RMweb

Class 37 Photos...

Hi all,

Where are all the photos of the Coal Sector livery ones?

Please post some....

Thanks

A couple in coal...

37 278 in Leeds ( Wortley )

post-9437-0-45612800-1389135034.jpg

and 37229 on shed

post-9437-0-67755300-1389135093.jpg

SGJ

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Here are two from me, both dating from 1974.

post-7291-0-50019100-1389202436_thumb.jpg

First we have 37 268 at the erstwhile stabling point at Liverpool Street, I think in April/May.

post-7291-0-95078700-1389202449_thumb.jpg

And second is this fine pair at Newport Ebbw Junction in June. As a bonus, Falcon was on shed that day, undergoing repair.

• Like 8

Here are two from me, both dating from 1974.

attachicon.gif002622LR.jpg

And second is this fine pair at Newport Ebbw Junction in June. As a bonus, Falcon was on shed that day, undergoing repair.

The attachment is interesting on 37188, is the light a headlight, or is it a beacon ( like some knottingley 56s that had orange lights fitted )

The attachment is interesting on 37188, is the light a headlight, or is it a beacon ( like some knottingley 56s that had orange lights fitted )

That is a headlight.

A number of the Landore allocated 37s had them for working over the Central Wales Line to Craven Arms,

I think they were all boiler fitted 37s,

edit - I don't think they carried them all the time, rather they had mounting brackets that they could be fitted to.

The class 120 DMUs outbased at Swansea for working over the route were also headlight fitted. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that these were effectively the forerunners of high intensity headlights and they were fitted for use on some of the more remote reaches of the system, i.e. colliery sidings. I'm sure there will be afficianados who will confirm or correct this.

EDIT: As predicted, I already stand corrected. :)

Edited by Trevellan

It's a headlamp (actually a car headlamp, as fitted to a Mini-Cooper, I was told) that were fitted to some 68ers (as we called them then), along with some Swindon Cross-Country units and 204hp shunters. This was in conjunction with working over the Central Wales Line, which had a lot of ungated crossings; the locos would work as far as Llandovery with pick-up freights and engineering works. I'm not sure if they were all boiler-fitted, as the only loco-hauled passenger services were the ones to the Royal Welsh Show in mid-summer. Landore did have a pool of boiler-fitted Type 3s, but they were mainly for Swansea- Milford services.

It's hard to imagine these days, but diesels in the late 1960s had only the faintest of lighting- the difference between normal and headlight fitted locos was that, from the platform end at Llanelli, you only saw the former when they passed the Inner Home, whereas the latter could be seen passing the bridge between Trostre and Machynys.

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that these were effectively the forerunners of high intensity headlights and they were fitted for use on some of the more remote reaches of the system, i.e. colliery sidings. I'm sure there will be afficianados who will confirm or correct this.

EDIT: As predicted, I already stand corrected. :)

They were fairly standard car accessory shop supplementary lights (of the spot as opposed to the fog variety) and weren't exactly 'high intensity' as the aim was basically to as much tomake the train more visible as to light the line ahead. 

They were fairly standard car accessory shop supplementary lights (of the spot as opposed to the fog variety) and weren't exactly 'high intensity' as the aim was basically to as much tomake the train more visible as to light the line ahead. 

Were the lights battery powered or did the locos have a " plug socket / external electric connection " ( i am presuming battery powered ).

SGJ

Were the lights battery powered or did the locos have a " plug socket / external electric connection " ( i am presuming battery powered ).

SGJ

I'm not sure where you'd mount the battery (there's nothing visible near the fitting), so I presume they'd have had a feed from inside the nose somewhere. Given the Llandovery round-trip might be six hours, I don't think they'd have relied on the car batteries of the time..

• RMweb Gold

Here's a couple more while I'm in the mood for editing.

post-7291-0-60662300-1389205572_thumb.jpg

37 027 is captured leaving Audley End with an up service on a cold and sunny New Year's Eve, 1979. I cocked up the timing of this shot - I should have got the nice banner repeater or the box, but not bits of both. :rolleyes:

post-7291-0-54458900-1389205582.jpg

Around four months later, in April 1980, 37 035 is seen passing Hoddesdon with an up service. I was on the right side of the fence, by the way, but this view is impossible now because of the proliferation of vegetation.

• Like 7

Has anyone come across Wipac lighting modules on DRS 37s, equipped with white LED technology marker lights?

I've been researching photos prior to installing some LEDs in the above and I've come across occasional photos that

may indicate a change from the typical yellow conventional bulb types.....or might just be due to over-saturated camera sensors.

All help gratefully received!

Martin

Hi all,

Where are all the photos of the Coal Sector livery ones?

Please post some....

Thanks

Hi, here are a couple, though sadly not on coal duties....

049 at Newport and 698 running light through Cardiff Central

Scanned from my old slides - sorry, haven't got the dates to hand

Marc

post-2973-0-60938200-1389692271_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-05006000-1389692277_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely, and bring back so many memories from that area.

I stayed in a B&B near the station at Barry over 30 years ago, while working in the area. The sound of the loaded coal trains with 2x37s passing, especially after dark, meant that I rarely got much sleep.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the Sectional Appendix (I have a copy at home) stated that the headlights fitted to locos and units for use on the Central Wales line were only to be used between certain identified locations, and when negotiating named level crossings - they weren't (according to 'authority') to be used indiscriminately.

I may also have BR drawings of the lights as fitted to the Cl.03s - which I believe was a standard Lucas part.

Cue, research.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

If I remember correctly, the Sectional Appendix (I have a copy at home) stated that the headlights fitted to locos and units for use on the Central Wales line were only to be used between certain identified locations, and when negotiating named level crossings - they weren't (according to 'authority') to be used indiscriminately.

Cue, research.

Brian R

You remember correctly (but I can't list the crossings unless I look them up ;) and I think the Instruction actually said that the lights must be used approaching and passing the listed crossings).

You remember correctly (but I can't list the crossings unless I look them up ;) and I think the Instruction actually said that the lights must be used approaching and passing the listed crossings).

Evening gents, 

The 1980 Cardiff Division Sectional Appendix refers to them as "fixed beam electric headlights" and the instruction is that all multiple unit trains and locomotives were to be provided with one of these which was to be illuminated when approaching any level crossing between Craven Arms and Pantyffynon, portable "fixed beam headlights" were available at Shrewsbury, Craven Arms, Pantyffynon, Llanelli and Landore  for fitting to locos not already equipped.

Interestingly, the next instruction below this refers to Pantyffynon to Abernant and Gwaun Cae Gurwen, where headlights are required on the leading loco during darkness hours, although a Bardic lamp is permitted in case of failure of the fixed beam light.

Phil