The Waverley Route revisited!

bigwordsmith

Yikes! He's changed the name of the topic again!

Yes indeed folks - as part of the continued leg recuperation I re-read a couple of the books I have on Waverley Route, and decided that by far the best thing to do is model the busy-ness of Waverley ( East) at one end of the room and the barren-ness of Riccarton Junction at the other.

One reason is that SWMBO has stopped reminding me that part of the loft was supposed to be for storing family stuff, such as outside chair cushions in the winter and so on. So I'm thinking that as it's been a while since she said anything,  I can covertly take over a bit more of the space.

The other reason is that it struck me - Gilbert please don't laugh - as I was cleaning up and de-soldering the nine recycled H&M point motors ( yes 9) that will drive the junction for the West End of the station, that operating this beast could be a bit of a task for one person, so a spot of simplification is in order.

Riccarton Junction offers some terrific scenic opportunities, not to mention the fact that the station was on a huge sweeping curve, as well as a pretty stiff gradient, so I could put it at the far end of the room and effectively make it a near semi circle. So this is the latest plan:

post-10395-0-92424800-1434355671_thumb.jpg

Those who scan the detail will notice that here has been much simplification.

The West End of Waverley, despite having 9 point motors, is now effectively managed by 2 double slips, 1 facing crossing and three turnouts and offers access to all the station lines direct to the engine shed and carriages. I worked out that the chance of wanting to run a light engine movement down the loop lines behind Waverley to Riccarton was so small that the tidiness of this arrangement would outweigh that need. Locos can go down the Up loop if necessary, so as to run down the hill wrong way and couple up at the front of a train needing a pilot.

I've now finished building the two loop roads as far as the bend in the wall (shown in dotted blue) and they are a very smart 1 in 60. I tried the Ghost train on it late last night - hence the lack of pics as the light was poor. I'm pleased to report that the P2 started 9 Ian Kirk Gresleys without a hitch.

The only other locos I have out of the box at the moment are a Diesel shunter and an A1, which I've been using for checking track alignments as the Diesel will go anywhere without falling off and the A1 is so afraid of any rough track it falls off at the sight of its own reflection, let alone a 3-way point!

Given my past experience with Bachmann Peppercorns, I doubt it will even be worth backing it down to the train.

But still, it does seem like a fun break, backing locos down to a 9-coacher to see which ones have real pulling power....

No! No! Must get on with wiring up all those points!

But then I'm waiting for an H&M flash switch unit which I bought on Ebay to arrive and until it does I can't wire anything up....

Ooh the temptation.....

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

I like the look of the simplified plan. I particularly like the fact that the full route is twice around the room, so even if you leave something running round and round it's quite some time before it comes back!

One question though... is that a double crossover under the hills at the top of the plan, or is Ricarton Junction at a different level from the fiddle yard? I assume the latter as the former would need some nice electronics to prevent the possibility of some nasty accidents out of sight. Only reason I ask is that you've labelled the fiddle yard as datum, but not anything else. So my assumption is that the sheds and Waverley East are both also datum while Ricarton Junction is minus or plus something (I'm guessing plus as that would make it easier to get the hills up over the fiddle yard without big cliffs).

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

I do like a new plan. I have visted Waverley quite a few times (sadly not in steam days) but I was never fortunate enough to do 'The Waverley' . It is a line I would dearly love to see replicated in part and here we are!

Well done Smiffy and cushions are easily stacked under layouts......

Quackers.

Hi Guys

So yes Neil,  the plan does show a double junction apparently beneath a mountain  - but in fact if you look down on it from above, you'll find it is cunningly disguised to look like a mountain  from normal viewing positions, but is actually open at the top - well that's the theory at least.

Thanks for comments Phil - I too saw Waverley as a wain and in later years as a grown up , but never in steam days - My dad commuted from there to Queen St. for over a decade!

So, if you guessed that I could't stop myself playing trains, then take a pound from the till and go home early!

THis is the bridge with various bits of wiring in the way, but showing the finished paintwork and point motors, all waiting to be wired up.

post-10395-0-96642700-1434432249.jpg

And these show the loop line rising at 1 in 60

post-10395-0-23017000-1434398237.jpg

post-10395-0-97479500-1434398253.jpg

First up I decided to try a Bachmann peppercorn and would you believe she started the Ghost train and got it up the hill with some careful driving...

Here's the loco having climbed the hill 

post-10395-0-47540800-1434398396.jpg

And the train coming nicely along astern

post-10395-0-38375600-1434398413.jpg

You can see the degree of fall to the gradient in the distance - totally prototypical

Then some 'proper' Waverley action from a Hornby A3 hauling 9 Bachmann Mk 1s ( Ex Tetleys) and my goodness are these things light footed!

post-10395-0-57682000-1434398354.jpg

Finally, not pictured, but I'm happy to report that a Hornby Brittania starts nine Bachmanns perfectly.

post-10395-0-95070700-1434398193.jpg

post-10395-0-71225400-1434398313.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 8

Yikes! He's changed the name of the topic again!

Yes indeed folks - as part of the continued leg recuperation I re-read a couple of the books I have on Waverley Route, and decided that by far the best thing to do is model the busy-ness of Waverley ( East) at one end of the room and the barren-ness of Riccarton Junction at the other.

One reason is that SWMBO has stopped reminding me that part of the loft was supposed to be for storing family stuff, such as outside chair cushions in the winter and so on. So I'm thinking that as it's been a while since she said anything,  I can covertly take over a bit more of the space.

The other reason is that it struck me - Gilbert please don't laugh - as I was cleaning up and de-soldering the nine recycled H&M point motors ( yes 9) that will drive the junction for the West End of the station, that operating this beast could be a bit of a task for one person, so a spot of simplification is in order.

Riccarton Junction offers some terrific scenic opportunities, not to mention the fact that the station was on a huge sweeping curve, as well as a pretty stiff gradient, so I could put it at the far end of the room and effectively make it a near semi circle. So this is the latest plan:

attachicon.gifWaverley loft 35.jpg

Those who scan the detail will notice that here has been much simplification.

The West End of Waverley, despite having 9 point motors, is now effectively managed by 2 double slips, 1 facing crossing and three turnouts and offers access to all the station lines direct to the engine shed and carriages. I worked out that the chance of wanting to run a light engine movement down the loop lines behind Waverley to Riccarton was so small that the tidiness of this arrangement would outweigh that need. Locos can go down the Up loop if necessary, so as to run down the hill wrong way and couple up at the front of a train needing a pilot.

I've now finished building the two loop roads as far as the bend in the wall (shown in dotted blue) and they are a very smart 1 in 60. I tried the Ghost train on it late last night - hence the lack of pics as the light was poor. I'm pleased to report that the P2 started 9 Ian Kirk Gresleys without a hitch.

The only other locos I have out of the box at the moment are a Diesel shunter and an A1, which I've been using for checking track alignments as the Diesel will go anywhere without falling off and the A1 is so afraid of any rough track it falls off at the sight of its own reflection, let alone a 3-way point!

Given my past experience with Bachmann Peppercorns, I doubt it will even be worth backing it down to the train.

But still, it does seem like a fun break, backing locos down to a 9-coacher to see which ones have real pulling power....

No! No! Must get on with wiring up all those points!

But then I'm waiting for an H&M flash switch unit which I bought on Ebay to arrive and until it does I can't wire anything up....

Ooh the temptation.....

Hi Peter

That will be some layout when it's completed.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

This outbreak of common sense is to be applauded Peter :jester:  Looks good, and I really like what you have done with the approach to the cassette spur. As to light footed Hornby A3s and A4s, it is worth checking the tender pick ups, as these can be so tight that they effectively stop the wheels turning. I did haulage checks on all of mine, and found that most needed adjustment, after which they will all haul an 11 coach rake on the level. No gradients for me of course, but with the whole train in tension on the curves to and from the fiddle yard, and no opportunity to get up speed, I reckon that there is an equivalent problem so far as drag is concerned.

Thanks Gilbert - I suppose it's one of the benefits of hitting an engineering challenge in the flesh - you realise that the simplest method id often the best.

I hadn't thought about tender pickups - I have mix of loco and tender drive A3s, by far the most chunky is an original Triang one that I super detailed thirty+years ago. that said it looks pretty naff against to day's Chinese offerings straight out of the box!

The Bachmann Peppercorns really are light footed, especially on the pony trucks which seem to be slung beneath the chassis and have only occasional contact with the track. I know that adjusting the fall plat is generally reckoned to be important, I'm also keen to be able to run them close coupled, so may have to restrict their RA!

• RMweb Premium

I know this sounds cr*p, but have you considered installing a 'driving bogie' in the leading coach. I've never tried it but I'm sure you could make a black beetle thingy look like a Gresley or MK1 with appropriate sides. That probably wouldn't help at all but you never know. No good for DCC unless you want loads of fiddling with decoders.

Quackers.

Actually Phil that's not such a bad idea, in fact a very good friend of mine many years ago did precisely that back in the days when we had a bunch of very lightfooted Airfix and early Bachmann engines. At the time the only l RTR bogie available was from the Hornby DMU model and I remember he spent ages cutting off the sides and then trying to glue on suitable parts to make it look right

It didn't half work though, we got 8 bogies up a 1 in 35!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2

So yesterday morning SWMBO announced that she was going to go down to her mother for the day to try and cheer her up, which is proving very difficult since she lost her husband in March. Last Saturday would have been their 68th wedding anniversary and at 87 she's struggling to find a reason to go on, so I don;t grudge Lizzie the time at all.

I also had a case of client apathy, with no-one around so decided to hightail it up to Waverley East and see what I could get up to!

Saturday afternoon had seen me doing a load of tidying up and relocation of stuff which meant that I effectively cleared the South side of the room so I decided to push on with the trackbed construction and here are the results:

This is looking from the East End of the room backwards and shows the length of the extra bit added yesterday - I've built and laid it, but no ballast as things may change !

post-10395-0-06186300-1435039590.jpg

This one shows the gradient change - it comes down at 1:70 from the East to a low point, and will be passing underneath the throat of Waverley East at this point - sadly hidden in a tunnel, than climbing up to Riccarton at 1:60, which will eventually stiffen to 1:50 for the final yard to clear the staircase as it returns to join the existing lines on the embankment behind the engine shed.

post-10395-0-29460000-1435039713.jpg

There's a good snake on this line - I'm presenting this as the Northern curve ex-Riccarton Junction towards Whitrope Tunnel, which was a photographer's favourite, but with the slight variation from prototype that mine is descending whereas the 12" to the foot version was climbing!

I've had to mirror image the gradients due to the layout of the room, but the idea was always to capture the spirit of the Waverley, rather than be too tied to prototype - especially as it was all lifted over 50 years ago!

I think this snaking train - albeit shot on a zoom, does that quite well.

post-10395-0-49217700-1435039890.jpg

I took a few other shots which in truth just show off the limitations of the iPhone as a camera, but I've added them in anyway...

post-10395-0-92898400-1435039944.jpg

Once all was done I hammered the Britannia with 9 Bogies over the line in both directions to make sure the track laying is OK - much of this will be a hidden section, so it needs to be flawless. 

I have to say I am hugely impressed by this loco's capability 

post-10395-0-58201900-1435040068.jpg

This is just for fun - driver's eye view of the descent to Whitrope

post-10395-0-84516600-1435039961.jpg

The next challenge - represented by this big boxes in the background is getting round the other side and back to the shed main lines - I'm not worried too much about the construction, but haven't a clue where all that wood, cardboard and polystyrene I've hoarded is going to go!

post-10395-0-46779000-1435040637.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 6

I know Phil, - it was a difficult decision as I sat with my coffee looking at the scene - do I spend time wiring up the bridges so that both mains work, thus allowing me to access the engine shed and carriage sidings, or do I press on and lay more track...

Must have taken me all of a nanosecond to decide!

Edited by bigwordsmith

• 1 month later...

No Progress on the railway to report as I've been playing with my other new toy...

post-10395-0-46792200-1438942741.jpg

Took delivery of it last Tuesday and already done 500 miles - three business trips. I really had forgotten how much fun you can have with your clothes on!

Just to remind us if how much progress I did make over the winter - here's another shot of Pepper being helpful 0 she is standing where there is now a main line, and the bit under construction with the DMU is all built in with two main lines , three carriage sidings and scenery on the other side of the room.

Sometimes it is good to look behind you and see just how far you've come 

post-10395-0-01240500-1438942815_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just had another catch up, it looks better every time you post more pics! Sadly Dunoon isnt coming along as quickly as your layout, and I am yet to post more photos on the thread, and methinks that I have been spending too much time modifying rolling stock - i have done the following - 

Removed the valancing from a Hornby A4

Repainted a Hornby A4

Made a static Dapol 4MT

Built 5 Victorian Railways wagons for a friend

Modified and detailed (mostly) an old Bachmann LMS coach which is becoming a BR Maroon coach

Putting a lay-by on the Hornby twin-tender Bittern

etc

Work on the layout - 

Relaying some track

You are getting way more actual work done than me! Good job and keep it up :)

Peter

Thanks Peter  - it always looks impressive when you catch up after a bot of absence, in reality I've hardly been up there for ages.

That said, a new arrival snuck in over the weekend:

post-10395-0-37442300-1441007365.jpg

Turns out a few of these were allocated to Kingmoor who were;t terribly impressed with them compared to a 'full size' 9F, so seconded them to  not so arduous duties, which included the odd trip out across the Waverley Route.

THis one appears to be in ex works condition - won't be long before it accumulates some grime, not to mention a proper set of front steps, some guard irons for the pony truck and proper front end pipework.

post-10395-0-76150300-1441007511.jpg

It does creep around very quietly though!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Look what purred its way into Waverley this morning courtesy of a certain highly-respected Duck of this parish!

post-10395-0-64666700-1442052068.jpg

It's a Heljan, so purring is the best description of its movement, and it weighs plenty with multiple drive, so I have no doubt will take the gradients of Waverley East in its stride!

post-10395-0-98195600-1442052078.jpg

Mr. Quackers kindly supplied it complete with all add ons, which includes a bogie level snowplough, so the next job is to pop it into the works, detail it up, find an appropriate number, and add the ploughs. I suspect it may pick up some dirt along the way - no idea when I'll get round to that, but will post completed pics when I do.

As you can see from these shots it's a quiet day for Steam in the shed, and the diseasels are spreading around

post-10395-0-23277700-1442052090.jpg

post-10395-0-43805200-1442052102.jpg

SWMBO is booked off shed on a long-distamce turn for at least one whole day next week, so no doubt I'll be up there continuing with some carpentry and electrics!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 3

As the boss is off shed at her mother's today, and I have clients all either on holiday or changing jobs so work is quiet, I grabbed a morning of playing trains. However, no trains were harmed, or indeed moved, other than to check clearances on the loop behind the main station as I built the framing for the baseboards.

So just for the record, here's the result of a little bit of work last week, plus this morning's efforts, so I now have the framing for the main station.

post-10395-0-80582600-1442236958.jpg

This one show the whole width of the room - the shed lying snugly to the left of picture.

post-10395-0-21809400-1442236968.jpg

BTW The pics do make it look a lot more wonky than it is!

IF current plans continue I'll be getting more time up stairs this week - SWMBO is being very sociable with friends and family and I have no urgent client stuff until next week, when once again I will be run off my feet

Off for a walk in the pool now then Physio, then to swap the car.

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As the boss is off shed at her mother's today, and I have clients all either on holiday or changing jobs so work is quiet, I grabbed a morning of playing trains. However, no trains were harmed, or indeed moved, other than to check clearances on the loop behind the main station as I built the framing for the baseboards.

So just for the record, here's the result of a little bit of work last week, plus this morning's efforts, so I now have the framing for the main station.

attachicon.gifIMG_1639.jpg

This one show the whole width of the room - the shed lying snugly to the left of picture.

attachicon.gifIMG_1640.jpg

BTW The pics do make it look a lot more wonky than it is!

IF current plans continue I'll be getting more time up stairs this week - SWMBO is being very sociable with friends and family and I have no urgent client stuff until next week, when once again I will be run off my feet

Off for a walk in the pool now then Physio, then to swap the car.

In true FT style I hope.........................post-2326-0-83920100-1442238240.jpg

oh hang on, you said swap not swat.....sorry.

Quackers