Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

It seems to vary depending on manufacturer and model. For example, a few years ago, pretty much every late 80s/early 90s Holden Commodore I saw (and that was an awful lot) seemed to have tail lamp clusters bleached white by the sun. On the other hand the plastic on even quite elderly Japanese cars seems to retain most of its colour. The lamp clusters on my own 1998 HiLux are pretty much as new despite living outdoors and unshaded for the last 12 years.

Yes, some fare better than others and you do see some cars over 20 years old with lenses that look almost as good as new.  Before I bought the Skoda in January of last year, my everyday car was a Mitsubishi Magna, which I bought new in 1991.  After almost 24 years, the rear light lenses and the plastic panel between them looked almost new but the front side lights were going cloudy and the indicators were faded (although it wasn't that noticeable as they had faded rather uniformly).  The headlight covers were glass rather than plastic, so they were as good as new.  The top of the back seat had faded badly, but the material was still intact.

• Like 1

Yes, some fare better than others and you do see some cars over 20 years old with lenses that look almost as good as new.  Before I bought the Skoda in January of last year, my everyday car was a Mitsubishi Magna, which I bought new in 1991.  After almost 24 years, the rear light lenses and the plastic panel between them looked almost new but the front side lights were going cloudy and the indicators were faded (although it wasn't that noticeable as they had faded rather uniformly).  The headlight covers were glass rather than plastic, so they were as good as new.  The top of the back seat had faded badly, but the material was still intact.

Lynne's Peugeot 307 (2001 vintage) had to have one headlight changed after about 8 years, as it looked as though it had the vehicular equivalent of a cataract. The other lasted until this year. This is in Kent, not reknowned for things being sun-bleached. My Picasso, a year older, still has the original units.

Seconded, my daughter's 04 Plate Espace failed its recent MoT for cloudy headlight 'glass' and faded indicator glass.  The vehicle had spent it life in the north east of England - probably always outside.

Ray

Well, it can't be the sunlight!

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 1

Seconded, my daughter's 04 Plate Espace failed its recent MoT for cloudy headlight 'glass' and faded indicator glass.  The vehicle had spent it life in the north east of England - probably always outside.

Ray

Perhaps failed by someone who actually enjoys motoring, and has seen one Espace too many? :stinker:

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

On the other hand the plastic on even quite elderly Japanese cars seems to retain most of its colour. The lamp clusters on my own 1998 HiLux are pretty much as new despite living outdoors and unshaded for the last 12 years.

Sorry Pat, but in my opinion, as a one-time professional driver on WA roads, no-one who admits to owning a 'Toyota' anything, has any credibility on a thread which has interests in cars or driving.

Toyota are the original 'white goods on wheels', and Australia and WA in particular, would be better without them!

The Bunker,

WA

• Like 2

Sorry Pat, but in my opinion, as a one-time professional driver on WA roads, no-one who admits to owning a 'Toyota' anything, has any credibility on a thread which has interests in cars or driving.

Toyota are the original 'white goods on wheels', and Australia and WA in particular, would be better without them!

The Bunker,

WA

Not even an 86?  And no, I don't own one.

• Like 1

Not even an 86?  And no, I don't own one.

Wolseley, I have just changed my original reply as it would upset many, but suffice to say, I had cleared purchase of a 'Lotus', then my daughter pointed out the engine maker, ( to her great delight!!),

So no,

No prisoners on this exercise!

(Can we have a list of all Oz 'Prius' drivers please?

Still in the Bunker,

PC

The Bunker,

WA

Having spent decades owning and using "interesting" vehicles and rolling projects as everyday transport. I'll take "white goods on wheels" any day of the week in a vehicle I have to rely on and haven't got the time to constantly fettle.

Having spent decades owning and using "interesting" vehicles and rolling projects as everyday transport. I'll take "white goods on wheels" any day of the week in a vehicle I have to rely on and haven't got the time to constantly fettle.

Probably why they are used by militant organisations in various conflicts. Toyota and others seem to do quite well out of these.

Supra?

Ed

A family friend used to run a 1973 Mk.1 Celica 1600ST - she sold it for a couple of hundred quid after it failed its MoT (corrosion in various places), just before it was acknowledged as a classic and its values went up. There was nothing mechanically wrong with it either.

Just about recovered from the NEC! You get a bit fed up with it after three and a half days... Despite being tucked out of the way at the back of Hall 4 we were pretty busy all weekend and had lots of positive comments on the cars, made it worth the effort. Seems to be more and more moderns (and less variety, in the main halls) creeping in every year though. I know not everyone is a fan of BL tat but it's a bit galling to see the likes of the Princess club stripped of their stand to seemingly be replaced with newish German executive saloons...

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just about recovered from the NEC! You get a bit fed up with it after three and a half days... Despite being tucked out of the way at the back of Hall 4 we were pretty busy all weekend and had lots of positive comments on the cars, made it worth the effort. Seems to be more and more moderns (and less variety, in the main halls) creeping in every year though. I know not everyone is a fan of BL tat but it's a bit galling to see the likes of the Princess club stripped of their stand to seemingly be replaced with newish German executive saloons...

Which ones?

Some Senators would be nice

• Like 1

Can we have a list of all Oz 'Prius' drivers please?

There are quite a few on our roads but for some reason (maybe I move in the wrong circles to meet such people) I only know one person who has a Prius - and his other car is a Mark II Wolseley 24/80 - now there's a strange combination for you.

• Like 1

There are quite a few on our roads but for some reason (maybe I move in the wrong circles to meet such people) I only know one person who has a Prius - and his other car is a Mark II Wolseley 24/80 - now there's a strange combination for you.

Probably bought the Prius to ease his conscious about running a polluting classic car. A bit like the Hollywood celebs who run Hummers and Prii (or what ever the plural of Prius is). The irony is that - according to a number of sources - manufacturing hybrid vehicles creates more pollution than "normal " one, thus neutralising some of their claimed environmental benefits.

Probably bought the Prius to ease his conscious about running a polluting classic car. A bit like the Hollywood celebs who run Hummers and Prii (or what ever the plural of Prius is). The irony is that - according to a number of sources - manufacturing hybrid vehicles creates more pollution than "normal " one, thus neutralising some of their claimed environmental benefits.

believe some of the metal that is used in the batteries has to cross the pacific twice  by sea to be treated in in canada all very green 

believe some of the metal that is used in the batteries has to cross the pacific twice  by sea to be treated in in canada all very green

That sort of thing happens all the time. I remember the fuss a few years ago when Scottish caught scampi went to Thailand and back for shelling.

Yes 30801

.... I remember the fuss a few years ago when Scottish caught scampi went to Thailand and back for shelling.

I need to wave the flag for Dumfries and Galloway.  The 'fuss' involved job losses.  However the situation is now reversed and the Youngs' Sea Food factory in Annan has gained a number of well deserved accolades.

Ray

• Like 2