Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hello Jaz,  Must say its all very colourful, love it...

George

Hi Geoerge,

It was really nice meeting you at RMlive, poor you stuck with that nutter Andy P... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I noticed on Ashcombe you mentioned you were bored with it. Was it just a bad day, or are you seriously looking for a new home for it, and on to a new project?

Hi Geoerge,

It was really nice meeting you at RMlive, poor you stuck with that nutter Andy P... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I noticed on Ashcombe you mentioned you were bored with it. Was it just a bad day, or are you seriously looking for a new home for it, and on to a new project?

Think we all go through this.... I have,......with DP,    for 3 month's or more now..........But, Iike all thing's,     it will pass.........

Coming alive eh? We are told the camera never lies.  I photographed a figure and the camera said 'Blink detected.'  See you have to watch them all the time but they will blink sometimes!

Jaz, where do you get the latex from?

I think the clowns are Langleys?  Yes Langleys.  Now how do you incorporate an Indian knife throwing act?

6.40 bargain......I have got several circus vehicles, albeit from more than one circus......Thebritfarmer was going to go with the actual set up tents, he should check out your link. Love the elephants. Need some penguins...was watching Our Zoo (Chester Zoo a BBC series)....and the people following the penguins was gorgeous

Edited by Jaz

Coming alive eh? We are told the camera never lies.  I photographed a figure and the camera said 'Blink detected.'  See you have to watch them all the time but they will blink sometimes!

Jaz, where do you get the latex from?

I think the clowns are Langleys?  Yes Langleys.  Now how do you incorporate an Indian knife throwing act?

Latex I use a modelling latex meant for tree bark...

Latex is in several products Copydex glue has latex, not that I have tried it...but I suspect it would do pretty much the same job.

http://www.green-scene.co.uk/Accessories.html

flexi-bark paste 3.95

I think they are going to Peterborough show in October saving 1.95 post

So we have this

then this

med_gallery_17883_3112_129981.jpg

and I have added some Deluxe materials ...Making Waves...which is shockingly expensive (£8.50 for 100ml)  as it appears to just be thicken PVA although it says it is a water based transparent RESIN. But it is mouldable. And although it starts opaque will dry and go transparent.

med_gallery_17883_3112_211398.jpgrmweb3039figures48

Clown with squirting flowers....versus Clown with bucket of water.....hmmmmm....RUN!!!!!!!!!...ah oh.....ooooh....cornered!!!! :scared:

need to wait for the 'waves' to dry.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz,

The water looks spectacular. (I like the clowns as well, but it's the water that caught my eye most). Am I correct in reading from above that the ripples are completely from applying varnish layer on top of another that wasn't completely dry? Was there really nothing else that you did to get the effect?

If that is the case I'm also curious... was it something that you knew would happen, or was it a miraculous mistake from being impatient and not waiting long enough for the layer to dry? :swoon:

Regards, Neil

Hi Jaz,

The water looks spectacular. (I like the clowns as well, but it's the water that caught my eye most). Am I correct in reading from above that the ripples are completely from applying varnish layer on top of another that wasn't completely dry? Was there really nothing else that you did to get the effect?

If that is the case I'm also curious... was it something that you knew would happen, or was it a miraculous mistake from being impatient and not waiting long enough for the layer to dry? :swoon:

Regards, Neil

it is wet layer on tacky level, as you say.

If you want ripples don't let the varnish dry, until at least two layers are in place, too wet though and they merge and no ripple effect. And no nothing extra, although I have a tendency to layer thinn paint between for depth effect...that might have an impact. BUT I have got this to work without adding the watery colour. The water layer UNDER the varnish might exasperate the effect.

And as you say it was pure happenstance that it rippled, first off I thought OMG I'll have to rip it up, then the sun came out and I saw the light reflection and grabbed the camera QUICK!!!!

Other people PURPOSELY use PVA for water and as it becomes tacky work it with a cocktail stick. Allan Downes does this with real finesse. Although my way does not need so much working.

Oh, and as for varnish use the old fashioned stuff, clear or honey coloured, BUT do not use the super quick driers, they go on white and stay white for ages before drying, and do not appear to ripple spontaneously, although I stopped using this stuff and have not specifically used it to try for this effect. Regardless but a SMALL can first. Cheap stuff for Wilkinsons is perfectly ok.

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

So so envious of your skills with a paint brush Jaz. You must have such a steady hand and I bet you've never touched a cigarette in your life?

That Delux Making Waves was worth every penny BTW. Definitely the best modeled water I've seen.

So so envious of your skills with a paint brush Jaz. You must have such a steady hand and I bet you've never touched a cigarette in your life?

That Delux Making Waves was worth every penny BTW. Definitely the best modeled water I've seen.

What does cigarette smoking do?

a steady hand........

often this is best achieved by resting your painting  hand on something appropriate, I often use one hand to balance the other when painting.I hold the paint brush thumb and fore finger, and the item to be paint thumb and fore finger, and then 'lock' my middle fingers for support.

• Like 1

Makes your hands shake. Give a smoker an A4 sheet of paper and ask them to hold it out flat and stop it shimmering. Not possible.

maybe guzzling alcohol counteracts it.... :angel: ...

but your right I don't smoke, and since I was pregnant the first time around I don't think I have been roaring drunk either, and don't imbibe too often.

We once threw out a load of drink considering it to be too old. My dad almost fainted. But he kept 'cocktail' mixers well beyond shelf life...about 10 years!!!! It was a fight to throw them out when they separated.....yuk.........

Sugary alcohol apparently is fine, however, dairy booze e.g. Baileys dates,,,and must therefore be drunk before this happens :angel:  I never let our Baileys get that old :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Sasquatch

As a smoker this is not a problem that I've come across. I suppose that means I'm not normal (A Lunester) :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

I hardly drink either (anymore).

Duncan

Me neither...

However, as Duncan and I are both ex paramedics, perhaps we have special training... It doesn't do to approach a patient's veins with a cannula when your hand is shaking like a leaf - it gives the wrong impression... :D

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Not wishing to hijack your thread but your pictures of brushes above made me think this would be useful

post-11508-0-57137100-1411668761.jpg

It is not as clear as I would have liked as the light was beginning to go.  These three brushes are all 5/0.  The one on the left is Hornby and as you see has a fine point but is very thick.  The middle one is Italeri,  and the one on the right is J. Perrins.  This last one is actually about half the width of the middle one.  I obviously have to chose which one I use for which.  They all suffer from my cleaning methods.  Oh well.

I also paint as you do with both elbows on the table and at least one finger from each hand touching to stop me shaking.

I am not going to comment on the clowns and the water as I probably said they were amazing the first time that they were posted. ;)   Still amazing, and they have moved, now that is scary if they moved when you were not looking. 

• Like 1

Jaz,

Not wishing to hijack your thread but your pictures of brushes above made me think this would be useful

attachicon.gifBrushes.jpg

It is not as clear as I would have liked as the light was beginning to go.  These three brushes are all 5/0.  The one on the left is Hornby and as you see has a fine point but is very thick.  The middle one is Italeri,  and the one on the right is J. Perrins.  This last one is actually about half the width of the middle one.  I obviously have to chose which one I use for which.  They all suffer from my cleaning methods.  Oh well.

I also paint as you do with both elbows on the table and at least one finger from each hand touching to stop me shaking.

I am not going to comment on the clowns and the water as I probably said they were amazing the first time that they were posted. ;)   Still amazing, and they have moved, now that is scary if they moved when you were not looking. 

I think I have seen this before sizes within a single range should hopefully compare. But put what should be the same size from different ranges and the results as in your case can be staggeringly different. Because I tend to paint on textured surfaces I wear out brushes very fast so usually don't buy expensive ones. 

I have not so far noticed them moving around by them selves. And I know there is a trend towards scary clowns, but for me clowns are funny and make me giggle. Some clown with a definite smily face walked thru New York and they almost wet themselves. The scary clowns are clearly made to look scary. But clearly some poor children have been traumatised. And now films and books include them in the horror section. Initially it must have been the unexpected. But soon you won't be able to take young kids to the circus to see clowns...they'll be terrified!!!!!

Personally I love fancy dress, and my kids are in costumes at the drop of a hat. Clowns included.I make a great witch....

the 'waves' has started to dry

med_gallery_17883_2806_165023.jpgrmweb3045figures54

and s it dried the original paint job shows thru the transparent 'water'

med_gallery_17883_2806_380175.jpgrmweb3047figures56

so I add more 'waves' and dabbed a little blue on to....now just need it to dry, and add a last dab of white

med_gallery_17883_2806_430096.jpgrmweb3048figures57

FYI this is the same way I built up my waterfall

Edited by Jaz

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh    ..............................     :this:     .....................................................     :swoon:  :swoon:   ...................................

Me neither...

However, as Duncan and I are both ex paramedics, perhaps we have special training... It doesn't do to approach a patient's veins with a cannula when your hand is shaking like a leaf - it gives the wrong impression.

...................................................   Oh there's a relief            ...............     you said ex-paramedics   ............................         :imsohappy: