Freemo Extravaganza

• RMweb Gold

We can use the car park this time!!!

Good job I used exterior ply then ;)

I won't be making two trips so it better fit in the car! It was designed to so not too worried . . . . .

Nick, that looks fabulous!

Couple of questions...

I've just entered the spur as a team track, is that okay?

What's the length of the runround?

Do you have a name for it yet?

We've had a couple of changes to the layout, so this is the most up to date layout plan:

post-6762-0-42835200-1403512787_thumb.jpg

Not expecting too many more changes now, the new one (marked as ?) may swap with the curve to allow the stub end to have staging cars parked on it, I need to play more with Ops but that's becoming more reliable!

Currently the ops plan has 9 workings on it, no more than 4 will be working at once (it'd get too crowded) but that still keeps 8 crew (plus a couple of admin guys, and a Dale yardmaster) busy, so about 1/3rd of the folk there should be able to be active on the layout at once, and we should be able to give you some variety in jobs as well.

Current workings are:

BRC Chicago Staging (the stub end beyond Wallingford) to Dale 

Dale to ? (Nick's new one) local turn.

Dale to BRC Chicago staging.

Dale to Lloyd local turn.

Dale to Fort Myers turn.

Lloyd to Sunnydale 1st trick switch (shoving to Sunnydale)

Lloyd to Sunnydale 2nd trick switch (shoving back from Sunnydale)

Brownville to Fort Myers turn (via Lloyd in each direction)
Passenger turn (Rockwood Depot to Fort Myers)

• RMweb Gold

Martyn

Thats looks llike a really good.

Looking forward to the weekend but dont wanti t to come too quick as still have plenty to do on Fort Myers - it will be done though!!

Just remembered that I still havent snet you a track plan.

Ian

Where do people buy the adjustable feet ot go into the bottom of the legs?

The Squires one fix to the side of the leg but I am after the ones that go in the bottom of them.

Ian

6mm Tee-nut, 50 mm M6 bolt, 1 x M6 nut per leg - all from B&Q or similar.  Run the nut onto the bolt , screw the bolt into the Tee-nut, and tighten the nut against the tee-nut to lock the bolt at the height needed. Far and away the easiest and cheapest method (apart from bits of card under the leg!)  AFAIR the tee-nut needs an 8mm hole to be fitted into - drill it 50 mm deep and the bolt will screw right in!

Ian. I got all of mine from here: http://www.bpfonline.co.uk/search.asp?catid=10408 They also do the handwheels I use instead of bolts on the layout modules. http://www.bpfonline.co.uk/search.asp?catid=3240

edit: these are the actual ones I used on Essex. http://www.bpfonline.co.uk/show_product.asp?id=2162&catid=10422

6mm Tee-nut, 80 mm M6 bolt, 1 x M6 nut per leg - all from B&Q or similar

Jack, try getting away with a metal bolt head at an exhibition where they use a rubberised or varnished gym floor. :nono:

• RMweb Gold

The Squires one fix to the side of the leg but I am after the ones that go in the bottom of them.

Ian

I bought the same side mounted feet off eBay and some M8 T nuts seperately. Took out the screw feet and put them in the T nut and mounted the wiring sockets in the U brackets so no wasted bits :)

post-6968-0-82636600-1403522382.jpg

Nick, that looks fabulous!

Couple of questions...

I've just entered the spur as a team track, is that okay?

What's the length of the runround?

Do you have a name for it yet?

Martyn:

Team track is OK - I doubt I'll get round to building any kind of industry there.

Length of runround - along the straight road, between the inside end (rail joiners) of the turnouts is 56ins so allowing for, say, 3 inch fouling point each end, 50ins.

Name: Blind River

PS: thanks for the compliment!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all

I have ordered a pack of 44 from the site Andrew C put up as they were very cheap and look quite robust, plus the T nuts.

That was cheaper than ordereing just the 12 that I needed plus 2 spare.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

No pics today but hopefully some of the two actual freemo boards tomorrow in near finished state. Had them outside this afternoon laying the roadbed so track and ballast tomorrow! Wiring bus in place.

Now watch the rain pour !!!! ;)

I've just had to relay a length of track as the board fell off the trestle and the end hit the patio and sheared about 6 inches of track from the sleepers... and that is despite having soldered the rail ends to PCB which was pinned to the board.

I just hope it will still match the other board as the original was laid across the joint and then cut.

Fingers crossed.

Here is a video of the first run on the Blind River module.

I was getting a short and I tried everything until I remembered I had done what I always do when using live frog pooints - forgot to slice through the rail just after the frog to isolate it.

http://youtu.be/XiYO-3Z3WWc

BTW - that IS a duck at the end of the garden pinching the bird food!

Quick post - with just over a week to go it's all looking good!

For those who've signed up there'll be a joining email coming out over the weekend with times and some more info on various things, so look out for that!

If there is anyone additional who hasn't contacted us yet and is planning to turn up, can you send Nick (Northpoint) a PM so that we know to look out for you. Thanks! :)

If there is anyone additional who hasn't contacted us yet and is planning to turn up, can you send Nick (Northpoint) a PM so that we know to look out for you. Thanks! :)

Re Martyn's post - I need names, plus any partners, friends, etc who will be with you, for insurance purposes so please let me know if you do plan to come.

Archived