Chatham Show moves to Gillingham

David C

I went on Sunday. It was a decent enough local show but there was absolutely no wow factor, so no comparison with last century's shows in the Ropeworks. I spent some time trainspotting at Mostyn and there were a couple of nice Southern Electric layouts but didn't spend more than a minute in front of anything else. Personally, the Chatham show has been comfortably overtaken by both Epsom and Tonbridge.

I had no problems with parking the bike and didn't partake of the refreshments.

Bill

I didn't have problem parking although I did think the bays were rather too small. I did notice that there was an overspill parking site on a field though. I didn't try the catering and I disagree with 'BBishop' about the show being just another local show, it's clearly better than that, and it could become, if developed properly, one of the major finescale attractions of the year.

A few photos of 'Mostyn'.

post-5728-0-67796600-1371483365.jpg

post-5728-0-18666000-1371483390.jpg

post-5728-0-03591500-1371483409.jpg

post-5728-0-88112700-1371483433.jpg

post-5728-0-41430100-1371483461.jpg

post-5728-0-15687600-1371483517.jpg

Sorry that these shots aren't quite in focus ... and I don't understand why I have an attached thumbnail which duplicates one of the pictures!

Regards

post-5728-0-59015700-1371483488.jpg

Though my heart misses the idiosyncrasies of the old dockyard venue, my head tells me the Chatham club have found themselves a fantastic new venue, once a few comparatively minor wrinkles have been smoothed out. The biggest problem from the public point of view was clearly the inadequate catering, the sports centre clearly not understanding what kind of quality & quantity would be required by a horde of hungry railway modellers.. I'm sure lessons have been learned & that next year they'll be a bit better prepared.. 

I admire your confidence but previous experience with these types of venue suggests otherwise. It may take many years as they do not seem to believe what they are told.

Beats me how you can make a judgement on anything in that time.

That's because they were either layouts representing a certain other railway (which I never look at under any circumstance) or layouts that I had seen several times in the past. The latter included Mike Walshaw's layout, Chatham Dock, Brookfield. As I said, typical of a local show. I've seen Mostyn many times, but it's always worth another viewing and is a stand out layout at any exhibition.

Tonbridge had Bradfield and Newhaven; Epsom had Rolvenden, Oldham King Street and New Mere (Chris gave me due warning of certain nasties).

But of course this is only my opinion.

Bill

I won't apologise for the fact we use the Metcalfe Brewey on Dudley Frey!

I wouldn't either, the use of the model seemed appropriate on both layouts. I have no objection to using kits...it would take too long to produce anything without them.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my posting...it's just that I only spotted two of the claimed five Metcalfe brewery's and it seems like a good game. Perhaps we should play spot the XXXX at every show. Perhaps it would encourage people to dwell a little longer at layout and see more than just the trains?

bTW did anyone get pictures of the other Metcalfe Brewerys?

• RMweb Gold

That's because they were either layouts representing a certain other railway (which I never look at under any circumstance)

I have to say I think you are short-changing yourself with that attitude. Choice of prototype is immaterial to quality of modelling, so a first-rate model of Company A, which you don't like, may be substantially better than a half-baked model of Company B, whose works you revere.

Hopefully we learn from others. You are limiting your own curriculum.

bTW did anyone get pictures of the other Metcalfe Brewerys?

I got pics of two of them on two of the N gauge layouts (and there were at least three on OO/4mm layouts) but I've not been able to upload them.

G.

I have to say I think you are short-changing yourself with that attitude. Choice of prototype is immaterial to quality of modelling, so a first-rate model of Company A, which you don't like, may be substantially better than a half-baked model of Company B, whose works you revere.

Hopefully we learn from others. You are limiting your own curriculum.

hmmm...the minute (or less) that he devoted to several layouts at the exhibition was a damn sight longer than the time I spent reading his review Ian.

Dave

Archived