RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

A distant relative of mine had a grey over blue Talbot 90, he bought it back in the late 50s and was still using it as a regular car in the 80s. His son inherited it and it's still going strong.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, PatB said:

Teenage idiocy will out I suppose. 

NOT.......necessarily true???  Much depends on whether one is going through one's 2nd, or 3rd childhood?

Photograph as 'evidence' to my line manager as to why I wasn't 'in' work that day...or why [after the 'op'} why I had to avoid certain 'heavy' tasks?

A mere 6 years ago, and but almost a year to go before I opted for 'retirement'....[IE, got fed up with work?}

IMG_20140919_075608.jpg

Edited by alastairq
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If a thing's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!:jester:

To give they guy his due, what he's added goes way beyond my idea of good taste, but it all appears to have been carried out competently. My preference is always "keep it looking stock but make it rock".... 

Quite what shape it will go if somebody gives that V6 a good application of welly does concern me though! After all, the Spitfire needed a roof added to cope with a 104bhp straight six.... 

John

But it’s an American V6 probably puts out a giddy 120 bhp :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Just now, boxbrownie said:

But it’s an American V6 probably puts out a giddy 120 bhp :jester:

Those GM V6s are/were ten a penny in the US, the basic GM power plant.  Could reach reasonable power figures..and of course, didn't suffer from the unequal cylinder filling of an inline six [on one carb]. Ford went that way too...for a while.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

This beauty was on the drive today, my parents came over and for a change used the Sunbeam. It has a couple of minor oil leaks hence the presence of the plastic mat...

20210606_153055.jpg.544d05329f314e9d3e0e773b47d4d3b4.jpg

Is that a Supreme?  My first big crash was in a Supreme.....I was just a passenger in the back luckily, the guy in the front (as the car entered the ditch on a 90 bend) went through the non safety glass windscreen, my first real sight of blood and gore, all I remember was running for what seemed like ages to get to a house with a phone, he survived but had horrendous scars on his face and neck......and all for chasing a plane we were all waiting for to land at Southend which got diverted to Stansted......taught me a lot at the tender age of about 14 about driving too fast.

edit : I ought to point out that we were just plane spotting, not actually trying to catch a flight :scratchhead:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Those GM V6s are/were ten a penny in the US, the basic GM power plant.  Could reach reasonable power figures..and of course, didn't suffer from the unequal cylinder filling of an inline six [on one carb]. Ford went that way too...for a while.

I had a GM V6 in one of our cars, it was a “people carrier” the Chevrolet Lumina (not the cop car saloon). It was pretty gutless on HP but had enough torque to squeal the wheels without even trying in pull away, in the best traditions of all American films :lol:.......it was actually a very good car/truck for touring Europe.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, alastairq said:

NOT.......necessarily true???  Much depends on whether one is going through one's 2nd, or 3rd childhood?

Photograph as 'evidence' to my line manager as to why I wasn't 'in' work that day...or why [after the 'op'} why I had to avoid certain 'heavy' tasks?

A mere 6 years ago, and but almost a year to go before I opted for 'retirement'....[IE, got fed up with work?}

IMG_20140919_075608.jpg

Nicely done, that’s a beauty......I have photographed a lot of industrial injuries in my time......some very, very nasty indeed......like being squished by a road roller, and it was a very hot summers day, back in 1976 :bo_mini:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

I quite like it, but my taste was heavily influenced by reading US Hot Rod magazines from 1964 to about '74.  I would often doodle various hot rods and dragsters and if I drew any sort of sports car it would have lakes pipes and an air scoop. 

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you just said :nono:

:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Spotted a car on a trailer around the corner in the village  this morning, but it had gone before i got a chance to photograph it - now I'm not a car guy, but it looking at interwebs it was either a Bristol 405 or an AC Aceca......sort of thing.  Looked like an actual, real barn find, dirty, tatty but not really all that rough.  Someone's a lucky lad or lass.  Annoyed I  didn't get a shot.  Still, on the way home from archery we followed a very nice Hillman Minx, series V ish.  Interwebs again.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Is that a Supreme?  My first big crash was in a Supreme.....I was just a passenger in the back luckily, the guy in the front (as the car entered the ditch on a 90 bend) went through the non safety glass windscreen, my first real sight of blood and gore, all I remember was running for what seemed like ages to get to a house with a phone, he survived but had horrendous scars on his face and neck......and all for chasing a plane we were all waiting for to land at Southend which got diverted to Stansted......taught me a lot at the tender age of about 14 about driving too fast.

edit : I ought to point out that we were just plane spotting, not actually trying to catch a flight :scratchhead:

Hi, Yes it is 1955 Subeam MKIII Supreme. It is a quick car by the standards of the day but it is heavy, certainly not a car I would want to chuck around!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, alastairq said:

The Ellesmere Port GM V6 was pretty good, and a lot smaller.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My only experience of a GM V6 was the 3.8 in my company Holden Commodore. It was quite nice, with a moderately lazy 200 bhp available. I'd be interested to have a go in one of the (factory) supercharged ones.

• Like 3

That was something that appealed to me about pre 1970s Vauxhall's, apart from the styling was the big cast iron straight six that would pull up a house side.

At the other end of the scale I like the simplicity of Austin Sevens etc, but I can also appreciate the 1950s American cars that just waft along on the tickover of a 6.6 litre V8.

• Like 3

In the mid 70's, I once owned, briefly, a PC Cresta......As you say, a bit of a wafter? [IE, wafted along?]

It was sold to an enthusiast, and a cheap [£25] 948cc Austin A40 purchased for transport instead.  [reg number ended in BT, which is all I can recall]

Amazed at the difference in fuel consumption....the A40 using barely 2 gallons between Scarborough and Windermere!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, peanuts said:

Another one borderline for which forum old or modern ? 

A very nice crapi280 this car was absoloutly pristine and seemingly unrestored just very well looked after 

20210608_093602.jpg

I’ve still got a roll of the original pin stripes for one of those in the shed somewhere……odd how you accumulate bits you were never going to use :D

Shame about the hood decal though…..other than that looks untouched.

• Like 3

On 09/06/2021 at 10:21, boxbrownie said:

I’ve still got a roll of the original pin stripes for one of those in the shed somewhere……odd how you accumulate bits you were never going to use :D

Shame about the hood decal though…..other than that looks untouched.

It was no sign of any resto just well kept original 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

If my memory of Ford grilles can be trusted, the one on the left is a Mk2 Consul and the one on the right is a Mk2 Zodiac.

John 

The Consul is the earlier 'hi-line' model.

• Informative/Useful 1