've really enjoyed all the Ricoh images and videos you've posted - were they all just done with that ipad?

We already have a compressor, I occasionally use the air brush, but still prefer the old hand painting.

I also stopped at the Topp table....and meant to buy some weathering wood colours...am still kicking myself for forgetting.

I am NOT a really experienced airbrushed....I don't use it anywhere near enough. But Kal did realise it was better to have one with a good range of pressure. And so far the little beauty has been used for all manner of jobs......it cleans out the dust from your computer nicely :angel:

Oh and if you use the controller jerkily....you can get some spotter effects....they are fun to play with. Use a little food colouring on old envelopes and newspaper for practise.......

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

I am 'painfully' looking for the home threads of my pictures, if they are RMweb based......

so far I have found

Orchard Road

Earls Court

am just searching for Much Murkle.....

if anyone knows the links for the pictures, please feel free to add link and name to help me out.......

Jaz ....lazy sod..... :sungum:

one happy dog........

and is probably working out how to make it to............ Dover for her morning walk.........

She would enjoy this one then...................Dover Walk                 do feel my arm's have increased,by several inches, but that could be down to the..... FencePost ramming tool

I now see,, "All Inclusive", Short Break "Holidays', with a different slant.......... :O

She would enjoy this one then...................Dover Walk                 do feel my arm's have increased,by several inches, but that could be down to the..... FencePost ramming tool

I now see,, "All Inclusive", Short Break "Holidays', with a different slant.......... :O

Perhaps we should have an open day, and 'con' all our visitors to help with the fencing..... :sungum: .......

and the dog walking

and the track powering.......

.....hmmmmm slave labour :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1