Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Old car, new problem.

My old Volvo has decided that I've had enough fault free motoring for the time being and has elected to start throwing random engine fault codes. The first was code 122 which is the IAT sensor. Code 231 was also stored, but I thought that the IAT might have triggered that. Luckily I had a spare IAT so swapped it in, forced a reset and all was good for about 100 miles. Then the check engine light is back on though with no loss of performance. I pulled the code and this time it was just 231 which is fuel trim too rich. Looking online there are differing opinions as to what might cause this.

I reset the light after checking for vacuum leaks and found none. All well for another 100 miles then light is back on with the same 231 code. I've dismantled all the air and vacuum lines that I could, checking for splits and leaks and have found none. I reasembled carefully, smearing a little oil at every join before tightening everything back up hoping that this will solve any minor leaks. I took it for a test drive giving it some beans and all is well. I cant shake the feeling that it is only a matter of time before 231 comes back

Diagnosis of what these codes really mean is tough. I eventually tracked 231 translated into real world speak being a mismatch between what the exhaust O2 sensor is reading and what the ECU is expecting based on the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) sensors. This is often apparently caused by a vacuum leak, which I can find no trace of. However, sometimes other things can cause it, but it was unclear as to exactly what.

Does anyone have any experience of these codes? Every time they were tripped I was doing 70* on the motorway. (*yes officer, bang on 70 and not an mph over though if you tell me I was doing faster I'll need to have the speedo recalibrated at the soonest opportunity, thank you for bringing it to my attention). I cannot replicate them just by running the engine. Would driving a vehicle hard show up a minor vacuum leak that might not be present during gentler running? I shall try driving slower at a steady 60 for now and see whether it comes back. I am also picking up a new air filter because it has been very dusty these last few months and I wonder if dust and pollen has clogged it though it looks in reasonable condition. I'm also changing the plugs because whilst they look fine and show nothing unusual they have been on the car for around 60,000 miles.

Seeing the check engine light come on is very annoying, as I checked and the engine was definitely still there so what more does it want? Any knowledge passed on would be gratefully received.

Has the exhaust O2 sensor(s) failed? They supposedly only have a finite life.

I'll take the Avenger please!

steve

For some unknown reason, I really want the Maestro....?! (& I promise I won't rally prepare it, or stick Minilites on...!!)

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 2

Spotted these last week in 'The Village' Portmeirion. N. Wales.

attachicon.gifDSC05486.JPG

Spotted one just like that heading east on the M4 when driving home from Hampshire on Sunday - might have been the same little beauty - one of my favourite ever cars in it's best colour scheme (only IMO of course!!)

And Nidge - saw my spot of the century when driving up to Hampshire - a grey Lambo Diablo - fantastic looking thing, & I'm 99.9 % certain the first I've ever seen in the wild!

Keith

• Like 3

For some unknown reason, I really want the Maestro....?! (& I promise I won't rally prepare it, or stick Minilites on...!!)

Just sold ours when we got the P6. It's a very underrated car, practical, economical, minimum of things to go wrong, and if you really want performance like some of you seem to need (not for me, I prefer just to cruise along in comfort, thanks!), there's always the mad, bad, Maestro MG Turbo!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3

Sherry had a Lexus IS200 at one time. This on one occasion displayed some sort of engine fault which was finally traced to an incorrect sensor having been installed in the exhaust system. Your fuel trim too rich might be a similar problem - a faulty sensor is misreading exhaust gases and thinks the engine is not performing correctly, even though to all intents and purposes it is fine.

Great that our environment is being protected by these devices, we should be grateful - but when they misbehave it is very tedious.

It is a thought. I know that whilst there is a fault code for failed/failing o2 sensor, it does not guarantee that a failing part will generate the appropriate code if the ECU thinks its readings are not duff. The ABS modules, as an example, can be a nightmare for generating fault codes that indicate failed wheel sensors when in fact the module has failed.

You could try joining this lot, they probably do!

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

Thanks, I must do that.

My old Volvo?  Fault Codes??

If it ain't got points, it's not old.  :jester:

(For younger viewers, points are a form of ignition system that could be fixed at the roadside.  And without a laptop)

It's the last of the decent Volvos before they got a reputation for niggles and got too complex for fixing in a shed or on a drive. It just predates computer controlled electronics so is fairly fixable with a deep breath and a lot of head scratching and innovation.

Has the exhaust O2 sensor(s) failed? They supposedly only have a finite life.

I did wonder if it might be duff readings from the o2 sensor. I do have a brand new spare in the shed, never used, so it would not harm to fit it. Access is a pain so I've changed the plugs and air filter element anyway, and already noticed a slightly smoother idle. It'll get a run out to Rochdale and back tomorrow so hopefully that will either generate a code which will mean I'll change the sensor, or not in which case I'll keep going.

• RMweb Gold

Given up on the idea of an SM due to being deficient in the b*lls department to the tune of two! 

Shame.

post-4295-0-89147500-1533662698_thumb.jpg

But if you are thinking of Lamborghini - the man who makes tractors - look at something classier than the ugly macho cars.

Like this.

post-4295-0-51291300-1533663070_thumb.jpg

These were in the car club section at the Le Mans Classic a month ago. I was there on the Sunday morning, when life is a little quieter, but the exhibits are not all present. You can have a good mooch round and stare at all sorts of exotica. Sometimes, though, you have to pinch yourself, before accepting it is a replica.

post-4295-0-33892300-1533663400_thumb.jpg

Of course, the real thing, which came 4th in 1967, had a broad yellow stripe, being Belgian-entered. But a 330P4, real or fake, is exotic beyond imagining. Although when I lived in Kent there was a local firm manufacturing the replicas. I saw one leaving the local filling station one evening. 

• Like 15

What a stunning collection of cars, very tasty every single one. By coincidence I was talking to a mate about going up to Portmeirion sometime, I've never been before but he's been twice and says it's well worth a look.

New box set of 'The Prisoner' duly ordered from Amazon!

My advice is book to stay "off season" eg mid to late March and you just might be lucky with the weather (NB one of the wettest places in Britiah Isles)

But always excellent "full Welsh" breakfasts - and great fish and chips in Porthmadog for supper to eat on Borth y gest beach !

Highly recommended

• Like 2

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The second pic must be post 1971 (J reg. on 1100).

The site says it's on the Preston to Lancaster road which a friend and I cycled down back then, took us all day to get to Lancaster and back from Hutton, SW of Preston, was knackered on the way back! Don't remember any MGAs or Mothers Pride vans though! :)

• Like 1

Spotted a light green Aston DB6 "FUG 990D" emerging from a private drive near where I'm currently parking the diesel Borat. Dunno how you'd feel driving an old car worth at least a quarter of a million quid on London roads today. I still don't like the truncated rear side windows on the DB6; the earlier, longer windows on the DB5 are much more natural and in harmony with the roofline.

Nice gaff though. But where? It's not this street...

https://goo.gl/maps/TXGUtwbtUCm

...but I reckon somewhere in North West Landon?

Hampstead Garden Suburb. That's just down the A1 from me. Art Deco suburban houses in that area are likely to be Grade-II listed and worth about £1m or so; I'm fascinated as to how the curved glass was produced without apparent optical distortion.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What a stunning collection of cars, very tasty every single one. By coincidence I was talking to a mate about going up to Portmeirion sometime, I've never been before but he's been twice and says it's well worth a look.

New box set of 'The Prisoner' duly ordered from Amazon!

Not happy no KAR120C

• RMweb Premium

My old Volvo?  Fault Codes??

If it ain't got points, it's not old.  :jester:

(For younger viewers, points are a form of ignition system that could be fixed at the roadside.  And without a laptop)

Points are the work of the devil.

Not had any since my first bike which was a nightmare with them.

Had to adjust a friends in a distributor, not fun.

Magnetic pick ups with basic electronic ignition much better.

• RMweb Premium

I'll take the Avenger please!

steve

Problem with me is it would gain a AVFR3 cam. And I would love a Megasquirt system on one. Twin carbs are not fun and getting through MOT on emmisions not easy.

Mind you a lot had electronic ignition.

• Like 1

Shame.

attachicon.gifIHD_2324.jpg

But if you are thinking of Lamborghini - the man who makes tractors - look at something classier than the ugly macho cars.

Like this.

attachicon.gifIHD_2326.jpg

These were in the car club section at the Le Mans Classic a month ago. I was there on the Sunday morning, when life is a little quieter, but the exhibits are not all present. You can have a good mooch round and stare at all sorts of exotica. Sometimes, though, you have to pinch yourself, before accepting it is a replica.

attachicon.gifIHD_2330.jpg

Of course, the real thing, which came 4th in 1967, had a broad yellow stripe, being Belgian-entered. But a 330P4, real or fake, is exotic beyond imagining. Although when I lived in Kent there was a local firm manufacturing the replicas. I saw one leaving the local filling station one evening. 

Oh I agree on the Lambos Ian, I much prefer the pre-Diablo stuff, always have. Given the choice I'd even rather have a Jarama over one of the later bonkers cars, despite its odd short wheelbase looks. I got hauled up on Pistonheads once for using the word 'Lambo' rather than the great man's full name, but I pointed out that Doug Blain, Mel Nichols and other motoring scribes of the period started using it as soon as the first fully clothed Miura broke cover in 1966. Even Ing. Paulo Stanzani used it in those days.

Probably the most exiting replica sighting I've had was coming back from the NEC classic show one year, I was tootling along the A45 at line speed when out of nowhere three GT40s overtook me at seemingly warp factor nine, the noise was incredible!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3