The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Got lots of previous on CX's, even got a proper Citroen w/s manual for them in the tech archive,

I've probably got the same manual, plus the HBOL.

Only two flaws on mine:

1. doesn't always fire on the key (you can hear the solenoid engaging, but the starter motor only turns when it wants to);

2. autobox still slipping despite swallowing 2.5litres of new Dexron III so far.

Should keep you busy scratching your head for weeks, and your bill will probably bankrupt me.

BTW, MoT due in August.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

Spotted on the road this afternoon while I was driving back from the dump (no camera):

- one of those open wheel, space frame devices with a massive wing on the back

steve

On a trailer or actually being driven. If on a trailer depending where you are it could have been a Brisca formula 1 or 2 car or a Superstox if nearer Spedeworth country?

Or, of course, one of the other V8 formula cars

• Like 2

On a trailer or actually being driven. If on a trailer depending where you are it could have been a Brisca formula 1 or 2 car or a Superstox if nearer Spedeworth country?

It was being driven on the road. Had lights, mudguards, etc. Street car not a racer. Earlier comment re Atom more like it.

steve

• Like 1

spotted on king street roundabout today a lovely green standard 8 five up and holding its own in traffic sorry no pics but driving

I've often looked at pics of the Standard 8/10 drive train and thought that anything up to the 1500 Spitfire engine and gearbox should go in fairly easily and using factory parts. Might want to look at some Spitfire brakes and some suspension tweaks at the same time mind.

• Like 2

On the way back from dropping the Alfa off for its MOT just now a lovely golden sand Mk2 Jag wafted past me, burbling away nicely. Have a feeling it may have been en route to the same garage as they deal with most of the classics round here.

A mate of mine is trying to steer me away from the Italian stuff by teasing me about a Radford Mini Cooper which may or may not be for sale soon, the rotter!

• Like 3

A few weeks back, whilst enjoying a hot choccy at a Maccydees drive-over...[A1079/A614]....spotted a 'stock-car' being driven on the road....no visible mudguards, wing on roof, lights, etc.....came up from Howden, turned towards York.....

Oh well....since when has it been legal to drive on road without effective mudguards?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've often looked at pics of the Standard 8/10 drive train and thought that anything up to the 1500 Spitfire engine and gearbox should go in fairly easily and using factory parts. Might want to look at some Spitfire brakes and some suspension tweaks at the same time mind.

The same engine was carried over to the Herald and developed from there, including the Vitesse six cylinder versions.

Sorry - still cannot abide Standard 8s

Our school headmaster had a drophead sand coloured one (they always rang a bell with their starter motors).

It used to put the Willies up us all when it passed us slowly and silently.

You knew you would get pulled in before the Boss next day for some street crime

dh

• RMweb Premium

Our school headmaster had a drophead sand coloured one (they always rang a bell with their starter motors).

dh

The 1951-1959 Standard 8/10 and Pennant are the models refered too. They were never made as a drophead, perhaps you mean the previous 'Flying 8' model?

dh

Did they make a Standard 8 drophead?  Are we all talking about the same model Standard Eight?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Eight

I think the 'Eight' being referred to regarding spitfire mechanicals is the '50's Eight [without the boot lid version?]

Whereas the drophead Eight was a post WW2 model...very different indeed. [i sustained my very first road accident injury within a car, in one...my Uncle's pale blue Drophead Eight.....he stopped suddenly, my forehead didn't, cracking the windscreen glass!]

There was also the 'Flying Eight'...and obviously, the 'Sneaking Eight'.....

A few weeks back, whilst enjoying a hot choccy at a Maccydees drive-over...[A1079/A614]....spotted a 'stock-car' being driven on the road....no visible mudguards, wing on roof, lights, etc.....came up from Howden, turned towards York.....

Oh well....since when has it been legal to drive on road without effective mudguards?

Apparently there is one fully street legal one , there's a video on YouTube taken with an onboard camera. Somewhere in the York area possibly

Edit, as for street legal,just ask the increasing number of scrambler type bike riders or, noticed recently an increasing number of, usually, higher performance cars without front number plates or at best it stuffed in the windscreen and illegible, at least to a speed cameras

Edited by great central

I asked that of the owner of the Ford Coupe  to the left of the MGB in this picture. He said that it was street legal, although I had always thought that wheels had to be covered across their width and couldn't project beyond. Not easy to find but the C & U Regs. include the following;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/63/made

post-1191-0-39577800-1529326566_thumb.jpg

There were several other "interesting" aspects to the Ford. The floor had rotted through and been repaired with a jigsaw of USA number plates and the exhausts from the Chevy mall block motor didn't have any visible silencers..

• Like 5

I asked that of the owner of the Ford Coupe to the left of the MGB in this picture. He said that it was street legal, although I had always thought that wheels had to be covered across their width and couldn't project beyond.

exhausts from the Chevy mall block motor didn't have any visible silencers..

There's a good many modified much newer cars where the wheels don't fit fully into the arches, Carlos Fandango mods for those of a certain age:-)

As for the Chevy small block, is there any better way of listening to a V8??

• Like 1

Did they make a Standard 8 drophead?  Are we all talking about the same model Standard Eight?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Eight

I think the 'Eight' being referred to regarding spitfire mechanicals is the '50's Eight [without the boot lid version?]

Whereas the drophead Eight was a post WW2 model...very different indeed. [i sustained my very first road accident injury within a car, in one...my Uncle's pale blue Drophead Eight.....he stopped suddenly, my forehead didn't, cracking the windscreen glass!]

There was also the 'Flying Eight'...and obviously, the 'Sneaking Eight'.....

Our old Boss's horrible one was clearly the 'Sneaking Eight', it never ever flew!

But looking at the link you provided, I am surprised to find it to be pre-war as it definitely was not a Tourer.

I certainly remember the 1950s standard 8 being announced with a boot but no boot lid (another schoolteacher's car);  It ended Standard's one model only policy - started when the original eye catching fastback Vanguard appeared in 1948.

The strange thing was that Standard announced their first postwar new small car as a razor edged Triumph  Mayflower in 1949/50. Apparently Sir John Black thought it would be a export drive big seller in the US (like Leonard Lord hoped the Austin Atlantic and Metropolitan would). Nuffield's MG TC&TD were the only US export successes.

The only folk who drove Mayflowers were rather pompous senior bank clerks.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Reference the Cityrover?

One was driven from London to Delhi by a couple of students, in, I believe, circa 2006-7?

The journey was completed without mishap!

Cannot imagine a bog-standard Ford Fiesta managing to achieve the same?  Not without losing half its suspension, and lower body panels?

{ I picked the  Fiesta at random..insert any small, standard, bottom-of-the-range hatchback being sold new at the time? Or, any big new standard car?]

EDit...found reference  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_CityRover

Rather late reply, but I was one of those students... It was September 2006, and the only mods to the car were stronger tyres, more comfortable seats (out of a Volvo 340...) and a "roo bar" on the front...

The car came back afterwards, and I saw it a few years later, and a couple of times since driving through Bournemouth - last MOT expired over a year ago however, so I suspect it's been scrapped.

• Like 5

as someone else said its a c&u issue - you can get pulled by police or vosa for missing fenders and you may get issued with a prohibition notice and made to trailer your vehicle home, its happened to quite a few people.  As with everything in life it depends how people(poliecman or vosa) are feeling on the day of the offence as to what actually happens if you are caught but it is against the law.

its not covered in the MOT nor has it been proposed for the new MOT next year.

heres a copy of the clause in c&u regs

Wings

63.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (4), this regulation applies to—
(a)invalid carriages;
(b)heavy motor cars, motor cars and motor cycles, not being agricultural motor vehicles or pedestrian-controlled vehicles;
©agricultural motor vehicles driven at more than 20 mph; and
(d)trailers. 

(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (5), every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks. 

(3) The requirements specified in paragraph (2) apply, in the case of a trailer with more than two wheels, only in respect of the rearmost two wheels.

(4) Those requirements do not apply in respect of—
(a)a works truck;
(b)a living van;
©a water cart;
(d)an agricultural trailer drawn by a motor vehicle which is not driven at a speed in excess of 20 mph;
(e)an agricultural trailed appliance;
(f)an agricultural trailed appliance conveyor;
(g)a broken down vehicle;
(h)a heavy motor car, motor car or trailer in an unfinished condition which is proceeding to a workshop for completion;
(i)a trailer used for or in connection with the carriage of round timber and the rear wheels of any heavy motor car or motor car drawing a semi-trailer so used; or
(j)a trailer drawn by a motor vehicle the maximum speed of which is restricted to 20 mph or less under Schedule 6 to the 1984 Act.

(5) Instead of complying with paragraph (2) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 78/549.

here is the clause in the community directive 78/549

ANNEX I
1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS 1.1. The motor vehicle must be provided with wheel guards (parts of the bodywork, mudguards, etc.). 
1.2. The wheel guards must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as possible, against thrown-up stones, mud, ice, snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels. 
2. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS 
2.1. The wheel guards must meet the following requirements when the vehicle is in running order (see section 2.6 of Annex I to Directive 70/156/EEC) and the wheels are in the dead ahead position: 
2.1.1. In the part formed by radial planes at an angle of 30º to the front and 50º to the rear of the centre of the wheels (see figure 1), the overall width (q) of the wheel guards must be at least sufficient to cover the total tyre width (b) taking into account the extremes of tyre/wheel combination as specified by the manufacturer and as indicated in section 5.2 of the certificate set out in Annex II. In the case of twin wheels, the total width over the two tyres (t) shall be taken into account. 
2.1.1.1. For the purposes of determining the widths referred to in 2.1.1, the labelling (marking) and decorations, protective bands or ribs on tyre walls are not taken into account. 
2.1.2. The rear of the wheel guards must not terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres) and furthermore the intersection of the edge of the wheel guard with this plane (point A, figure 1) must lie outside the median longitudinal plane of the tyre, or in the case of twin wheels the median longitudinal plane of the outermost tyre. 
2.1.3. The contour and location of the wheel guards shall be such that they are as close to the tyre as possible ; and in particular within the part formed by the radial planes referred to in 2.1.1, they shall satisfy the following requirements: 
2.1.3.1. the projection - situated in the vertical plane of the tyre axis - of the depth (p) of the outer edge of the wheel guards, measured in the vertical longitudinal plane passing through the centre of the tyre, must be at least 30 mm. This depth (p) may be reduced progressively to zero at the radial planes specified in 2.1.1; 
2.1.3.2. the distance © between the lower edges of the wheel guards and the axis passing through the centre of the wheels must not exceed 2r, "r" being the static radius of the tyre. 
2.1.4. In the case of vehicles having adjustable suspension height, the abovementioned requirements must be met when the vehicle is in the normal running position specified by the vehicle manufacturer. 
2.2. The wheel guards may consist of several components, provided no gaps exist between or within the individual parts when assembled. 
2.3. The wheel guards must be firmly attached. However, they may be detachable either as a unit or in parts. 
3. USE OF CHAINS 3.1. The manufacturer must certify that the vehicle is so designed that at least one type of snow chain can be used on at least one of the types of tyres approved for the drive wheels of that type of vehicle. One chain/tyre combination suitable for the vehicle must be specified by the manufacturer and indicated in section 5.1 of the certificate set out in Annex II. 
4. APPLICATION FOR EEC TYPE-APPROVAL 4.1. The application for EEC type-approval of a vehicle type with regard to wheel guards must be submitted by the vehicle manufacturer or his authorized representative. 
4.2. It must be accompanied by the following documents in triplicate and by the following particulars: 4.2.1. - a detailed description of the vehicle type with regard to wheel guards ; and 
4.2.2. - detailed drawings of the wheel guards showing their position on the vehicle. 
4.3. A vehicle representative of the type of vehicle to be approved must be submitted to the technical service responsible for conducting type-approval tests. >PIC FILE= "T0013196">

From 'orses marth....

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic/front-rear-fenders-law-38807

Methinks folk think they can do stuff, just because their mate says so? 

In the past, I have seen rods, and other things looking like they've not got mudguards...but they have [in reality]...they were clear plastic/perspex....and very close to the tyre.

Same with straight through pipes? It's about the maximum level of noise permitted..not whether there is an effective silencer achieving that?  A straight pipe, if long enough, can do some silencing.....as can a straight pipe, lined with sound absorbing  stuff. [Like some Harley pipes, for example?]

I've probably got the same manual, plus the HBOL.

Only two flaws on mine:

1. doesn't always fire on the key (you can hear the solenoid engaging, but the starter motor only turns when it wants to);

2. autobox still slipping despite swallowing 2.5litres of new Dexron III so far.

Should keep you busy scratching your head for weeks, and your bill will probably bankrupt me.

BTW, MoT due in August.

The starter fault sounds like volt drop to the solenoid, may need a starter relay adding to the system, 205GTI's used to suffer from that something rotten, especially when an alarm or immobilser was fitted.

Does the box slip in all 3 gears? and is the fluid brown or smells "burnt" Horsefan?

• Like 1

The starter fault sounds like volt drop to the solenoid, may need a starter relay adding to the system, 205GTI's used to suffer from that something rotten, especially when an alarm or immobilser was fitted.

The starter motor was fitted new by the previous owner as he was experiencing the same problem. Clearly it didn't overcome the erratic start, as he would get a non-start once in every four tries, so he then plumbed in an emergency start circuit in the engine bay. I'm only getting a clean start once or twice every 20 spins of the key.

Does the box slip in all 3 gears? and is the fluid brown or smells "burnt" Horsefan?

Fluid is clean. It's red when I pour it in, but shows up as clear (like water) on the gearbox dipstick.

I was told that it might be low fluid levels, but with nearly three litres of Dexron III going in, I suspect I might have overfilled it now. What happens is that the car moves off normally, but when you press on, the engine spins up from 1700 to 2900 revs but the gearbox takes an age to catch up, a bit like a Variomatic with loose bands. It's difficult to detect gear changes now because of it. This only started happening in April - before that, it was perfect.

Edited by Horsetan