The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

BTW, is there any consensus on when a new car becomes an old one?

Ed

According to a survey I had on classic insurance yesterday, it stated a classic is generally considered a car manufactured before 1991 or if 'especially rare or significant' it might be a later year.

• Like 1

The Aston DBS probably still exists. I bet the wonderful HA Viva in front doesn't.

Ed

No details of the DBS on DVLA vehicle check, can't make out the Viva's reg.. Only one in all the pics that comes up is the DB4 990 SPE, which is untaxed & not SORNed. Tax was due 1/12/81..!! 

The other cars could still exist if the reg numbers were transferred off, or if they were exported.....

I blagged a sit in one that was for sale in The Chequered Flag garage in London years ago. It was like lying in a bath. Gear-lever on RIGHT hand side almost in the door. Car RHD and road legal. Sadly no test drive!

steve

• Like 1

No details of the DBS on DVLA vehicle check, can't make out the Viva's reg.. Only one in all the pics that comes up is the DB4 990 SPE, which is untaxed & not SORNed. Tax was due 1/12/81..!! 

The other cars could still exist if the reg numbers were transferred off, or if they were exported.....

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the high end stuff pictured have had their plates transferred in the interviening years. I sometimes frequent the Jensen Owner's Club forum (well, a boy can dream can't he?) and the number of Interceptors and FFs which have changed reg' numbers in their lifetime is amazing. A large number of them were bought new by extremely well off types who'd have their own personal plate on them, then they'd keep the reg' when they sold the cars on.

Back in 2006 my mate went down to a classic car dealer's gaff in Bristol to have a look at an MGB GT, I went along (mostly to egg him on into buying something) and while we waited for the car to be brought out we had a mooch around and sat in a beautiful F reg'd burgundy coloured Aston DBS, it was gynormous inside, I could barely see over the steering wheel! The asking price was around the £30k mark, if the same car were up for sale today it would be nearer £90k. For a few short minutes we sat there daydreaming about being Roger Moore in 'The Persuaders' or George Lazenby in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'... for me this is exactly what these sort of cars are all about, they give you a taste of a different kind of life altogether. If I added up all the money I've spent on Minis over the years I could have probably bought one by now...!

• Like 2

I got a set of plates made up yonks ago for a trailer to be pulled by my then moggy. They had the rasied plastic numbers (just like that heraldy thing), but I can't remember if the edge was rasied. The local motor factors did them and they still have the lettering on their we make these plates up display. Try googleing AT Johnson Downham Market, and see if they still do them.....

Andy G

Thanks Andy I'll give it a try... ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the high end stuff pictured have had their plates transferred in the interviening years. I sometimes frequent the Jensen Owner's Club forum (well, a boy can dream can't he?) and the number of Interceptors and FFs which have changed reg' numbers in their lifetime is amazing. A large number of them were bought new by extremely well off types who'd have their own personal plate on them, then they'd keep the reg' when they sold the cars on.

Back in 2006 my mate went down to a classic car dealer's gaff in Bristol to have a look at an MGB GT, I went along (mostly to egg him on into buying something) and while we waited for the car to be brought out we had a mooch around and sat in a beautiful F reg'd burgundy coloured Aston DBS, it was gynormous inside, I could barely see over the steering wheel! The asking price was around the £30k mark, if the same car were up for sale today it would be nearer £90k. For a few short minutes we sat there daydreaming about being Roger Moore in 'The Persuaders' or George Lazenby in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'... for me this is exactly what these sort of cars are all about, they give you a taste of a different kind of life altogether. If I added up all the money I've spent on Minis over the years I could have probably bought one by now...!

And to think that, for years, the DBS was the Aston nobody wanted - lacking both the classical styling of earlier DBs and the grunty V8 of later models - and so could be had quite cheaply (by Aston standards of course).

The problem is that you can get an early 2000's SL55 AMG for 10-12 Grand. Convince me why I shouldn't, bearing in mind that I was at quali for the UK GP when these were used as Safety Cars, and you could hear the roar of the V8 above the F1 engines.

(should this be in "new cars"?)

Ed

According to a survey I had on classic insurance yesterday, it stated a classic is generally considered a car manufactured before 1991 or if 'especially rare or significant' it might be a later year.

Surely cars become old before they become classics, so when do they become old?

Surely cars become old before they become classics, so when do they become old?

Depends on how much money you have I suppose - to some people their new Audi/Merc/BMW whatever is old in a few months. To me, when the 6 year old Focus costs too much to fix, it's old.... (hopefully that won't be for at least another 6 years!)

• Like 1

As this is a topic about old cars, does that mean anything goes, as long as it's not just out of the showroom then? I was trying to get the answer to the question that Edcayton asked!

I thought the question related to the age of classics, I was obviously wrong. As to how you define an 'old' car, then to me it's the same as how long is a piece of string....

Back to those B&W kerbside 60s/70s pics:

On the opposite side of the road to the Bentley Flying Spur, isn't that a Honda S800 - one of the first Japanese cars to appear on our roads?

Wife's MX5 (that I'm not allowed anywhere near) is its present day descendent.

dhig

As this is a topic about old cars, does that mean anything goes, as long as it's not just out of the showroom then? I was trying to get the answer to the question that Edcayton asked!

As I started the thread I suppose I should give expert guidance on the subject.

Here goes:

It's any old car.

• Like 4

Back to those B&W kerbside 60s/70s pics:

On the opposite side of the road to the Bentley Flying Spur, isn't that a Honda S800 - one of the first Japanese cars to appear on our roads?

Wife's MX5 (that I'm not allowed anywhere near) is its present day descendent.

dhig

I believe Datsun were the first Japanese cars to make an appearance over here in any numbers and the MX5 isn't a descendant of the Honda. That was a strange device with a crazy engine of 600cc. Went like S*** off a shovel. Made a Spridget slow. Roller bearing crank, all alloy, brilliant engineering.  

I believe Datsun were the first Japanese cars to make an appearance over here in any numbers and the MX5 isn't a descendant of the Honda. That was a strange device with a crazy engine of 600cc. Went like S*** off a shovel. Made a Spridget slow. Roller bearing crank, all alloy, brilliant engineering.  

Honda S800 had an engine size close to 800cc...Honda also sold the N600, which was a car following the mini concept, with better engineering.

The logical descendants of the S800 surely must be the Suzuki Cappuccino, and Honda Beat?  [both were exercises to see if a sporty car could be built following the Kei rules]

IIRC, the Mazda MX5 was an attempt to hack into the US market created by the MGB...certainly {IIRC?} Mazda spent millions of dollars developing the exhaust system to emulate the sound of an MGB.

DAtsun 'could' have also knocked the MGB into a cocked hat with the Fairlady...although quite how its name would have gone down with the still-extent 'butch' british car buying public I don't know.

Nice to see an Austin 6cwt van.... I usually run mine without the bonnet badge, handy for doging parking tickets.....

Andy G

Mine was badged as a Morris, but the DVLA (was it Swansea back then?) wanted to insist on it being registered as an "Austin-Morris", I had to take it to the Local office at Luton to prove my point. The man came into the car park and said "of course it's a Morris-it's a Minor!".

I still have the trade plate in my possession. One careful owner before me, the Express Lift Company. I had her repainted in Triumph Sapphire blue, fitted wider wheels and named her Touchwood, because touch wood she'd be better than my previous car.

Ed

• Like 2