Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Freemo Extravaganza

After a few flurries of emails over the last couple of days, i'm confident enough to share a rough plan of the modules for the event, note, things could still evolve, but it gives an idea of the scope! :sungum:

post-6762-0-05141200-1400067721_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ian

Ref the passenger, I think we've only the space to have one train at a time on the layout. The other passenger terminal (Rockwood) has a stub ended spur, so push-pull is ideal as it's nice and simple - but it would be possible to run loco hauled if it had a double ended loco set (say F40s back to back, or similar) which could then run round at Fort Myers, and turn the train on the wye (or have the Dale Yard switcher shunt release it) at the other end. I *think* Rockwood would accept 2x loco's plus 3x coaches.

If there are several folks wanting to bring passenger trains, we can swap them over during the event maybe? If there's anyone particularly wanting to run passenger stock, let me know...

We'll source some LPG cars for that, thanks for the heads up.

The Trackmobile is DCC but I see that staying in the industrial park as something to do some extra shunts in between the trip workings with, whether you need to include that in the job setup?

I think we can leave that one in the park there in case / for when it's needed, that shouldn't cause too many issues! :)

• RMweb Gold

Martyn

That plan certainly looks interesting enough to keep us busy over the weekend.

I may get some LPG cars prior to the meet as I will need some in the future but just in case I thought that its worth mentioning now.

regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I assume mine is the spur linked to the cement plant. Is the second turn another persons board or are you thinking of the alternate position for my second 45° board. Just for clarity my two freemo spec boards are both 45° curves. Don't want to knacker the plan if you thought I had three 45° sections ;)

I assume mine is the spur linked to the cement plant. Is the second turn another persons board or are you thinking of the alternate position for my second 45° board. Just for clarity my two freemo spec boards are both 45° curves. Don't want to knacker the plan if you thought I had three 45° sections ;)

Yep i'm using the alternate position for the second board, so the "main line" on it ends up an S shape - based on your plan that should put the park at a 45deg angle, as reading your plan I don't think it would fit there in the other configuration.

Sorry i'd removed the name as i'd inadvertantly called it Springfield when I drew the plan first (pop-culture brain freeze...) - and forgot to put the correct name back in! :fool:

• RMweb Gold

That's ok I was just making sure there wasn't a third one in as I don't have enough wood left ;)

Is the cement plant just using the end of the S as a spur or is there another module to go on there? I have some other buildings in the garage that could represent an industry if required.

post-6968-0-45279900-1400076694.jpg

We've a couple of folk that should have cement terminals on their modules, so, asssuming it'll fit in the transport we're planning to bring along Rockwood Cement (one of the endscenes off RS Tower) which will give us the load origin for those terminals and reduce the dependancy on things cycling through staging - it's just a small 18" square module, which the job for the industrial park can handle at the same time.

post-6762-0-14592100-1400076701.jpg

Good work - a very useful thing to have on a modular railroad.  Make sure, though, that you leave a length of straight track for the last few inches (the specification demands 6", to avoid the unintentional creation of S-curves) either end of where the track meets the baseboard edge, ie, it should be a curve with two flattened ends.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Is that the NMRA spec then as Martyn's spec says 3 inches

Quote -

"18” wide Single track module end – Width of the modular end must be 18”, a single track must be mounted centrally (track centre line 9” from either side) at 90 degrees to the modular end and must continue for 3” straight from the module end. (The 3” of straight track ensures a short straight track between opposing curves on a main line.)"

Some factors that help:

working from home with the facility to organise my own working time - no commuting or set hours frees up time;

no family ties - one grown up with his own family in the USA, the other grown up with her own family 50 miles away;

a very understanding and co-operative other half who allows me to use my own time how I want (it's reciprocal).

It doesn't always work as easily as it sounds. I'm sure we all have occasions when you just don't feel like it so you have to be "in the zone".

Is that the NMRA spec then as Martyn's spec says 3 inches

Quote -

"18” wide Single track module end – Width of the modular end must be 18”, a single track must be mounted centrally (track centre line 9” from either side) at 90 degrees to the modular end and must continue for 3” straight from the module end. (The 3” of straight track ensures a short straight track between opposing curves on a main line.)"

The RSTower spec was originally 6" as well, but experimentation led us to think it could be reduced to 3, which still give a minimum of 6" between any reverse curves on adjacent modules. Since three is a minimum, anything extra is a bonus

Indeed, my advice to Martyn is that he's got about two years to get any modelling he wants done, then it's time to hide all those breakable toys away!

Got to admit i'm already struggling a little, both for time, and i'm a bit reluctant to use some of my normal hazardous materiels (spray paint, CA) in a first floor flat with a baby...i'm working on a handful of GP38/GP38AC/GP38-2, hopefully something to show for the RPM table, and I have to admit that i'm struggling with them at the moment.

Could have got some more done last night, but I was too tired to start drilling a gazillion holes (probably a good thing, the first night I started drilling holes without thinking it through properly I started work with the bodyshell on, and drilled a hole - thankfully without doing terminal damage - into the loco's decoder! DOH!)

If I can get the basics done I may try and do some spraying at the in-laws I guess...Still hoping to do a house move when I can to somewhere that I can set up a "man cave" to reduce those issues, and also let me get stuck into building a new module!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quote from Martyn's email a while back

"Right - Freight Stock...

To give folk a heads-up to start thinking about this - Plan A will be that if you have an industry spot on your module, we will ask you to provide 2 suitable cars for each industry spot (that's just industry spots, so not yard tracks, running lines, storage tracks or whatever.) "

So 4 :)

Archived