The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Fingers crossed that they make it rolling again, I would only have 4 more years of tax on the Land Rover. The annual road fund licence currently costs me 20p a mile as it only does 1,000 miles a year!

According to Wikipedia:

"As of April 1st 2014, vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1974 will be exempt from the VED (Finance Bill 2014, as set out in the 2013 Budget, 20th March 2013)."

According to Wikipedia:

"As of April 1st 2014, vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1974 will be exempt from the VED (Finance Bill 2014, as set out in the 2013 Budget, 20th March 2013)."

I think this car qualifies for exemption status..

Seen staying overnight (in 2008) nearby, with proud owner polishing prior to moving off to a rally.

post-136-0-43567500-1372937202_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-50733400-1372937239_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-32824400-1372937267_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-97267700-1372937294_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I reckon that most of the ecological harm is done in the construction process of a car, so owners of older vehicles have a right to expect nil VED, as they've amortised any environmental ill-effects over many decades.

• Like 3

I think this car qualifies for exemption status..

Seen staying overnight (in 2008) nearby, with proud owner polishing prior to moving off to a rally.

What is that? the bodywork is very stage coach inspired.....

Best, Pete.

That's not a Scirocco, but a Corrado. The G60 version was part of VW's attempt to introduce supercharged engines to a wider audience. They were not a commercial success, even though they worked quite well.

Pity no unusual cars: I like to see things like Ro80s, DSs, K70s....

i had the Ro 80's little sister the NSU Wankel Spyder for a while .Sweet little car but not that reliable due to crap ignition .I put in a Bosch Sports coil in the end .The Rotor seals went in the end and NSU didnt keep any spares .It turned out they were made in the UK a few miles down the road  but I didnt find out until the car was long gone .the R080 was well before its time .

What is that? the bodywork is very stage coach inspired.....

Best, Pete.

This was quite a common style of bodywork, even into the immediate post WW1 era. I think the style is known as a 'phaeton' or possibly a 'landau'; the chauffeur would be exposed to the elements in the front, whilst the passengers would be ensconced in the back, which is directly inspired by a horsedrawn coach. My grandfather was a chauffeur from his demobilisation after WW1 until the early 1950s- he used to tell me stories about driving vehicles like this, from Carmarthenshire to as far afield as Eastbourne.

This was quite a common style of bodywork, even into the immediate post WW1 era. I think the style is known as a 'phaeton' or possibly a 'landau'; the chauffeur would be exposed to the elements in the front, whilst the passengers would be ensconced in the back, which is directly inspired by a horsedrawn coach. My grandfather was a chauffeur from his demobilisation after WW1 until the early 1950s- he used to tell me stories about driving vehicles like this, from Carmarthenshire to as far afield as Eastbourne.

I understand that Brian. That one more so than most, more archaic. Do we know what make it is?

Best, Pete.

I've had a look at the original file, but the badge on the Radiator is not legible. The camera was only a 4 megapixel Olympus.

However, the front LH wheel nut SEEMS to be engraved "Wolseley" which was an early car maker. If that's so, their Bicycle background shows with the dual chain drive to each side of the rear wheels,

The wheels are wooden-spoked "Artillery" design.

I know that one of my neighbours also photographed this car. I will ask her if her photos are better than mine, (or if she asked the owner for information) and report back. 

• RMweb Premium

I've had a look at the original file, but the badge on the Radiator is not legible. The camera was only a 4 megapixel Olympus.

However, the front LH wheel nut SEEMS to be engraved "Wolseley" which was an early car maker. If that's so, their Bicycle background shows with the dual chain drive to each side of the rear wheels,

The wheels are wooden-spoked "Artillery" design.

I know that one of my neighbours also photographed this car. I will ask her if her photos are better than mine, (or if she asked the owner for information) and report back. 

Wolseley before they made bicycles started out making sheep shearing machinery, in Australia.

The bodywork would almost certainly have been manufactured by the original buyer's choice of coachbuilder, regardless of the maker of the chassis.  Could have been one of the big ones (Park-Ward, Mulliner etc.) or could have been some tiny outfit that only a dozen living people have ever heard of.  As a result it may be unique or, if not, probably owes more to the coachbuilder's house style than to Wolseley (or whoever).

• RMweb Gold

I understand that Brian. That one more so than most, more archaic. Do we know what make it is?

Best, Pete.

It would appear to be a Wolseley 12/16 Pete - there's an example with a very similar body in a museum but the big clue for cars of that era is the radiator design.

Meant to post these earlier - two more shots from the recent all Rover gathering at Gaydon, my car (ELC 941J) alongside another which by coincidence I was going to look at before I bought mine, turns out the chap who bought it was all set to do the same with mine...

DSCF2740_zpsce1750c9.jpg

DSCF2743_zps2bf5aa8f.jpg

After 'inspecting' each other's motors we decided that I'd have bought his on the spot and he'd have bought mine! The photos I was sent of 'BAN 36G' didn't inspire much confidence so I passed it over at the time, but in the flesh (and after a thorough clean up inside and out) it's a real stunner. We chatted about it and came to the conclusion we might just end up swapping interiors as I wanted a dark 'Saddletan' colour and he prefers the lighter 'Buckskin' of mine...!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

For those who might like to combine a wander around Locomotion Shildon with a few classic cars. It is Classic Car day at Shildon tomorrow, last year there must have been well in excess of a hundred classics including a couple of buses. Free in, usual Shildon attractions, looks like decent weather  (dry, warm, overcast) plus if you see a chap driving a red 1982 Porsche 924 come and say hello!

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Events/shildon_shildonclassicmotorshow.aspx

Edited by Rumblestripe

You guys might be interested in the shots I took in Malta a few years ago, some in the local classic car museum, but quite a number out on the streets:

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/E7_Del/library/Classic%20cars%20in%20Malta?sort=2&page=1

WOW!

It's 20 years since I was last in Malta and there were a good few relics out there then but I'd expected that thy'd mostly have disappeared by now. The 1600E Cortina looks fabulous, the same colour as one of the three I owned in the '80s. I wonder what the condition of the spare wheel well, sills and strut tops is like, mine rotted faster than we could weld them up.

• RMweb Premium

WOW!

It's 20 years since I was last in Malta and there were a good few relics out there then but I'd expected that thy'd mostly have disappeared by now. The 1600E Cortina looks fabulous, the same colour as one of the three I owned in the '80s. I wonder what the condition of the spare wheel well, sills and strut tops is like, mine rotted faster than we could weld them up.

The best thing about cars in Malta is they don't rust. The hot dry climate does not give rust a chance to take hold.

In the "My Dad/Uncle/brother/neighbour/some bloke I once knew had one of those" category, I spotted this near my office on Friday morning........ No rust anywhere on it.

My X reg one was never that shiny when I had it at a couple of years old! The wheels don't look very original.

.... wheels don't look very original.

They're not. They came off a Sierra. The owner was nearby and we wasted half an hour reminiscing about when these cars were contemporary. He fitted the Sierra alloys to try to improve roadholding, as he thought the original Cortina 4/5J13s were not very good at it!

I went to the Amberley Museum Autumn Vintage Vehicle show last year.  There were so many old cars there I could not possibly photograph them all so I just concentrated on the ones that were of most interest to me.  If anyone would like to have a look, here's the link :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157631819170063/

There are also some pictures of old car and buses in this collection :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157626302937214/

To enlarge a picture click on it and then click on 'open photo in new window'.

Hope that they are of interest.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if they still survive, but Kirby & West Dairy in Leicester used to have a fleet of milk floats which were antique, I'd guess 30s- 40s maybe. They were around when I was in Leicester regularly in the late 1990s but may have finally been pensioned off by now.

Update - evidently they are still around although some of the floats aren't as old as they appear, something of a retro exercise.

Edited by RANGERS