RMweb

Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

Also (before I put up pictures from today), the two SMR10s from Hunter Valley Training Company (HVTC) are most likely to become ours very shortly, through being given them.

I'm sorry to hear that. You're welcome to the bloody things! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

You've had a busy day by the sounds of it. I saw the CPHs this morning before I started work - just had to look about of my kitchen window for that. And I passed the 620 and the Pig earlier this arvo on my first trip into town. The train radio/ATP trial V-set was out on the Illawarra too, it passed me at Carlton as I was passing the Pig. If I'd been in the right spot it would have made a great photo!

All the best,

Mark.

I certainly did. Caught the 9:39 (delayed 33) out of Sutherland, not returning until after 4:30. And all without travelling very far at all. I'd love your kitchen window from the sounds of it.

The ATP train is a nightmare to catch. I managed two average shots of it at Gymea, and missed it at Loftus (by 1min) due to not knowing where it was and wandering away from the station.

The RMS 620 looks excellent, but I can't wait to see the Goodwin Alco Group 629/729 come out, as that is going back to as near to original condition as possible. They even have an original first class/second class partition out of 636, which was up at Valley Heights until cut up (it was in a bad way). For anyone that wants one, RailCorp have ML070 (631/731) and 625/725 listed for disposal now apparently. Though from what I am told, you'd have to strip ML070 for all the parts in it they nicked off '25

I'm sorry to hear that. You're welcome to the bloody things! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

I believe one may stay at Broadmeadow, and one may go to Thirlmere. Probably just stay on the branch most of the time down there, ala 2705. That's also coming up for a heavy general, so we do need something to replace it. I did wonder if that meant 3001T or 3137 may have been made to go again, but that's doubtful now (aww.....).

Speaking of 30s, I am aware that 3112 has gone AWOL from Canberra ARHS. To where, I do not know.

Edited by 69843

BB18¼ 1079 and AC16 221A transfer from Ipswich to Mayne for Saturday's ARHS tour to the Port of Brisbane and Box Flat. Good to see The Yank bank in service. That brings the QR Heritage operational steam fleet back up to 5. Should be 6 next year.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 3

smlP1010138_zpsd1706e8c.jpg

smlP1010139_zpsdaa4a880.jpg

smlP1010151_zpsbead0e69.jpg

PM 721 sitting where it has since the late 60's. the covering roof as seen in the top of the 3 pictures is a very recent addition to try and slow down any further deterioration, but 45 years in the open has taken it's toll. It's hard to believe that this engine was driven into place, the fire dropped and never moved again.....

The connecting rods were removed, so some work was clearly done on it! Still looks better than much of the stock sitting in the quasi-scrapyard at Dorrigo.....  :butcher:

They certainly are. They've got a new coat of paint as well-look a lot better now!

I've been lucky enough to have a chat to Boyd, and also have ridden in private BAM 1748 while on duty with Heritage Express.

Did you manage to talk to him about 3112? She is a VERY depressing site, considering that the owner is such a train fan...

Also, how often do you frequent the RTM? If you're on restoration and maintence I should be looking forward to working with you on the ABV or such similar projects.

Did you manage to talk to him about 3112? She is a VERY depressing site, considering that the owner is such a train fan...

Also, how often do you frequent the RTM? If you're on restoration and maintence I should be looking forward to working with you on the ABV or such similar projects.

It was only a brief chat to him on the tour last September, while it was stopped at Central. Though 3112 has been moved from the ARHS to an unknown site by road. I will ask the person who moved it when I see him quite soon.

Sadly, I don't get down to the museum much, due to location (Sutherland is a bit hard to travel to Thirlmere from). I'm often down there between 4 and 6 times a year, but I hope to be down there a lot more soon and move onto running maintenance (locos and rolling stock for the mainline jobs).

Though free time and restoration will have to wait until I find out the outcome of something I am working towards, and will find out after the middle of next month.....or sooner, hopefully

Edited by 69843

• 4 weeks later...

While I refuse to debate on Dorrigo, I think I may have found something to pacify our Horse for the time being:

http://rusted2therails.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/r766-standard-gauge-r-class.html

Can anyone familiar with Victorian Railways broad gauge locomotives explain to me why the buffers have a chunk missing out of them. They seem to be the only locos with this feature as no other railway which has buffers seems to break the metal.

Just to make a point: The interview on 2GB was full of many errors and omissions. Knowing the person who helped prepare the statement, he was none-to-pleased

As they say, don't trust politicians ! Now I didn't realise after listening to Gladys Berejiklian that 3801 was in Germany, I thought it was just a boiler...!  Maybe her name should read Gladys Buggered-up-again... :nono:

Sorry, I had to do this....:

*3801 is NOT coming home. The boiler is being bought out from Germany to have the work finalised in Australia, and is something that has been talked on for a while. It has not just been a ‘off the cuff’ decision

*3801 not only travelled to Perth in 1988, but to Canberra, Brisbane and Melbourne, as well as Adelaide when returning from Perth

*3801 has only been to Melbourne a few times in her history

*FS Cars were not the only cars used with 3801 in preservation.

*3801 rarely has exceeded 120kph in preservation. Indeed, she is listed in the ARTC rolling stock data as being only able to do a max of 115kph, and only 40kph in reverse

*The tendering of the new welded boiler for 3801 was not given to DB Meningen to save cost. The workshops had a proven track record in boiler construction, including Tornado’s welded Diagram 118A boiler

*3801 has always been in Sydney since the start of the overhaul in 2009. Indeed, she is still sitting in the former bogie maintenance shed at Chullora where she has always been

*As of the time of writing, Transport Heritage NSW has not bought together the heritage sector. Although I am fully aware that this is changing, to have well over a year go by with not much visible progress is a bit sad. Hopefully the 2015 Festival of Steam can show that this is starting to happen, with locomotives from 3 organisations coming together in the one location (2705, 3265^ and 3642 from THNSW, 5917 from the LVR and 3016T and 6029 from Canberra ARHS)

*3830^ at the time of the report was, and still is, down at Thirlmere

Information from various sources, and personal knowledge. Two sites used were

http://www.3801.com.au/

http://www.artc.com.au/library/gi_10_loco_rs_data.pdf (page 15/18)

^3265 is, as reported earlier, now under THNSW with 3830

Edited by 69843

*3801 rarely has exceeded 120kph in preservation. Indeed, she is listed in the ARTC rolling stock data as being only able to do a max of 115kph, and only 40kph in reverse.

Both speeds are abitrary limits. The 40kph when running tender first is because the driver is now on the wrong side to sight signals, and the view when looking past the tender is very poor.

01 is quite capable of exceeding 120kph and has done so on a number of occasions when I was working her. More than once it was a thought to be good idea for the Hasler tape to be "misplaced" after a trip to avoid any awkward questions being asked.

One trip in particular I remember very well. We had gone to Queanbeyan on a joint outing with the RTM ,and we'd lost a lot of time on the return to Goulburn with 3642. At Goulburn we picked up the 38, crewed by two enginemen well known for their skills on the footplate. After a very brief discussion they agreed to have a go and try to make up some time on the run home. And have a go is exactly what they did. By the time we sailed into Sydney Terminal we were only 10 minutes down on the table after a stellar performance by both engine and crew. And the fireman had put his last big fire on around Turella. By the time we reached town it had burned down to almost nothing, all she needed to get back to Eveleigh was a few light fires under the door and in the back corners. When we had put the cars way and were knocking the fire there was barely anything left in her to get rid of. Happy days!

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Like 2

When 3801 went to AusSteam '88, I was on the broad gauge train (hauled by R761) which paced it from Albury to Melbourne. For long stretches both trains exceeded 130km/h. By multiple stopwatches on board, the kilometre pegs were passing about every 27 seconds.

The 40km/h limit running tender first is arbitrary even for tender first working. Victorian steam locos are allowed 50km/h tender first, as are the 3rd series X and C class when running long end leading.

3801 was actually one of the worst performers in the class. 3830 had always been the best performer. On fan trip to Goulburn with 3830 in early 1964, the speed limit was officially lifted to "whatever the driver considers to be reasonably safe". The driver on the day was Jack Sparkes so use your imagination. It was timed at over 90mph near Marulan. 3830 was to have been used on the Newcastle speed run and there was going to be an attempt to officially reach 100mph as well as doing the run in under 2 hours, but NSWGR insisted on 3801 being used.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That brings back memories of the old Rockhampton Mail.

My grandfather got ill (heart attack) on the way from Brisbane to Rocky on the Mail in the late '60s, and had to be taken off at Maryborough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to Thirlmere to their so called 'enthusiasts' day to film 6029 working hard upgrade into Thirlmere. Well what a huge disappointment know doubt due to ARTC operating procedures. One bloke had a large recorder to record the sounds of the Garratt. He said to me as I walked back to my car, "What a bloody waste of time coming down here was" and I totally agreed with him. She was towed to Thirlmere with the former 42203 doing all the work. 6029 was then put on display as was 3265. 3642 was in the roundhouse in steam and 3237 was out the back of the roundhouse. 3016 and 2705 were working the loop line. As I had to work early in the morning I was unable to see 6029 on the mainline leading the short train.

What I find odd is that diesels on the back of a steam hauled train can push the train up a hill so why didn't 6029 push the 6 coaches and 2 diesels up the grade to Thirmere.

I won't bother going next year. The British KNOW how to have an enthusiast day.

Edited by faulcon1