Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Another 1950's film for  the car spotters .

I noticed the 'nicotine yellow' bands painted around some of the lamp posts. Could these be the remnants of the blackout precautions? (white paint turned yellow.) I didn't see much in the way of bombsites living in an area of post-war developement, but when I visited my maternal grandparents house in St. Leonards there were a couple in their street. I discovered later that one in particular was the result of the Baedecker Raids. Another more enduring wartime vestage between St. Leonards and Bexhill was the tank traps built at the top of the beach parallel to the railway line.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Random burst of nostalgia found lurking in the hard drive, does anyone know how many of these fine looking Scimitar GTEs were built...

reliant-scimitar-gte-4.jpg

4,311 SE5s, 5105 SE5As. Wikipedia knows all!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Some of my dads old pics I uploaded to photobucket many years back, not took any notice of the cars before but they fit in this thread nicely 

crewe depot 

crewestation15.jpg

crewestation16.jpg

mid you look closely in this pic the 37 had just derailed on the points, the lead bogie is in the dirt!

crewestation18.jpg

• Like 5

ROZZERS Police%20Minis%203a.jpg

The copper with the cap looks like a very young Oscar Blaketon(!) although of course Oscar wouldn't have been that young when the Mini came out....

ROZZERS Wrexham 7B.jpeg.jpg

I presume the Moke is for the Prisoners.... ;-)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Rozzers / cozzers / Lilly law / Old Bill ahoy.... a mixture of Manchester, Liverpool, Wrexham, Nuneaton and Metropolitan area Mini / Mini Cooper S panda / patrol cars...

ROZZERS GM p%20Mini%20#2.jpg

Straight from the cast of Life on Mars :lol:

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Straight from the cast of Life on Mars :lol:

''It's 1973, it's dinner time and I'm 'avin' 'oops...'' :D

Aldford St, Mayfair in the '40s, the London my maternal Grandparents knew in their '20s...

LONDON Aldford St Mayfair 1940s.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Aldford St, Mayfair in the '40s, the London my maternal Grandparents knew in their '20s...

And probably taken just opposite the BMW Park Lane now.......bit quieter then.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Actually thinking about that picture I would not be surprised if that’s just a photo model standing in there, that haircut and those shoes are definitely not 60-70s regulation for beat plod :o

There's plenty of period footage about showing big hairy coppers looking just like that David! My cousin John was a beat Bobby in the '70s and '80s and looked just like the bloke in that photo. His Dad ended up a high ranking occifer 'oop the north and had a much more sober appearance (I found out only a couple of years ago that he was the arresting officer when Mira Hindley was nicked).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

There's plenty of period footage about showing big hairy coppers looking just like that David! My cousin John was a beat Bobby in the '70s and '80s and looked just like the bloke in that photo. His Dad ended up a high ranking occifer 'oop the north and had a much more sober appearance (I found out only a couple of years ago that he was the arresting officer when Mira Hindley was nicked).

You’re most likely correct, before H&S footware etc......thinking about it when I first started work (early 70’s) I was drinking with coppers like that in the local nicks bar, just behind where they had the billiard tables in the gym :lol:

• Like 2

Many pubs back then seemed to have a billiard table, often upstairs, one we frequented you had to ask behind the bar to be issued with balls and a couple of cues...obviously they didn't want them left lying around as handy weapons !

Interesting to see the prolific Mini panda cars, the panda's round our way were always Morris Minors..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I can see a rusty Riley straight ahead, an Austin 10 across the road but any thoughts on the cream coloured car on the right?

Sorry can't help with the cream and green car a rather ungainly looking 2 door '37 Austin 10  with a straight back

But also what is the car on the left of the Laira Sulzer pic?  Front looks like a Triumph 2000 my dad had, but the back of the glasshouse doesn't look right.

dh

• Like 1