Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Looks brill Nidge. Jags have always been a "tempting secondhand buy" as Which Motoring Magazine put it nearly 40 years ago. Your experience with classic cars means you should be the ideal sensible, realistic buyer, while some of us would get stuffed by such a purchase. I hope it stays as lovely as it looks now.

Sadly didn't get a photograph of it, but a replica Allan Moffat RX7 just decided to cut out on the highway outside my place, making a fair racket as it did. By the time I grabbed my camera (about 10 seconds), they had managed to fire it back up, shaking windows as they did, and drove off.

Edit: A replica of this:

post-14921-0-46542500-1419687495_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 3

Looks brill Nidge. Jags have always been a "tempting secondhand buy" as Which Motoring Magazine put it nearly 40 years ago. Your experience with classic cars means you should be the ideal sensible, realistic buyer, while some of us would get stuffed by such a purchase. I hope it stays as lovely as it looks now.

Cheers Ian - you're probably right mate, buying something like this forty years after it was built can be a risk, but having wanted one for so long I've already done the research many times over, so knew what to look for and just as important, what to expect (there's still plenty to learn though!). The XK engine is pretty much bullet proof but when the time for a rebuild comes it's sure to be expensive. I think I got lucky with this one though because of its low ownership / mileage and general condidtion, and even luckier in a way that it doesn't appear to have been 'a Friday afternoon job' like so many of them when it was actually built. Given the amount of strikes and general absence of build quality at Browns Lane in 1973 / 74 / 75, it's a wonder that any decent Series 2 XJs arrived at dealerships fit for sale to the general public, let alone a relatively rare manual one with several other nice options ticked from the start!

I've just been down the garage to have a 'sniff' and start her up - even with the dreaded and much maligned AED 'autochoke' it always fires up first time. A lot of old XJs have had the AED replaced with a manual set up but so long as it works ok I'll keep the AED on this one. I just need to get it taxed and I'll be able to get it out and go for a proper old waft - the taxation class still needs changing over to 'historic' so I don't have to shell out for it. It was advertised as a 1974 car but as I said above it is definitely a late '73 and with a letter of proof from Jaguar Heritage showing the actual build date it should be a doddle to change it over.

post-7638-0-45327800-1419691222.jpg

• Like 7

'Out with the old and in with the new'.... I sold the Rover P5B Coupe a couple of weeks ago in order to scratch a long held Jag 'itch', resulting in the purchase of this '70s 'big cat' - a 1973 Series 2 short wheelbase XJ6 4.2 manual / overdrive.....

Oh my God, he's turning into "Arfur" Daley....

Oh my God, he's turning into "Arfur" Daley....

''Oh my good Gawd, Terrrrryyyyy....!!!"

Her indoors sends her regards, know what I mean. Now then squire, can I interest you in two dozen smoke damaged fire alarms? A mere pony to you my son, and I'll throw in some used batteries :smoke:

• Like 1

Thought I'd give the old Rover a run today and took it shopping, guess what while in a queue of traffic waiting to park the car behind flashed a lady who was waiting to reverse out of a parking space who with out looking around reversed out straight into the Rovers wing. Stupid sod "Oh I didn't see you I thought because the other lady flashed me it was OK to back out" followed by the obligatory silly giggle. Lucky it was low speed and should pull out but who needs that sort of hassle just before Christmas

Good news the Rover is booked in on the 5th of Jan to have the damage done on the wing the insurance have given the OK  for a local classic friendly body works to do it, I know the garage owner and he's rebuilt a few old cars so I know he knows what he's doing.

• Like 4

Back to Jags!  Always wanted a Jaguar so when the X Type appeared we bought a S/H 2002 with the bigger engine.  AWD was a sell here in Washington State and it only had 12K on the clock.  Latterly we found out why it was turned in so soon - just about everything went wrong that could go wrong.  Luckily we had extended repair policy and after replacing a lot of expensive bits, the car performed admirably for ten years.  Then a computer went  and cost 2K to fix followed by a transmission problem that the dealer estimated at 6K.  So we donated it to the cats and dogs home for a tax break and bought an Acura TL..

Some say the X Type was not considered a 'proper Jaguar' but when it was good, it was very, very good.

Happy New Year

Brian.

• Like 1

it wasnt it was a Mondeo in a posh frock to coin a frase "all fur coat and no nickers !

I had a 2.0D X type as a company car for four years. I had always wanted a Jag but ended up hating this car - would never go near another Jag!

Dave

I had a 2.0D X type as a company car for four years. I had always wanted a Jag but ended up hating this car - would never go near another Jag!

Wasn't the X type really a Ford Mondeo in drag?

• RMweb Premium

These days most cars are platform cars (including some seriously expensive ones from Bentley and RR). If done well the concept works, but it is annoying when you get in a car and it's shared DNA with cars a lot cheaper is quite obvious. We had an Audi A1 which is essentially a VW Polo/Skoda Fabia/SeatLeon in an expensive suit and despite being fully aware of its platform underpinnings thought it was an excellent car. That said, there is no escaping the fact that you are basically paying a large premium for nicer cabin plastics.

• RMweb Premium

When we replaced the A1 we got my wife a VW Golf, initially we looked at the Audi A3 but the local Audi dealer subjected us to probably the most demeaning retail experience of my life and we walked out. Had a look at the Golf and bought a 1.4TSI with DSG box which is an incredibly accomplished car. The 1.4 turbo with cylinder de-activation and DSG is not that far behind the TDI and is quite warm in terms of performance, the DSG gear box is outstanding. Sorry for talking modern cars.

On older cars I'd still love a Citroen DS, I'd also love a Lancia Monte Carlo which is probably far from being a sensible car to want but I always remember as a boy thinking what a glorious looking car it was. A quirky one I'd like is a Subaru SVX, the coupe they made a few years ago which was expensive in its day but a very interesting car.

• Like 1