RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Depends why it was on the transporter I suppose.  Unless you are saying a waste because it had a hard top on.

Watched a repeat of the Wheeler Dealers yesterday where they did the Stag up.  Lot of controversy about that I seem to recall but nevertheless reinforced my desire to own one at some point.  Once again they are rising in value though and they are a car that can be a money pit if you get the wrong one to start with.  I think the best advice for me was buy the best you can afford, one that has had the work done properly and then spend your money keeping it in that condition.  I would have one in a heartbeat but having got rid of  Porsche Boxster that was bought purely as a toy and hardly used I think I will have to wait until I finally give up with the motorbike and then seriously look once more at a Stag.

Stag prices are rising overall but looking at the for sale ads online the prices seem to be all over the place at the moment. With something like 9,000 of the 25,000 built surviving it's not surprising that the quality varies too I suppose. I'd love one, there are quite a few very nice examples round here which are always out and about in the 'warm season'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I understand why you thought that Russ and i had to read it twice!

Yes I think 15k is about the average for a Stag looking last night on the usual places and therefore obviously you can pay much more or much less with the condition of the vehicle in question. Strangely enough the cars for sale on the Stag owners club were far more sensibly priced at first glance.  If you look at that price range there is  a lot of classic you can buy (Rover P5B?) but the Stag has always had my eye and heart I guess.  Not enough to make me want to give up the bike yet but come that day who knows?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough me and a mate were discussing stags yesterday we were saying that if rover had based the R8 200 convertible on the coupé rather than the hatch they could have created a spiritual successor to the stag

Yes Chris, £15k will bag you a very nice P5B, or even three very nice P6Bs! With this year being the fiftieth anniversary of the Jag XJ series prices of good early cars are firming up now, there are several Series 1s and 2s being advertised at the moment in the £10k - £20k bracket, including the rare VDPs, Double Sixes, XJ Coupes etc. Just a few years ago they were mostly sub £10k cars.

I'm still waiting to hear about that P5B Coupe I'm looking into but the early XJs are getting my attention again  ;)

A very tasty looking SWB Series 1 XJ in the Euston Films series 'Fox', made in 1979 after 'The Sweeney' had finished...

post-7638-0-21953600-1518349130.jpg

A similar one currently up for grabs, nice history by the sounds of it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ6-Series-One/263165118548?hash=item3d45dd0854:g:srAAAOSwZElZnvvk

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to liking Jags and owned a Daimler Sovereign some years ago which was very nice but was nicked and burnt out.  Poor picture I am afraid but the only one I have.

post-6685-0-65807400-1518350053.jpg

I was also driving one last year for a while either this one or the Estate version.  (Not the actual car)

post-6685-0-14846100-1518350182_thumb.jpg

As much as I like them they do not make me want to own one.  Now the Rovers are a different story either a P5 or a P6 3500 would do very nicely.  Only problem is I would have to have some form of agreement with the good lady of the house and as she said she would buy it referring to the Stag last night and doesn't like Old Man's cars (Rover and Jag) I would have to aim to please.  Mind you she would love a Mini as well!!!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to liking Jags and owned a Daimler Sovereign some years ago which was very nice but was nicked and burnt out.  Poor picture I am afraid but the only one I have.

attachicon.gifJaguar Sovereign.jpg

I was also driving one last year for a while either this one or the Estate version.  (Not the actual car)

attachicon.giforig_jag_limo_33.jpg

As much as I like them they do not make me want to own one.  Now the Rovers are a different story either a P5 or a P6 3500 would do very nicely.  Only problem is I would have to have some form of agreement with the good lady of the house and as she said she would buy it referring to the Stag last night and doesn't like Old Man's cars (Rover and Jag) I would have to aim to please.  Mind you she would love a Mini as well!!!!

The 'estate' version would make a great layout transport. :jester:

I do love a P5B -  and as it happens this ones arrived at my 'Workbench'   for some electrical work , and a service . Lovely car, and this one still has all its very original seatbelts with labels on the webbing, and secret toolkit  :sungum:

post-6893-0-28689100-1518631948_thumb.jpg

Jon 

Edited by 43179
  • Like 14

Very nice Jon...as is the SM in front and no doubt the '60s / '70s BMW behind  ;)

Pretty sure I've seen that Coupe at a show somewhere, I recognise the reg' number. Nice rear headrests and Webasto present too.

Edited by Rugd1022

I do love a P5B -  and as it happens this ones arrived at my 'Workbench'   for some electrical work , and a service . Lovely car, and this one still has all its very original seatbelts with labels on the webbing, and secret toolkit  :sungum:

attachicon.gifIMG_30601.JPG

Jon 

What's the red vehicle in the bottom r/h corner? That looks like a 1960s-1970s door handle.

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1

Hi Steve -  the door handle in question belongs to my favourite car  a  Triumph herald 1360  - aka 'Gerald'   the tiny free revving engine is just so plucky and it always starts first time , every time, it doesn't weigh anything so the steering is beautifully light and quick , and the boot is massive - a ridiculously practical little convertible, perfect for rattling down country lanes. Love it. The wire wheels aren't original and the grille I think  is technically from a Vitesse  - but i think they suit the car  

post-6893-0-16838600-1518645251_thumb.jpg

jon

Edited by 43179
  • Like 13

Very nice Jon...as is the SM in front and no doubt the '60s / '70s BMW behind  ;)

Pretty sure I've seen that Coupe at a show somewhere, I recognise the reg' number. Nice rear headrests and Webasto present too.

Well spotted - the BMW is a 1976  3.0l CSI  - quite a rare beast with RHD and a dog leg gearbox -   i must admit its not my thing looks wise, but the gearbox is nice and the signature bmw straight six music is nice too.

Jon

• Like 2

Hi Steve -  the door handle in question belongs to my favourite car  a  Triumph herald 1360  - aka 'Gerald'   the tiny free revving engine is just so plucky and it always starts first time , every time, it doesn't weigh anything so the steering is beautifully light and quick , and the boot is massive - a ridiculously practical little convertible, perfect for rattling down country lanes. Love it. The wire wheels aren't original and the grille I think  is technically from a Vitesse  - but i think they suit the car  

attachicon.gif28081446_10155540071874164_472135900_o.jpg

jon

Thanks Jon.

Mind you, I should have known having owned a MK II Vitesse for 11 years earlier in my life!

And yes, that's a Vit grille

steve

• Like 2

Hi Steve -  the door handle in question belongs to my favourite car  a  Triumph herald 1360  - aka 'Gerald' 

The wire wheels aren't original and the grille I think  is technically from a Vitesse  - but i think they suit the car 

And yes, that's a Vit grille

Surely a Vitesse grille would be too narrow as it fits between the twin headlights? I think it's the standard 13/60 grille, albeit that this was clearly derived from the Vitesse design.

• RMweb Premium

Surely a Vitesse grille would be too narrow as it fits between the twin headlights? I think it's the standard 13/60 grille, albeit that this was clearly derived from the Vitesse design.

All 13/60's used the Vitesse bonnet but with single headlamps. Unless it was the Indian Standard Herald which mounted the headlamps on the inner bezels and put the sidelights/indicators where the outer headlamps would be. (And they had four doors and no tailfins, and a solid rear axle.)

• Like 1

Driving into Peterborough along the A605 this morning, spotted what must be the unlikeliest of bangers on the back of a transporter heading west towards the A1, a Triumph Stag in a very fetching shade of green, almost GWR Brunswick. It was a hard top, keeps on the right side of the H&S mob I guess.

Not sure if this was the same owner as the one I spotted last week, maybe even the same car, but a quick Google search suggests there are a few around. The shade of green on this one looks much lighter but it was dark and on the back of a lorry heading in the opposite direction so it might well have been.

https://www.v6-classic-modifieds.co.uk/v6-classic-modified-rental.html

• Like 1