Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

RIP Time Team's Mick Aston

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear this news...66 is no age really. Although he had an influence on archeology through his teaching, really it will be Time Team that will be his greatest contribution...the number of people this show has encouraged into archeology must be a legacy to be proud of.

RIP Mick

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news. I enjoyed his involvement in Time Team immensely. He seemed to have a healthy disregard for authority and "celebrity" and an infectious enthusiasm. The program was never quite the same when he wasn't in it. The combination of Mick, Phil and Tony was a mix of very good TV chemistry. It is strange to think that the vast majority of people will know him through TV but to him that was really just a sideline and the real work was done elsewhere, out of the public gaze.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Ahh, what a loss.  I always had great respect for the man, and even more so when he left Time Time when they began dumbing it down, and had the guts to say so too.

An ex-work colleague who was an Archaeologist originally once worked on a TT dig, and had great respect for him and Phil - less so for some of the other, er, TV types.....

• RMweb Premium

I have been a fan of Mick for many years. Although he left Time Team, he also contributed articles to "Archaeology", the magazine of the Council for British Archaeology (of which I am a member) and his latest was on Bodmin Moor (July- August 2013). Mick's Travels had been a part of the magazine for every issue since 2006.

I shall miss him

Peter

• RMweb Gold

For many years I did not posses a televisual device, but the few times that I came into contact with one invariable the remote control would settle on a “Time Team” show. Still does!

My condolences to all.

Kev.

I loved the comment in one of the notices of his passing that he had been passionate about archaeology as a teenager, despite his school's best efforts to stop him!

My wife went to the same school (a couple of years ahead of Micky, as he was to everyone then) and said that that was undoubtedly true of the place (Oldbury Grammar, if you want to know). Sounds like failing to meet the aspirations of bright students is nothing new!

Anyway, rest in peace, Micky!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great loss to archaeology and television.  It was a pleasure just to hear him speak - an extremely knowledgeable and passionate man.  He also had a Brummie twang to boot which let Brummies like me feel that having a colloquial accent was no bar to pursuing an intellectual career.  He'll be sadly missed.

Archived