The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Not very exotic, or exclusive. They are Peugeot 504 Coupés. Not many left now.

Believe it or not, Peugeot 504s were a Pininfarina design.

I think the later 405 was as well. The 405 is another car that you used to see all the time, but they've almost all gone - supposedly had the best-handling FWD floorpan of its contemporaries, and I'm sure everyone remembers the massive telly advert campaign with soundtrack by "Berlin".

I don't think the 504 saloon and estate were Pininfarina, just the coupe, As of course was the 406 coupe which is still on my "bucket list" just for its looks.

The 'squarer' 308GT4 design originally came from Marcello Gandini of Bertone,...

As you say they're currently the cheapest way into Ferrari ownership, for some reason, possibly because they're from the Bertone stable instead of Pininfarina, they've long been looked on as 'not a real Ferrari'. I've always liked them and given half a chance and sufficient funds I'd bag one asap. Cheapest I've seen at present is around £45k, although decent examples are usually somewhere around the £50k to £55k mark. The later Pinifarina 308s are often twice or three times that amount today!

This is the car in its current state. I thought he said it was a V8

post-21705-0-45341700-1499124882.jpg

I think son had to get a lot sorted as it had never been a reliable runner, principally around fuel supply and ignition.

The original ex Agnelli 1970 Fiat V6 Dino we traced to a High Wycombe lock up in 1990 is below.

post-21705-0-82974800-1499126994.jpg

It sat under a cover in our garage for years while son finished his studies.

Other (Byker biker) son sorted its fuel starvation and generally dodgy Iti electrics. It has twin fuel pumps pressurising a fuel gallery around the 3 Webbers within the V.

I was charged with blowing the cobwebs out every few months and delighted in its extraordinary cam chain noise as I exercised it over the north west Durham moors. It is still my favourite though I reckon it lost a lot of its hairy character in a restoration a few years back. 

dh

• Like 9

This is the car in its current state. I thought he said it was a V8

attachicon.gifyellow ferrari.jpg

I think son had to get a lot sorted as it had never been a reliable runner, principally around fuel supply and ignition.

The original ex Agnelli 1970 Fiat V6 Dino we traced to a High Wycombe lock up in 1990 is below.

attachicon.gifFiat dino.jpg

It sat under a cover in our garage for years while son finished his studies.

Other (Byker biker) son sorted its fuel starvation and generally dodgy Iti electrics. It has twin fuel pumps pressurising a fuel gallery around the 3 Webbers within the V.

I was charged with blowing the cobwebs out every few months and delighted in its extraordinary cam chain noise as I exercised it over the north west Durham moors. It is still my favourite though I reckon it lost a lot of its hairy character in a restoration a few years back. 

dh

Lovely Giallo Fly colour on the 308GT4, very nice and a change from the usual Rosso!

As for the Dino Spider, well words are surely not enough, what a beauty. I've just finished reading the Brooklands Road Test book on Dino Spiders and Coupes, high levels of 'want' are now naturally occurring round these parts! The blue 1970 Dino Coupe as featured on Wheeler Dealers is currently for sale, along with another in red, both LHD though - I don't think any where built in RHD but I could be wrong. That Dino V6 must have one of the most musical soundtracks to any small engine, equal parts mechanical thrash, induction and exhaust note blending perfectly.

Some memories for me there.  My father used to have a 1949 Jowett Javelin, which was the first car I ever drove although, as I wasn't old enough at the time, it wasn't on a public road. And I learnt to drive on an 1800, but it was a Mark I Austin rather than the Mark II Morris in the photograph.

• Like 3

Some memories for me there.  My father used to have a 1949 Jowett Javelin, which was the first car I ever drove although, as I wasn't old enough at the time...

I agree about the Javelin. In post war Britain it had little to rival it - the one model Standard Vanguard, the Singer 1500, the A40 Devon/A70 Hereford and the split screen Morris Oxford/Wolseley 4/40 - then you got into the much more expensive likes of Alvis etc. Rover hadn't yet introduced the cyclops P4; they still had their interesting free wheel knob.

I remember my dad in our 1947 Hillman Minx (firm's car) pointing out a Bristol in front, saying it cost twice as much as our house.

The red Jupiter is the interesting Jowett. With the same flat 4 engine as the Javelin, it always looked to me overbodied compared to say, the XK 120, but they were clearly high speed smooth tourers. Javelins did well on the winter Monte and the Liege-Rome-Liege; also Jowett had the 1500 class to themselves at Le Mans until the first VW Porsches arrived.

dh

• Like 2

The red Jupiter is the interesting Jowett. With the same flat 4 engine as the Javelin, it always looked to me overbodied compared to say, the XK 120, but they were clearly high speed smooth tourers. Javelins did well on the winter Monte and the Liege-Rome-Liege; also Jowett had the 1500 class to themselves at Le Mans until the first VW Porsches arrived.

I was surprised to see six Jowetts (an owners' club) on show there.

Not seen many at all in the last few years.

• Like 2

The All British Display Day at Parramatta usually has a couple of Javelins, two or three Jupiters and one or two Bradfords, sometimes a handful of earlier models too.  Incidentally, a couple of years ago I got talking to one of the Jowett Car Club members there and found out that my father's old Jowett (aside from being one of the earliest ones imported to Australia, it also had a number of non-standard features, so it was relatively easy to identify) was still in existence and in a shed a couple of miles from where we used to live, awaiting restoration.  Here are a few photos from the event in 2015:

21901517008_4dbdda664d_b.jpg

21470393123_2a7a2aecbc_b.jpg

22063781006_fd3ef5182d_b.jpg

18657582998_5726c3dba2_b.jpg

18207801616_02332c6b00_b.jpg

There were also a few of these, which you would be lucky to see outside Australia, although I think a few might have made it to New Zealand:

22064589616_1b55805bcf_b.jpg

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 12

You've never watched Flight of the Pheonix?

Works on the same principle as a model aircraft glow-plug engine.

Now you armchair video watchers - sit back and enjoy these two on # 4415

I recommend watching the 'Starting a Bolinder engine' first, 

I have a dim recollection of watching an ancient Bean lorry being started in like manner on the quayside at Peel IoM a year or so after the war

dh

• Like 1

Went to a local pub for their informal car meet and came across these which I don't think I've posted before, it was the first meet this year as the previous to were victims of the weather!

First a lovely AC 16/80 1938

post-13586-0-63385300-1499442441_thumb.jpg

An Alvis TC21/100 Mulliner Body 1955

post-13586-0-41888300-1499442576_thumb.jpg

A Bugatti Type 40 1929

post-13586-0-47440700-1499442655_thumb.jpg

MK2 Jaguar 1964

post-13586-0-45766900-1499442801_thumb.jpg

A Morgan +4 1953

post-13586-0-63969400-1499442901_thumb.jpg

and to finish this batch a Wolsley Hornet 1933

post-13586-0-29508100-1499442965_thumb.jpg

More to follow, it' time for a couple of pre supper beers!

• Like 10

It seems we are also about to see an (electric) update of the classic Morgan 3 wheeler.on the road. It ought to have sparks crackling around it in true spartan Malvern style

A lot of Wolsely Hornets (#5367) used to have very purposeful cycle type mudguards that turned with the front wheels.

Were Hornets pre-Nuffield Wolselys ?

dh

• Like 2

A lot of Wolsely Hornets (#5367) used to have very purposeful cycle type mudguards that turned with the front wheels.

Were Hornets pre-Nuffield Wolselys ?

dh

The Hornet was a post-Nuffield Wolseley.  At the time William Morris bought Wolseley in 1927, work started on a new 8hp car, code named the Wolseley B4 which, in 1928, was released as the Morris Minor.  The Hornet was introduced in April of 1930 and had a six cylinder (1271cc) version of the Minor's four.  The chassis of the Hornet also was based on that of the Minor, albeit with deeper side members and the bodywork resembled that on the Minor.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Andrew Clausager's book, "Wolseley, a Very British Car" you will find everything you will probably ever want to know about the Hornet and the Wasp in chapter 11.

Well, maybe these cars weren’t too old when these photos were taken, but they would be now if they are still around, so they might be of interest.  Here are a few photographs my father took in 1958 or 1959, not long after we arrived in Australia:

26634696832_45b8c36598_b.jpg

Circular Quay East in Sydney

27896152032_0151f7156c_b.jpg

A Shop fire in Norton Street, Leichhardt, in Sydney’s inner west

27896142462_42f3ec650f_b.jpg

Wynyard Station George Street entrance, Sydney CBD

27896161402_98c8748ef7_b.jpg

Corner of Oxford Street and Wentworth Avenue, East Sydney

27718219860_e1e97357f1_b.jpg

Chatswood station on Sydney’s North Shore (the slightly out of focus figure on the seat is me!)

• Like 9