RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised to learn that somebody created a twin-turbo SD1, using the V8 as a basis....!

Are there any lesser engined SD1s left?

Seen this happen with Rootes group cars, I had a Sunbeam, most survivors are now 1600 or 2200, any decent 1l are used as body shell donors for the real engines.

had the joy of seening the shortend sd1 that was used in rallying now that was a beast petty i havent got the pics and sounded awsome flat out across the cheviot army ranges 

Shortened? Really? Saw Pondy in the works SD1 a number of times & the shell looked standard to me. Any more info on the short cars anywhere?

Actually it was a good engine by all accounts but as it was only used in the SD1 and Range Rover spares became a problem.

Perkins diesel, wasn't it? Pity they never got around to plumbing in a turbocharger for it. It might have made a TD SD1 an early executive fleet hit.

• RMweb Premium

Perkins diesel, wasn't it? Pity they never got around to plumbing in a turbocharger for it. It might have made a TD SD1 an early executive fleet hit.

It wasn't a Perkins and it was turbocharged, it was made by an Italian company called VM. The problems with it were mostly due to poor maintenance. The engines had aluminium heads and if not properly maintained suffered corrosion problems, think Hillman Imp. Cylinder head warping was a particular problem mitigated somewhat by each of the four cylinders having its own head that could be removed without disturbing the others. The biggest problem would be spares, there aren't any unless you want to order them from Italy.

Shortened? Really? Saw Pondy in the works SD1 a number of times & the shell looked standard to me. Any more info on the short cars anywhere?

it wasn't a works car it was a private engineering job  shortened and lightened lots of fiberglass panels think it was chopped behind the front doors turning it into a three door coupe  ran in the BTRDA tarmac championship mid eighties just cant remember the drivers name

did see it in action on the cheviots rally on the Army ranges around newcastle  and it was a spectacular sight especially after it met with an errant dear   at full chat !

it wasn't a works car it was a private engineering job  shortened and lightened lots of fiberglass panels think it was chopped behind the front doors turning it into a three door coupe  ran in the BTRDA tarmac championship mid eighties just cant remember the drivers name

That sounds tremendous, would loved to have seen it!

There is a photoshopped chopped SD1 here http://s791.photobucket.com/user/y282pics/media/Picture5-11.png.html 2

Can I ask you experts about my daughter's Eos?

Yesterday she collected her 8 year old from school but on the way home there was a very scarey bang and the entire glass roof fell in about them.

Is that a common issue with such a roof; the car is about 8 years old? They are now starting an insurance claim.

My son had a Porsche 911 variant (933?) some years back with a large sliding electric glass roof that frequently gave expensive trouble resealing and jamming due to body flexing causing mis-alignment. But the glass panel never actually shattered.

Remembering that Porsche, I have to admit to misgivings when daughter and husband with two excited grandsons first demonstrated the fold away top of their Eos to us.

dhig

There is a photoshopped chopped SD1 here http://s791.photobucket.com/user/y282pics/media/Picture5-11.png.html 2

Can I ask you experts about my daughter's Eos?

Yesterday she collected her 8 year old from school but on the way home there was a very scarey bang and the entire glass roof fell in about them.

Is that a common issue with such a roof; the car is about 8 years old? They are now starting an insurance claim.

My son had a Porsche 911 variant (933?) some years back with a large sliding electric glass roof that frequently gave expensive trouble resealing and jamming due to body flexing causing mis-alignment. But the glass panel never actually shattered.

Remembering that Porsche, I have to admit to misgivings when daughter and husband with two excited grandsons first demonstrated the fold away top of their Eos to us.

dhig

wasnt there also a kit car that shortened an sd1 and chopped the roof off to end up looking close to a ferarri daytona convertable possibly whats in the pic ? was aroud the same time as the body kit to change a datsun 240z into a ferrari 250gto replica but that one ended up in legal action iirc

I wish you well with the claim. Panoramic roofs (reef?) are specifically excluded from some policies.

Ed

Yes, but I do wonder if that's because they represent a staggeringly expensive and tempting target for scrotes with bricks rather than because they can be reasonably expected to self detonate.

That looks just like a Manta GTE!

Can't help with the roof I'm aftraid, I've even avoided glass sunroofs whenever I can.

closer to a monza gte now there was a monster tarmac rally car !https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=947&q=monza+gse+rally+&oq=monza+gse+rally+&gs_l=img.12...2713.23202.0.25407.30.16.7.7.2.0.229.1304.14j1j1.16.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..9.21.1245.I6sUWn6iFV4#imgrc=dibKTd3Yoj3CjM%3A

• Like 3

Did think of a Monza, but the B pillar & rear window profile just look slightly more Manta hatchback to me! I'd have loved to see a Monza in action too, the Manta's were impressive enough!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

not sure could be VM but it was turbo

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but I do wonder if that's because they represent a staggeringly expensive and tempting target for scrotes with bricks rather than because they can be reasonably expected to self detonate.

They were notoriously easy for the scrotes to break into.

What's the correct procedure when stopped with the engine running (at traffic lights, for example) in an automatic?

• Handbrake and in Neutral, as in a manual.
  • Footbrake and in Drive.
  • Handbrake and in Drive.
  • Footbrake and in Park.
  • Handbrake and in Park.
  • Something else.

I've been told Handbrake and Drive, but that seems counter-intuitive to me, as the engine will be trying to go, the handbrake will be trying to stop it, and I could envisage tears before bedtime.

If I was stopped for any length of time, in a traffic jam for example, then I'd go with handbrake, Neutral and engine off.

Edited by Del

What's the correct procedure when stopped with the engine running (at traffic lights, for example) in an automatic?

• Handbrake and in Neutral, as in a manual.
  • Footbrake and in Drive.
  • Handbrake and in Drive.
  • Footbrake and in Park.
  • Handbrake and in Park.
  • Something else.
I've been told Handbrake and Drive, but that seems counter-intuitive to me, as the engine will be trying to go, the handbrake will be trying to stop it, and I could envisage tears before bedtime.

If I was stopped for any length of time, in a traffic jam for example, then I'd go with handbrake, Neutral and engine off.

When I had my BMW, I always waited in Neutral, with my left foot on the brake pedal. This was something I did with the Ro80 as well.

Interestingly, fellow BMW enthusiasts mostly reckoned that it was a bad idea (with the ZF 4HP22 and 4HP22EH autoboxes) to shift into Neutral when waiting, on the basis that the regular shifting in and out would lead to premature wear of the clutch packs. There were times when I used the auto shift as a manual, going 1/2/3/D and back down again. Never had a problem.

I did try the engine start-stop tactic when waiting as well. I think this is a bit of a mixed blessing, and is only really effective on normally-aspirated engines, as long as you accept that coolant circulation will stop and you may also get accelerated wear of starter motors (probably less of a problem in newer cars which are meant to be designed to take such treatment).

Anything with a turbo on it should be left running for at least 30 seconds before switching off, as the turbo bearings and vanes need time to cool, so start-stop is not much use.

Edited by Horsetan