Freemo Extravaganza

Random musing - i'm not sure whether this is a good idea or not yet, but with a thought to making the kickback look like it has a good reason to be there, what if you kept the kickback but curved it the opposite way to the lead, as if it were once-upon-a-time a wye track that's since been disconnected at the main line end?

post-6762-0-58379200-1378732489.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Another thought, if I drop the runround would the switch crew just ask the dispatcher for permission to foul the main? If so how does this work on a modular set up? Do you just look to see its clear before entering a single line section or is there a dispatching system used?

Another thought, if I drop the runround would the switch crew just ask the dispatcher for permission to foul the main? If so how does this work on a modular set up? Do you just look to see its clear before entering a single line section or is there a dispatching system used?

Probably an 'it depends' depending on how that meet is being run and whereabouts in a setup it is.

If that was part of a branch that only had one train on it anyhow then there's no point in officially clearing the main at all, if it's somewhere that there's a lot of demand for access to the main then I think that single-ended layout could be switched in the clear (albeit less efficiently) - my gut feeling would be to (regardless of prototypicality) let you switch it using the main but ask you to clear inside when we need to get something past you.

A recent narrow gauge convention in the States have posted there module run on YouTube, biggest On30 run ever apparently. I know its On30 but its the same track and a good watch. http://tinyurl.com/n646tz2

Just caught up - interesting to see on the video the various scenic treatments and the variety of stages of completion. Just goes to show that it doesn't have to be complete in every detail to be included.

Thanks for the link, Dave.

Ditto the above for Andrew's post that follows.

The mainline side probably works better, easier to have a branch on the inside of a corner than the outside and the branch now fits into the space created by both variants of the S curve better. The length of the branch now means you should be able to do most switching without using the main

On the revised plan I would put the switch to the top track to the right of the switch to bottom branch. That gives you a longer track, which looks better and a spot you can set a car over to help in switching.

• RMweb Gold

On the revised plan I would put the switch to the top track to the right of the switch to bottom branch.

Yep I agree and changed that back, as per the smaller plans, after posting it as it made both too short. As pointed out above the lead towards the 'main' is long enough to service it when standalone.

Thanks chaps most useful comments on the plan and operational aspects.

Strange how a plan manages to get itself replicated in real life - I know that yours has been adapted from its original form - but take a look at a very similar adapted set of iterations for a switching area - that Ray (Long Island Jack) and I have been involved in helping out with - that is fairly close to yours and is based on a prototype industrial switching area

http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6942&hilit=rust+street

• RMweb Gold

Yes I've been poring over Lance M and other MR plans and prototype pictures. When I first posted I wasn't happy with the loop as I felt it was too crowded but was concerned it would be too limited at a meet. Thanks for the link the photos will be very useful too.

I'll throw another one in from back home. These guys make a big camping weekend of it with modules coming from a 800km radius.

The 2013 was even bigger but nobody seems to have posted any videos as of yet.

Spoke too soon. The first vid from the 2013 has been posted up. This guy has even included the layout diagram at the beginning. For those that don't know a standard rink size is 200' by 85'

Spoke too soon. The first vid from the 2013 has been posted up. This guy has even included the layout diagram at the beginning. For those that don't know a standard rink size is 200' by 85'

I love the working windmills seen in the overview. The s curved scenic module looks good too. Hmm ideas ideas!

We'll have to go some to match that!!

I guess the loops are in place of staging yards. It would appear they just run trains from end to end without much "real" operating (but I stand to be corrected).

I know of one large, regular modular-type set-up in the UK which is mostly "run-around" (despite the opportunity for "ops"), and where two or three people have become rather fed-up with the lack of any other action.  

Brian

It does let you include 'overhead' traffic (like intermodal, or unit coal) without having to model the facilities involved - you should still be able to operate that properly and handle traffic between the modelled industries around your through trains - (you can even do that on a roundy!) - but it does require the will from the folk involved to have a go and do it! :) I think the payoffs are absolutely worth it...

It does let you include 'overhead' traffic (like intermodal, or unit coal) without having to model the facilities involved - you should still be able to operate that properly and handle traffic between the modelled industries around your through trains - (you can even do that on a roundy!) - but it does require the will from the folk involved to have a go and do it! :) I think the payoffs are absolutely worth it...

Martyn - are you suggesting we try and emulate overhead traffic? I thought we had decided to base things on secondary/short line operation with trains handling traffic between the industries.

I agree it would be good to see some long unit trains. Who is prepared to build the balloon modules though?

Martyn - are you suggesting we try and emulate overhead traffic? I thought we had decided to base things on secondary/short line operation with trains handling traffic between the industries.

No, I was just saying that's the reason why they have gone that way, not necessarily that we should, definitely not for this one unless somebody is actually building one we don't know about! :) 

I agree it would be good to see some long unit trains. Who is prepared to build the balloon modules though?

The usefulness of such a thing would be severely limited anyway, as you would rarely, if ever, have the space to set such a thing up.  A "long unit train", even of the still-compromised size run on RS Tower, would require a large and otherwise wasteful footprint for a loop.  Also, it would be running through about ten modules at the same time, stopping everything else on the RR, and would also require a track plan to return to the same spot, or worse, another huge loop at the other end. For the resources required to do such a thing, both the owners and the rest of the modular participants would quickly tire of such a beast.

The size of most people's modules still allows "overhead" traffic, but the trains still have to be short: that's the big compromise, but one which allows the excellent live ops and other stuff on individually modestly-sized boards that, when joined together, create a proper railroad.  At Western Union in Plymouth, we're now running a bespoke MoW train that will have a few dedicated tracks across the modular set-up on which to switch MoW cars.  Another plan is to run a cement train from staging to a terminus, and then just change the power to the other end and take it back to staging, simulating an operation that requires reversal - a bit like a commuter run (but push-pull makes that even easier).

Brian

Are we in a position yet to get any take on the number of people involved who would need accomodation?

I'm happy to ask around local hostelries to see if we can get deal of any sort.

Having said that, the cheapest Travelodge if booked sufficiently far ahead would take some beating!

Archived