Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

just been into one of the new film studios in ancoats fouridentical beige volvo 240dl estates three vw microbuses in bright yellow hippy flower powerplus various old ambulances and buses covered in mesh and scaffolding for some kind of post apocalyptic setting .one of the few places i look forward to delivering to

Edited by peanuts

The Volvo 240 Estste was one of the best cars I had, but had to let it go with 487,000 miles on the clock.
The 740 wasn't so good, though very nice, that one only got to 448,000 miles before it went.

• Like 2

The Volvo 240 Estste was one of the best cars I had, but had to let it go with 487,000 miles on the clock.

The 740 wasn't so good, though very nice, that one only got to 448,000 miles before it went.

Had one of dem too. Wonderful old bus but  kicked the  bucket long before it clocked up anything like 487k !

Got a rather shaky 110 out of it on the Wimpey Viaduct on the M40, High Wycombe  before it did though.

Most scary moment ? Running out of petrol at night crossing the main runway at Booker airfield. What was I doing on Booker airfield late at night with the missus ? None of your  business !

Allan.

• Like 2

Had one of dem too. Wonderful old bus but  kicked the  bucket long before it clocked up anything like 487k !

Got a rather shaky 110 out of it on the Wimpey Viaduct on the M40, High Wycombe  before it did though.

Most scary moment ? Running out of petrol at night crossing the main runway at Booker airfield. What was I doing on Booker airfield late at night with the missus ? None of your  business !

Allan.

was lucky enough to blag one of the 265 estates which is basically a 240 with the 2.8 V6 was an absolute rocket and a fantastic q car many a boy racer got a shock away from the lights when the old guy in the tatty volvo estate left them in his dust ! :locomotive:

• Like 3

I hate banger racing....

Not over keen myself, only thought is should a lot of very common cars just be stripped slowly for the odd part or at least have the chance for one last bit of glory.

When it comes to cars that are becoming rare I agree entirely but if a buyer can't be found,.....

I've had 4 various R8 type Rovers, lovely cars but all becoming end of life when I had them, maybe I'm a cheapskate? When I see a similar type on the track I feel a tinge of sadness, but feel nothing for the likes of Ford Focus, Fiesta, Ka or anything else common and current. As for anything German getting smashed up, bring it on!!!

• Like 1

but feel nothing for the likes of Ford Focus, Fiesta, Ka or anything else common and current. 

Common and current they might well be now, but it's surprising how quickly they become not so common. I loved my Mk1 Focus Zetec 'Sport' - OK the Sport appelation was a bit of a misnomer, but with slightly uprated suspension, a very willing 1.8 petrol engine & a 3 door shell with nice 17 inch alloys, it was a good looking and rather pleasant car to drive, Ultra reliable too. Can't recall the last time I saw a similar model, & it would only be 14 years old now....

Keith

Common and current they might well be now, but it's surprising how quickly they become not so common. I loved my Mk1 Focus Zetec 'Sport' - OK the Sport appelation was a bit of a misnomer, but with slightly uprated suspension, a very willing 1.8 petrol engine & a 3 door shell with nice 17 inch alloys, it was a good looking and rather pleasant car to drive, Ultra reliable too. Can't recall the last time I saw a similar model, & it would only be 14 years old now....

Keith

Well when you're faced with a scrappage scheme for cars up to 2010 as I heard recently on the radio, 14 years is positively ancient.

I'm sure many more future classics will succumb to the great emissions god than will end up on the banger track.

• Like 1

Well when you're faced with a scrappage scheme for cars up to 2010 as I heard recently on the radio, 14 years is positively ancient.

I'm sure many more future classics will succumb to the great emissions god than will end up on the banger track.

Do you know, I thought that just as I hit post on my last one...!!  :rolleyes:  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought my new car last year a 2003 MG ZR, I just don't move with the times as I really do think it's very modern!

But unbelievably its 100% rust free and I can maintain it myself so I have absolutely no desire to get anything newer.

As I type its locked up in a heated garage and my maestro van is my winter daily driver

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It is strange how times have changed.  When I started driving in 1970 I bought a Ford Anglia Estate and my parents used it before I passed my test.  It was a 1964 car so just 6 years old and bought for peanuts really as a banger.  I doubt that many now could afford to buy a 6 year old car when they start to drive yet within four years the Government would be giving you money to scrap that car.

• Like 1

You don't seem to see certain German makes on the banger track very often, perhaps its because they've already had the life thrashed out of them.

And when they do, don't seem to last long. Watching a BMW trying to keep up with a pack of Sierras in one formula (no idea which there's so many) at Great Yarmouth is entertaining. It's absolutely hopeless but the driver's been trying for at least two seasons, often doesn't last the full race distance before expiring

• Like 1

A similar scheme was carried out in Portugal when I was there where the idea was for everyone to scrap their battered and lethal old bangers then, with financial aid from the government, everybody could drive around in a nice shiny new car.

A month later and everything was back to normal. 

Allan.

• Like 1

A lot of my mileage was down to visiting (from west Cornwall) my Father in Arbroath, and, transport for one of my lad's to and from York University.  Plus going to exhibitions.

• Like 1

I bought my new car last year a 2003 MG ZR, I just don't move with the times as I really do think it's very modern!

But unbelievably its 100% rust free and I can maintain it myself so I have absolutely no desire to get anything newer.

As I type its locked up in a heated garage and my maestro van is my winter daily driver

My Mum and Dad currently have a 2000 Rover 45 as their daily drive while they are awaiting delivery of a new car, they have owned it since November and it has been a cracking little car. It needs a new home from March of anyone fancies it?

• Like 4

My Mum and Dad currently have a 2000 Rover 45 as their daily drive while they are awaiting delivery of a new car, they have owned it since November and it has been a cracking little car. It needs a new home from March of anyone fancies it?

See if you can offer it on the Autosh*te.com forum. This is exactly the sort of automotive chod they love, especially if you offer it as a ROFL (i.e. raffle) prize. Say £4 a ticket, or something like that.

EDIT: for those not familiar with Autosh*te, this is a forum dedicated to keeping cheap old everyday cars (also known as "sh*te" or "sh***ers") going, long after depreciation has ceased to mean anything. Contains an entertaining mix of modern cars and classics, and some hilarious ingenuity. Regular offers of cars for sale take place, often using the raffle system (known as "roffle", because ROFL), so by picking a raffle ticket number or asking for a random number, you could end up with a car for as little as a fiver. Most recent example was somebody ending up with a 1996 Citroen Xantia for a fiver £6. All he has to do now is collect it from South London. No it wasn't me.

There's a fella somewhere in Wales who is trying to resurrect an Invacar, whilst another has been working obsessively on a ground-up restoration of a Mk.1 Granada Coupe, and a third is currently taking an original Mini apart. All good dirty fun.

Some people seem to accumulate worrying numbers of cars, and then have to work out where to park them without attracting the attention of the other half  :jester:

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Here's the Citroen Xantia Roffle, so you can see how the Roffle system works.

One of the best summaries of the Forum I've yet seen was this one a couple of weeks ago:

Imagine, if you will, someone telling you about a place he's found on the internet:

"It's full of random strangers taking the p*ss out of each other's cars, and nobody minds very much.  They raffle the cars between them - and bear in mind here the cars are worth an average of about £500, if that - and they have these random meetups all over the country.  There's a bunch of them going to ****ing Bulgaria for a weekend in the summer, with the sole intention of buying some unseen old bangers and driving them back to Blighty.  And it's not like these blokes are old mates, most of them have never met!  Oh and they go to car auctions as well, and just buy some limping old tat that nobody else wants, and get this: they sell raffle tickets for that car before they go!  The winner doesn't even know what he's getting!  Mad as a bucket of frogs, the lot of 'em."

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 5

Our Rover fan in Chatteris is still collecting cars. Latest one is one that I don't ever recall seeing before:

attachicon.gifLR54EXZ Chatteris 05-02-2018..jpg

Stewart

Was that a factory option? Only asking as you can pretty much do that to any 3dr hatch by taking the back seats out and covering the rear side windows. The little Corsa vans so beloved of energy companies for their meter readers are pretty much still a car.