Bath Spa - High tech modelling: Bringing 1947 into the 21st century. 3d printed scenery, cnc milled track, laser cut baseboards and computer control

Rabs

• RMweb Gold

A few months ago I came across this:

Simple 1D motion with a 2mm vehicle works quite well:

Well 4mm daleks are now possible! ;)

So how long before you can make passengers move with this type of technology?

Fascinating development in the layout structure and this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's finally coming together:

attachicon.gif2014-09-08 15.25.28.jpg

All but two boards assembled and ready.

attachicon.gif2014-09-08 15.25.42.jpg

I like this shot - I can finally start to get an idea of what the view down the line is going to be like.

The last couple of boards are cut and ready to glue together.  Then I'll have to find somewhere with enough space to set it all up because it won't fit in the workshop!

Rabs, where are you  based? I am sure that there are folk on here who would want to help you find somewhere to work on this ground-breaking project.

Hi,

Thanks, that's very kind. I'm near Bedford.  Fortunately I do actually have space to set the layout up in my dining room - but that can only be temporary before my wife arranges a party just to make me clear the table!

I've also recently joined the EBMRS in Sandy, where a group of us are starting a new N gauge layout (the club's first foray outside 4mm).  This will be a more substantial layout using similar methods.  When we create a thread for the new project I'll put a link here.

• Like 1

Hi Rabs,

Alternatively, if I can find a suitable flux then I could cause it to wet onto a sheet of another metal.

I acquired some pellets from a 'wild fowler' that I know. Apparently, when Bismuth first was used as shot in cartridges, it was brittle. I think it has since been alloyed with tin. Anyway, it melts easily with an ordinary soldering iron, and using phosphoric acid (milk-stone remover) as a flux, I found it 'tins' brass and steel easily. I think a couple of heated rollers could roll it into a thin sheet, it sort of behaves as a high lead content (plumbers) solder. However, Without being at all scientific, the crude testing I have done does not show any noticeable diamagnetic properties, unlike I've seen in the videos of the graphite crystals.

Instead of tracks in x/y direction, the track could be windings as in a linear motor, and at junctions you could interleave other windings to drag the magnet around the corner. With a bit of thinking, could design a sort of clip together 'set-track' road system, the electronics in the kerb. It could add interest to a corner of a layout, but even as a diy effort, it could be expensive for a larger road system.

using phosphoric acid (milk-stone remover) as a flux, I found it 'tins' brass and steel easily.

Thanks, that's very helpful.  I'd tried a few fluxes but ran out of time to experiment.  The pellets I have are pure bismuth, but hopefully the same will work for me.

Most of the levitation videos show the carbon levitating over the ferromagnets.  This works well because the carbon is much lower density.  The issue with levitating ferromagnets over diamanets is that the ferromagnets tend to be too heavy for them to levitate properly.

The experiments I've done since then, and a more careful read of SRI's patent, leads me to the conclusion that the diamagnetism thing is a bit of a red herring.  In their videos they seem to have several sections where they aren't even using it.  I suspect that the main advantage is from the low friction of the graphite.  PTFE (teflon) would probably work just as well.

Instead of tracks in x/y direction, the track could be windings as in a linear motor, and at junctions you could interleave other windings to drag the magnet around the corner. With a bit of thinking, could design a sort of clip together 'set-track' road system, the electronics in the kerb. It could add interest to a corner of a layout, but even as a diy effort, it could be expensive for a larger road system.

True, windings would provide a more powerful magnetic field but I think that you are right, the cost would probably be prohibitive.  

I think that I've come up with a grid arrangement which allows 2D translation and rotation of the magnets and where the PCBs could be tiled to give an unlimited running area.  The cost is likely to be in the region of 50p per magnet set for the vehicles (need a particular pattern of poles) and about £10 per 10cmx10cm road tile.  If I can program the control system right this would allow any shape of motion for the vehicle.

Early days.  When I have something to show I'll start a new thread.  For now: back to Bath!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a shame when threads stop :(

Sorry :(  Life has been very busy the last couple of years.  What with starting a new company and now a baby on the way and planning a house move, time has been very scarce.  What little modelling time I have has been going into the EBMRS model of Aylesbury (which is coming on quite nicely).  I do fully intend to come back to Bath in the not too distant future.  When the house move is complete I hope to have enough space to set it up again and carry on.  I will be back, and will update this thread when I have some progress to show.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry :(  Life has been very busy the last couple of years.  What with starting a new company and now a baby on the way and planning a house move, time has been very scarce.  What little modelling time I have has been going into the EBMRS model of Aylesbury (which is coming on quite nicely).  I do fully intend to come back to Bath in the not too distant future.  When the house move is complete I hope to have enough space to set it up again and carry on.  I will be back, and will update this thread when I have some progress to show.

Be great to see this moving on again maybe a year or two yet though judging by the commitments you describe ! Anyway I for one will be knocking around and patiently waiting.

Cheers for sharing.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Be great to see this moving on again maybe a year or two yet though judging by the commitments you describe ! Anyway I for one will be knocking around and patiently waiting.

Cheers for sharing.

Me too. Unfortunately, work and especially family comes first.

• 6 years later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I go away for a few days and look what happens...

I return after a brief hiatus (cough, 10 years, cough) and things certainly seem to have changed around rmweb.

Looks like I need to replace a load of photos. 

Anyway, I got Bath out the other day and started doing some modelling. All the boards are now assembled and track plans downPXL_20240403_155312580.jpg.ef210eb5c602c2a6c94b5eae69a67ce3.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Said I’d be still be knocking around waiting, well 6 years later I am! 
Good to see it out and yes shame about losing all those photos. I held off for a long time as I double post over on Western Thunder so it was all there then Jeff Grainger convinced me to sort it out it’s the currency of the forum.

Still my build in the same 6 years has bearly moved! So I’m reassured I’m in good company 😆