The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New digital radio rock station

steve1

Yeap, I wondered where Nicky went, he seemed to go in a bit of a hurry. Planet Rock has gone down hill since they sold out to 'Bauer Media' I'm afraid, I won't be renewing my VIP membership me-thinks.

A disatisfied listener.

Dave Franks

These days, for a large part of its airtime, Planet Rock just repeats a long list of "favourites" and "hit" tracks.

The same old, same old, played over and over.

Alice's shows (also repeated over and over) are also "tired" and boring.

I found Team Rock over a month ago when I "tuned in" the DAB radio in my new car.

It was initially a continuous test transmission. I'm not sure if they're into a normal programming schedule now?

Whatever the musical genre, mostly continuous music without the interruption of endless pointless "chat" wins my vote; so I will listen a bit more to this station.

I would listen to BBC 6Music more if it wasn't for the lengthy gaps between tunes, filled with mostly pointless, seemingly endless time filling chatter.

That's where Internet radio stations and streaming services like Spotify etc, wins hands down.

I would listen to BBC 6Music more if it wasn't for the lengthy gaps between tunes, filled with mostly pointless, seemingly endless time filling chatter.

That's where Internet radio stations and streaming services like Spotify etc, wins hands down..

Back in the BBC version of the 60's, we used to put up with the BBC dance band (or similar) as a filler because of needletime restrictions. Paradoxically, with those restrictions long gone, they now seem to use (today's equivalent of) proper music to pad out pointless witterings. One reason we switched to streaming from an mp3 jukebox. I buy old off-air recordings of Fluff Freeman doing Pick of The Pops the first time round. Staggering amount of content by comparison.

The Nim.

For what its worth I gave up on "radio" years ago. As previously mentioned too much waffle between tracks. Absolute Radio seems to be the worst for this. Another pain is too many stations use the same bit of software to program their playlist for the week or longer. That's why you tend to hear the same bloody song at the same time of day for several days in a row.

Normally now I just plug in my iPhone to the car stereo and let it shuffle me to my destination. At home I use a service called live365.com. You just pick and choose what ever genre you fancy from 7000+ stations. There are other services out there that are similar.

Sorry to be a nerd but what station setting is team rock !!

Just retune / rescan your DAB radio.

If you have an internet radio, just use the search facility to find the station and store it as a favourite.

On a similar note, Planet Rock will be taking over Kerrang!'s FM 105.2 frequency in the Midlands area from the end of next week, so it sounds like whoever is in charge think they know what they're doing.... (and they've chosen a time when half of the listeners will be off to Download and won't realise until the following week).

I've only listened to Planet Rock recently when a demo car had a DAB radio fitted. It was like listening to somebody else's Jukebox selection in a Pub- some songs were worth listening to, others were only there as a toilet break..  

• RMweb Premium

I had a listen today and was quite impressed by the stuff they played.

There was more of a variety than Planet rock plays and some more heavier stuff.

I do like Planet Rock so will have to wait and see what Team Rock is like once its up and running properly.

I was disappointed when The Storm closed and have been lumbered with Planet Rock  in the car with the new D.J.s which are not as good as the earlier ones. Alice Cooper followed by Rob Birney in the mornings used to be quite good The Arrow used to use the same software as Planet Rock because you could turn over and hear the same songs, some often a bit obscure, delayed by fifteen minutes which was spooky.

I must dig out this new station, but for those of us who are early adopter rock chics with a Blaupunkt Woodstock in the car we need to know which ensemble(s) the radio station is on in order to tune it!

Until recently, we had an excellent digital station here in Denmark called DR Rock (that's Danske Radio Rock but it inevitably got referred to as Doctor Rock).No DJs, no commercials. Wall-to-wall Zep, Sabbath, Purple, Floyd, Alice Cooper, Guns 'n' Roses, Bowie, etc., etc., etc. I learned about newer bands like Gov't Mule (track 'em down - they're good), expanded my music collection massively. B******s shut the station down, directed us to another station called P6 Beat which sucks like an industrial vacuum cleaner on an overload test. If this new station there in Blighty is a success, grab it while you can.

Found it yesterday on my DAB car system ... liked the mix being played on the test broadcast will keep checking .... I did note that the signal appeared much stronger than Planet Rock more on a par with the BBC DAB signal . I do find that Planet Rock is always the first DAB station I lose here in North Wales / Shropshire areas seems to be a lot of DAB black spots !!!!

I think a lot of these Digital Broadcasts and I included the TV system in this statement have been launched before reception quality has been perfected.

Hey Xerces,theres a song by Kiss that says something like that.It was probably written about them more than us but its not an old classic either.Its on their Sonic Boom album,and very good too from a bunch of pension aged rockers.They can still rock hard too.

I saw them on their last tour,brilliant,absolutely brilliant.

If its too loud,you're too old.....

Pete

Has anyone tried Real Radio XS?

I listen to it frquently,in fact,today a few of us from our model railway club went down to the clubrooms and we had it on all day.Whilst there I also weathered my Farish class 37 in between a bit of rockin'.

Pete

Unfortunately the majority of radio stations appear to by run by or for talentless dj's who are full of their own self importance and truly believe that they are more talented than the musician they are playing! Music is an art form, talking and putting on a record or cd is not, even I can do that! ;-)

I first heard of Team Rock a month or so ago on their test transmissions while I was just trying to find an alternative to the much maligned PR.

I was quite impressed with the first few hours that I heard, alot of American 90/2000 rock/metal and plenty of English too.

I was guilty of turning up to eleven when they played Diamond Head and swore quite loudly when they played  Queen, (probably one of the only bands that are played on most radio stations.)

I haven't been in the loft (where my DAB lives) for a while now but if they have started to transmit as a bonefide digital station then I'll have to get my little portable DAB for the kitchen.

Nicky Horne is a sad loss for PR but a boon for TR just as long as that idiot that relaced Rob Birnie stays at PR and doesn't move over for the early beginnings TR should be alright.

Happy listening.

Please bear in mind while at work i can only listen to a really naff supermarket type radio, although they do play half decent tunes, its just the cringe-worthy " Welcome to the **-**, in store today is lard buy one get one free" and many other similar offers.

Has anyone tried Real Radio XS?

I listen to it frquently,in fact,today a few of us from our model railway club went down to the clubrooms and we had it on all day.Whilst there I also weathered my Farish class 37 in between a bit of rockin'.

Yes - originally just Manchester-based - ex 106.1 Rock Radio but going out DAB to other areas and steadily heading down the toilet as Corporate takeovers breathe their fresh air over the station  :no:

I think TeamRock have 'Dewsbury' on the team who is ex - Real Radio XS.

I still listen at certain times of the day but I'm sure you'll be sick of the repetition soon. (Known as the Bon Jovi/Springsteen/Meat Loaf Triangle)

I mean, the 2-7pm afternoon/drivetime features a DJ who's about as rock as Bucks Fizz and calls himself 'Marky Mark' - post-954-0-64848900-1368625847.png

You watch - Timmy Mallett will be doing the Breakfast slot soon  :mosking:

Team Rock is now transmitting as a radio station*. Good luck too them, as of yet no ads, no news who cares about the news and ads I don't.

* As from 2 minutes to midnight 16/06/13.

One assumes that they played an apt Iron Maiden tune, for the life of me I can't think of the title.

Team Rock, rock on.

Archived