Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I love water features, my first was my waterfall and it took months to build up slowly

part way in. I built it up on a piece of cork which is excellent for modelling rock.

med_gallery_17883_3225_614496.jpgmweb3049waterfall1

med_gallery_17883_3225_306228.jpgrmweb3050waterfall2

I used 3 types of 'water' for this water fall, and PVA glue.

med_gallery_17883_3225_524902.jpgrmweb3051waterfall3

the paint was added while the varnish was wet

med_gallery_17883_3225_347120.jpgrmweb3052waterfall4

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

maybe guzzling alcohol counteracts it.... :angel: ...

I've rivetted together many sets of Walschaerts valve gear on DJH kits before now, with the help of alcohol....................... and as for 66720 - Hic!

Cheers,

Mick

I've rivetted together many sets of Walschaerts valve gear on DJH kits before now, with the help of alcohol....................... and as for 66720 - Hic!

Cheers,

Mick

I can't even say walsssschaerts valve gear......when sober.......

I was sober painting my 66720......but you did provide a blue print......

.....so I bow to your wonderful results......all hail the ale........fruit drink for the ladies.......hic....... :sungum: .......does dropping raspberries in to pimms count????

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't even say walsssschaerts valve gear......when sober.......

I was sober painting my 66720......but you did provide a blue print......

.....so I bow to your wonderful results......all hail the ale........fruit drink for the ladies.......hic....... :sungum: .......does dropping raspberries in to pimms count????

Just wait until you see the wiring on DL................. :drink_mini:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

I'm of the opinion I over did the blue, there is not enough transparency .ie. I painted too much, in fact it might have been as good with NO added colour whatsoever

fresh resin still white

med_gallery_17883_2806_117116.jpgrmweb3049figures58

the resin is becoming transparent

med_gallery_17883_2806_399146.jpgrmweb3050figures59

closer

med_gallery_17883_2806_422079.jpgrmweb3051figures60

med_gallery_17883_2806_406356.jpgrmweb3052figures61

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

Here you can see the resin becoming transparent and looking like water

med_gallery_17883_2806_435057.jpgrmweb3053figures62

closer

med_gallery_17883_2806_299573.jpgrmweb3054figures63

I had added a little more resin as I painted way too much, IMO, seen from the other side

med_gallery_17883_2806_64145.jpgrmweb3055figures64

I have decided to try some on the guy with the squirty flowers....but there will be no colouring just the resin by itself for comparison.

• Like 5

It is too blue...... I added some transparent smoke to tone it down ...

oh and some more of the transparent resin.....

and that may be an issue......as there may be more water come out of the bucket...than the bucket could have held in the first place... :angel:

I wonder if they do a clown holding a hose..... :jester:

When you 'look' at the water with the blue it looks fine.....but once you photograph.....your brain knows there really wouldn't be so much blue although here there is plenty of blue or is it grey?

uni_nyetraditions13_wmain.jpgabcnews.go.com

the thing I like most about this picture...is the fact it too looks at though there is much more water than originated in the bucket. :angel:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 9

it`s all Jazz & mick`s fault in spending the day reading al 7,161 posts :O

Had planed a nice chilled day fishing sharks (on a game I play) and make about 2mil cash, instead I made the mistake of popping on here this morning for a quick catch up on threads I follow and a bigger mistake of  - oh must have a look at this AV jazz & mick say about...........

Jazz Kal

talk about a book you cant put down as all I`ve done is make cuppa`s  and read through as it has been so addictive and a massive pleasure it`s been.

oh I need new pair of eyes as well :P

I had no idea how big this was and more so the fact of how it all started, just by you opening that simple set box and the journey of how AV is now. What makes it an even greater read through as some have said on how you show attempts at stuff and then go about improving it till it`s what your original idea of how it should be that you wanted. Many don't do that and only show end result stating this took 3 or 8 goes till I was happy etc. This shows what craftsman you both are for correcting faults or fully changing updating an area that was already top class.

I have learnt many things today my brain has about shut down, keep up the inspirational work on AV and will follow it`s future with great interest.

All the best to you both,

edit:

PS: I forgot to say biggest thing learnt is DONT be sat/stood still by jazz if she got brush & paint nearby, if you don't look human she`s likely to repaint you many times lol

rather then doing many Individual ones I thought one big one was best.

Like  /  Craftsmanship   :sungum:

Edited by yorkie_pudd
  • Like 3

Hi Ken

And thank you. craftsmen... Not sure about that, but we do keep trying until we get there, which as you say often takes many attempts.

So many people share so many things with us, we think it only fair that we try to offer something back. sometimes it is all a bit mythbusters, ....we muck stuff up, so you don't have to folks... But if that prevents someone making the same silly mistake, it is worth the writing.

Long long way to go, so i dare say there will be many more pages, biggest problem is finding stuff in here. So many people have contibuted fantastic ideas, and i know i have read it, but sometimes it is a challenge just finding it.

I have said it before, but it bears repeating, the people that add to this topic and provide the help and support, are what spurs us on.

It has been a bit slow over the summer, but I think a lot of people get that. Today though, we got started ripping out the end of the current layout and planning the extension into the old loft. Insulation board on the eaves is almost done in the first section, and once the plasterboard arrives and is up, i will build the table for the next section, and the start of the lower level fiddle yard.

Lesson learned from the earlier attempt, is to have enough space between levels to able to actualy be able to slide yourself in between the levels, so i have a 14 inch space between levels.

The challenge is to slope the extension from the existing level to accomadate that space while ensuring the longest trains, about 12 feet long, can climb the gradient. I am aiming for 1 in 55.

So watch this space, it will either be a pleasing result,..... or a train wreck in pictures.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

... have enough space between levels to able to actualy be able to slide yourself in between the levels, so i have a 14 inch space between levels.

I'd be concerned as to how many years 14 inches will suffice. Speaking personally of course!  :jester:

• Like 1

it`s all Jazz & mick`s fault in spending the day reading al 7,161 posts :O

Had planed a nice chilled day fishing sharks (on a game I play) and make about 2mil cash, instead I made the mistake of popping on here this morning for a quick catch up on threads I follow and a bigger mistake of  - oh must have a look at this AV jazz & mick say about...........

Jazz Kal

talk about a book you cant put down as all I`ve done is make cuppa`s  and read through as it has been so addictive and a massive pleasure it`s been.

oh I need new pair of eyes as well :P

I had no idea how big this was and more so the fact of how it all started, just by you opening that simple set box and the journey of how AV is now. What makes it an even greater read through as some have said on how you show attempts at stuff and then go about improving it till it`s what your original idea of how it should be that you wanted. Many don't do that and only show end result stating this took 3 or 8 goes till I was happy etc. This shows what craftsman you both are for correcting faults or fully changing updating an area that was already top class.

I have learnt many things today my brain has about shut down, keep up the inspirational work on AV and will follow it`s future with great interest.

All the best to you both,

edit:

PS: I forgot to say biggest thing learnt is DONT be sat/stood still by jazz if she got brush & paint nearby, if you don't look human she`s likely to repaint you many times lol

rather then doing many Individual ones I thought one big one was best.

Like  /  Craftsmanship   :sungum:

edit= Ken /Yorkie Pud

• That's a lovely post, thank you so much. As Kal says it is with the help of friends that we have improved.
  • These friends are also very good at lightening the mood and turning elements which could be hard work (boring) into light hearted reading. Which is why we reciprocate on their threads.
  • A bunch of us are willing to show the good and the bad. Which we believe helps avoid 'rain wrecks'.
  • Others might like to think yorkie exaggerates over the..... if its not moving it might get a lick of paint..... but for those that have visited our home, they know this is all too true. Although I do try to stick to face paints when necessary LOL. Many a room has a mural.And if you visit at Halloween on your on head be it...literally :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I commend you for catching up, poor Anotheran trawled through recently in bite sizes, every day I could see when he was about as he dropped in likes. Not that those are needed but it made me smile as I knew the poor bloke was slogging determinedly through. 

And as I have learnt more in the last year or so, I find it instructive to go back on friends threads, certainly Micks and re read technical stuff with a better understanding. Thankfully I have put an index on page 1 here for when I want to go back and refer to items. I have also linked at times to bits of special interest so that they are not too had to track down when i want to use them. Although others are unlikely to notice these breadcrumbs.

Anyway thank you a lovely post.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Hi

Thought i would garner some opinions on track spacing. I.e the space between tracks not the sleepers debate.

When i laid the original parts of the layout I used the peco streamline spacing, as i was using peco steamline points and so it seems logical. The issues are though:

1. there seems to be looking limited space between tracks

2 almost all rtr accessories and detailing seems to be set for set track spacing :(

I do not think the looks come into it, in reality the track spacing i discover on the protoype is anything but uniform and i have copious amounts of photos that bear this out.

As i move into the new area, i am re thinking this and considering the set track spacing, but that will make complex track crossings a bit of a conundrum.

So what do readers do? Track spacing steamline or set track? If set track how do you deal with streamline points, exten them or compress the track before and after.

Answers on a postcard please. Oh and then please wite them here too :)

• Like 4

I'm currently dealing with the same issue this very morning.

My photo/test board was built/thrown together with very old rusty steel Hornby track and knackered old Hornby points.

I'm just trying to extend but using Peco streamline points and flexible track.

I'm just bending the track in to meet up with the points.

It just means the sidings are not parallel, but it's not that noticeable.

But like you say the prototype is far from uniform so who cares? Not I. :)

• Like 1

The Streamline spacing I believe should be the correct spacing (with the possible exception of some ex-GWR lines). Setrack spacing is wider to allow for the overhang of rolling stock on the sharp curves.

I'm not quite sure which accessories you have in mind - I suppose the obvious ones will be level crossings and bridges/tunnel mouths. Items in the Hornby range in particular will be for Setrack spacing as their track is to Setrack geometry (or is it the other way round?). I can't speak for products from other manufacturers owing to less familiarity.

The layout in my father's loft does include a section of Setrack spacing on a double track reversing loop (R1 and R2). There is a crossover between the loops which uses Streamline points with a short section of straight track between them. 

I've heard it said that the original spacing between the up and down lines on the Liverpool and Manchester was even narrower at 4' 8 1/2" so that out of gauge loads could be run up the centre but that seems rather far-fetched to me!

• Like 2

There are pesky items like cables, gantry supports,  normal signals, ground signals, point motors, telephones,  line side cabinets, and other 'annoying' track side bits and pieces you need to fit in between the tracks, and somehow despite the fact they are sold as 1:76 there just never seems to be enough room for the trains to pass without swiping them!!!! :O  :O  :O

Even putting 'cables' on the platform sides is fraught with concerns about catching the trains. :butcher:

Hi

Crossings not so much, i will scratch them, but, bridges, catenary signal gantry, tunnel entrances, engine sheds etc al seem to be at set track spacing.

Of couse if they were all scratch built, no problem but my life will not be long enough to fill the whole of AV with scratch build.

Also some RTR is so cheap and good, that scratch bulding makes no sense, when the rtr is more cost affective and can be personilsed with minimum effort.

I will scratch build somethings, just for the fun of it and where there are no other options, but because of the scope of AV some RTR is inevitable.

• Like 2

Kal has been saying about the new area to be rolled out.

This picture is the track disappearing from the new loft. You see the upper level

med_gallery_17883_3404_108458.jpgrmweb3061layout1

across the stairwell, here you see the upper and lower level

med_gallery_17883_3404_527643.jpgrmweb3062layout2

and into the older loft ...the light at the back is the new loft, on the top layer

med_gallery_17883_3404_495767.jpgrmweb3063layout3

Original the roundy roundy ended here, Kal and David Todd were recently and frantically trying to power up the last few tracks (not for the first time)

Kal has decided to bite the bullet and redo the tracks as the way they are intended to go in the long run, rather than put ann more into something he is only going to replace anyway.

• Like 5