RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Here's my old jalopy.

1973 GT6. I bought it, half restored, from a guy who had run out of cash, finished the restoration and used it for six years. It never let me down once, although, one year it only covered 150 miles between MOT's.

Sold it four years ago to move abroad......one of life's regrets...ho hum!

post-2290-0-52951700-1374931803.jpg

post-2290-0-73192100-1374931853_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Mick, ISTR that you could ride a 250 solo, or unlimited with sidecar, at 16. As soon as you had passed your test you could ride anything. At least one lad at my school passed his test on his 16th birthday and rode his Bonneville straight away. Ed

When I passed my test in 1989, I was given the option of having the full motorcycle entitlement tacked on. At the time I felt biking to be so dangerous that I asked DVLA to delete it. To this day, I still refuse to ride or be pillion on a motorcycle.

When I passed my test in 1989, I was given the option of having the full motorcycle entitlement tacked on. At the time I felt biking to be so dangerous that I asked DVLA to delete it. To this day, I still refuse to ride or be pillion on a motorcycle.

Not trying to pick a fight but I take it that you are aware of the relative casualty rates of equestrian activities vs motorcycling ;).

Not trying to pick a fight but I take it that you are aware of the relative casualty rates of equestrian activities vs motorcycling ;).

At least when I'm on my horse, it's my own funeral if something goes wrong.

As a pillion, I've got no control over the excited fool driving the machine, or the other fools around me.

I was offered in 1962 an Aston Martin DB2 for the same sum as we were about to spend on our first house deposit, the furniture and the Honeymoon!  Guess which option SWMBO opted for ???

And which is worth more now!

steve

A few photos from Shildon Classic Car Show, which sadly for some reason was not as well attended as last year. However, there were still some nice cars on display and a wander round Locomotion is always pleasant!

9373281218_97572fbcbb_c.jpg

The "Sphinx" mascot on an Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane

9370525457_4bf5ba3d3b_c.jpg

The beautifully patinated steering wheel on an MG TC (might have been a TD)!

9373295888_dd7c609181_c.jpg

The back end of a Morris (I think! This is the only shot I took of it and that putative identification is from my increasingly unreliable memory!)

9373298648_56d9e2a224_c.jpg

The engine of a Dino 308GT4. Owner declined my offer to eat my picnic off it though it was cleaner than the nearby picnic tables! Fuss pot!

Enjoyable day out and lovely weather (which might explain the poor attendance as last year Shildon was preceded by several shows which were complete wash outs and this year has been unfailingly clement). Anyhoo hope for a better turnout next year.

• Like 10

With my pedant's hat on, I think that tail end shot is an Austin 7.  The spare wheel hub looks 7ish and what I can see of the rear suspension looks like the 1/4 elliptic springs and friction dampers that Stanley Edge and Sir Herbert gave their baby.

Can't help with the MG identification from the photo, but the most obvious distinguishing feature between the TC and the TD was that most (all?) TCs had classic centre lock wire wheels and most (all?) TDs had bolt on pressed steel disc wheels.  The body shapes were significantly different too, but without seeing examples of each side by side it's not something which immediately strikes the viewer.

Nice photos though.

A few photos from Shildon Classic Car Show, which sadly for some reason was not as well attended as last year. However, there were still some nice cars on display and a wander round Locomotion is always pleasant!

9373281218_97572fbcbb_c.jpg

The "Sphinx" mascot on an Armstrong Siddeley Hurricane

9370525457_4bf5ba3d3b_c.jpg

The beautifully patinated steering wheel on an MG TC (might have been a TD)!

9373295888_dd7c609181_c.jpg

The back end of a Morris (I think! This is the only shot I took of it and that putative identification is from my increasingly unreliable memory!)

9373298648_56d9e2a224_c.jpg

The engine of a Dino 308GT4. Owner declined my offer to eat my picnic off it though it was cleaner than the nearby picnic tables! Fuss pot!

Enjoyable day out and lovely weather (which might explain the poor attendance as last year Shildon was preceded by several shows which were complete wash outs and this year has been unfailingly clement). Anyhoo hope for a better turnout next year.

Splendid photos; I agree with PatB that the little saloon car is an Austin 7. I would guess at 1934 date/model. At that year the 7s and 10s received a wider body which to the self-trained car- spotting post-war yoof helped them stand out from the previous models. The 7s were fun to drive, and I thought they out-performed the 10. The 7 could carry 6 young male passengers with ease. Four inside,  and two sitting on the front of the roof , feet on the scuttle and apart so that the driver could (almost) see straight ahead. A larger version, to which I also had access, had been successfully converted to run on TVO. Happy days, salad days, ended only by the passing of years and introduction of the MoT Test.

Edited by Peter Bedding

Has anyone got a photo (or point me to one) of a "Fraser Nash - BMW"? My cousin had one in Glasgow in the 60's that was being put back and restored for road use. It was something to do with Ecurie Ecosse, I think - but I was only 14 at the time and my memory may be playing tricks on me......

Best, Pete.

Has anyone got a photo (or point me to one) of a "Fraser Nash - BMW"? My cousin had one in Glasgow in the 60's that was being put back and restored for road use. It was something to do with Ecurie Ecosse, I think - but I was only 14 at the time and my memory may be playing tricks on me......

Best, Pete.

Sure.  How many do ya want?:D

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=frazer+nash+bmw&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ksT3UZ_DOZHNlAX8sYGgBg&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=461

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With my pedant's hat on, I think that tail end shot is an Austin 7.  The spare wheel hub looks 7ish and what I can see of the rear suspension looks like the 1/4 elliptic springs and friction dampers that Stanley Edge and Sir Herbert gave their baby.

Can't help with the MG identification from the photo, but the most obvious distinguishing feature between the TC and the TD was that most (all?) TCs had classic centre lock wire wheels and most (all?) TDs had bolt on pressed steel disc wheels.  The body shapes were significantly different too, but without seeing examples of each side by side it's not something which immediately strikes the viewer.

Nice photos though.

Def. an Austin 7, the Morris Minor 8 chassis extended out at the back to accomodate a luggage rack (optional extra?).

I finally got around to scanning a couple of the better shots from my collection from the early 80s.

Here's a rather magnificent beastie snapped in the car park at Silverstone at a VSCC meeting in 1982.

post-17123-0-44357600-1375240283_thumb.jpg

This Trojan was caught at a microcar rally later the same year.  I assume that it had the optional high compression cylinder head and straight-through exhaust :D.

post-17123-0-70202700-1375240382_thumb.jpg

As for a genuinely high performance microcar, there were a few Messerschmidt TG500s there too.

post-17123-0-80280500-1375240569_thumb.jpg

At the same event was this Peel Trident.  Only marginally bigger than the P50 that Top Gear has so much fun with but, as you can see from the rear/cockpit shot, it's nominally a 2-seater :O.

post-17123-0-24581300-1375240466_thumb.jpg

post-17123-0-45155500-1375240491_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Can anyone identify the green car to the right of the Peel?

If I remember correctly it may be a very late Bond Minicar or it could conceivably be a Reliant Rebel.

• RMweb Premium

Its not a Bond or Reliant as neither had those vents in the bottom corner of the windows. I was wondering if it was an early Japanese or perhaps German micro-car. Another possibility is an Innocenti mini.

I'm 99% certain it's not an Inni Mini as there wasn't one there (I've never seen one in the metal).  I think Innoccenti used more stylsh doorhandles anyway :D.  I don't remember much of Japanese origin or anything German that didn't look like part of an aircraft but we're talking about 30 years ago and I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday :D.

Looking around the rear wheelarch the bodywork shows signs of being very thin, basic GRP.  Bear with me and I'll see if I can find it in the background of any of the other photos ofthat day.  I think that might be it in the TG500 photo.

Edit:  I lied about the Japanese representation.  One of my photos clearly shows a Honda Z in the background.  I still  reckon the critter in question was British though.

Edited by PatB

• RMweb Premium

There is a late model Bond in the background of the Messerschmidt photo of a similar colour, but I don't think its the same car. The wheels look very Mini like so it could possibly be a kit car. 

Nice photos though.

Its a TC, the TD had the rev counter and speedo in front of the driver. All TC's had wire wheels

The picture in the link below is of my dad's TC, both he and I used the car to drive our newly married wives away from the church 30 years apart

https://plus.google.com/photos/108276737182059493519/albums/5625953284202843409/5625953591160328162?banner=pwa&pid=5625953591160328162&oid=108276737182059493519

Edited by 37114
  • Like 2