The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A holiday in Blighty

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the "what I did on my holidays" Ian - I;m so pleased that it all worked out for you, and took you out of yourself a bit after the terrible year you had - shame you didn't make it "oop norf" to meet some RMWebbers living and modelling (Or RMWebbing) in the nether regions beyond Birmingham.  Had you come here, you'd have killed two more ER's with one stone, as if you had come to visit me, we could have popped round to say hello to Ohmisterporter, who lives just down the road from me!  Maybe next time.....

• RMweb Gold

....So a lovely day went on, meeting at least a dozen new RMwebbers, lunching with a group of them, buying the odd item here and there......

Cheers all!

It was great to meet you too Ian. Next time you are in country we'll have to get the Captain to organise a SWAG get together.

I'm delighted to see that Kingston's "domino" phone boxes are still there! It's years since I last saw them. They probably even have listed status by now. If I ever model a town centre "cameo", that's top of my list. Thanks for taking the time to upload the pics Ian.

Lovely! You make Dorking seem interesting!!!!!!!!.......

......Best, Pete.

But it is - you only have to look at the people who grew up there to know that!!

• RMweb Gold

But it is - you only have to look at the people who grew up there to know that!!

As a matter of interest,  the residential elite of Telford are locally referred to as 'Telfs',

So what are the residents of Dorking known as?

Regards

Richard

As a matter of interest,  the residential elite of Telford are locally referred to as 'Telfs',

So what are the residents of Dorking known as?

Regards

Richard

Lucky?

I've got fond memories of the area around Dorking, Reigate, Box Hill and Epsom!

Dorkonians!!!

Glad you didn't say "Dorks"! Perhaps that's what you were thinking!!

The usual name is Dorkinian, hence our alma mater boasts an Old Dorkinian Society.

• RMweb Gold

Cracking holiday blog Ian

Nice to see you got priorities right and did the OWW on day 1 - at least its nearly back to former glories thanks to efforts of CK and others. Not quite the same without a Warship up front though.

As for the door handle problems - what on earth did folks do on the Cotswold line before central door locking - 12 coach trains in platforms that were lucky to accommodate one third of that and, when singled, platforms on different sides of the track. Where are the fields full of lineside graves I wonder?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The last person to call me a Dork was a colleague in the '90s. The last I heard of him, he was in the frame for prosecution as a result of the Hatfield disaster. And he had a Triumph Stag. Some people are born to suffer.

Sherry and I were lucky - we went to a good school in a lovely area, an era of "real" education. Reunions in 1992 and 2012 were happy affairs.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

many thanks for the interesting read about your travels, you certainly packed a lot in. It was indeed a pleasure to meet you face to face after all this time...

Archived