RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

The VW type 3 fastback is still on the DVLA books, the FIAT not so.

The VW look suspiciously similar to the one I had back in....1977?  But, according to DVLA it is white [or, was white?}....whereas mine was yellow.  A good car in the winter, mine dropped its number three exhaust valve on the M62 at around 40k miles...as they did. To do with VWs attempts to meet burgeoning emissions laws, still using carbs, by altering the ignition timing for that one cylinder [making the whole thing run too lean...and the oil cooler blocking the airflow pretty much, to that particular cylinder. I have had aircooled Veedubs since then, and they have all dropped no.3 exhaust valve at around that mileage.....Who says Veedub is a reliable, quality, makle??? Pffffft!

To think, when I bought my type 3 veedub, I also had the choice of a Renault 6 1100 !!

• Like 3

The Jag dumped on the pavement might indicate a football match. Players today seem to just abandon their Aston's and Ferrari's. Nice Vanguard ahead of the Ford 100E and is that an MG ZA behind the "Jubilee" Minx?

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 3

IIRC the VW is a Buckinghamshire registration. I once had a Toledo that was registered UBH734N. I haven't seen a Renault 6 on the UK roads since the one a friend of mine had at university about 1990.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, alastairq said:

This has potential indeed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324870152096?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D600edafeeffc422889ef2831cfe31adf%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D114892108015%26itm%3D324870152096%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac472c7f5-4148-11ec-b2a1-fee247bf386c|parentrq%3A04446cf617d0ab8edbc46893fff4f3ca|iid%3A1

HAs the £3K become the new 500 quid banger class?

The above has potential in my eyes...the stickers can be removed [hot air guns?] and those wheels & tyres replaced by steels and chromed hubcaps. Not an automatic, i admit, but, with a bit of fettling, and nice bit of typically British luxury inside?  I liked those Vanden Plas Allegros...and in all honesty, the Allegro isn't a bad car to drive, either.

Black paint isn't bad to fettle up either.....easier to match than other obscure colours?

The 1500 motor [first sign of modernism in my view, from BL?] has umpty enough to keep ahead of modern traffic......and at least you can hear this car coming down the road, unlike the new age of lectricmobiles? [Smiths, anyone? ]

Ye gods! What had the poor car done to deserve treatment like that?

I hope whoever buys it will restore its dignity as soon as possible.

steve.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, steve1 said:

steve.

As I said, it has.... potential..possibilities...hope?

The interior does not appear to be too bad at all..[which in my eyes is the nastiest part of any renovation....having had experience of dropping headlinings on SAAB 900s...]

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

An All-aggro VDP ever had dignity?

Never mind the quality, feel the width??

Actually, quite a nice comfy motor for an aged driver who shuns modernisms...and who cannot afford...or even, want, anything of the luxury motors like Jagwars or Damn-liars...or, worse still, Mercedes Bendz?  Size matters for many of us.....[the less, the better?]

• Agree 3

Thats exactly who they were aimed at and they sold very well according to a book I've been reading about the Allegro. They were never badged as Allegros, just VP 1500 and they never had the quartic steering wheel!

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

steve.

The Allegro was seen by festival goers and ravers as an anti culture must have accessory, for about ten minutes...

I believe that they are currently covering old Volvo estates in stickers and sanding off the paint.

But that might have been last week....

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Is that a Standard Ten Companion on the left of the lower photo? A rare beast even when new.

A Pennant no less, you can tell by the 'peaked' headlamps. (Great mud traps, they rotted and the headlamps fell out).

Rarer still, I can't remember the last time I saw a Pennant saloon in the UK. Don't think that I have ever seen the Companion estate version of either that or the Ten.

There was, over twenty years ago, in a garage in the Witney area, a Standard Pennant van, the restoration of which was on hold until some wings were sourced. I've often wondered whether it ever got restored, the rest of the body appeared to be solid.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A Pennant no less, you can tell by the 'peaked' headlamps. (Great mud traps, they rotted and the headlamps fell out).

Well, not quite a 'Pennant' {I believe Pennants were saloons only?], but from the Standard Motor Club buyers guide, I have snipped the following..

The saloons were replaced by the Herald 948 in 1959 but the Companion was built until April 1962, receiving Pennant style front wings from late 1959.

So good spot for the front wings, but the Companion got the Pennant front wings [but not the rears] from late '59...[before the bedtimes of many on here, too?]

• Like 1

6cwt Vans and Pickups, available from September 1954 until early 1962, persisted with minimum niceties, but cheaper, as they did not attract purchase tax. Later examples after 1959 received Pennant front wings, and from 1962 1147cc engines as fitted to the Herald 1200 and uprated to 7cwt. The last were made in January 1965.

A bit more found about the vans etc....Amazing they went to 1965 as well?

Also goes to show how easy it would be to fit the Herald engines? I've always thought a cheap Eight or Ten, with Spitfire mechanicals, was a ideal keeper-upper with modern traffic?

• Like 2

The van which I knew of had an interesting history. It was built at the end of 1962 and fitted from new with the Pennant front end. It was however, never badged as a Pennant. Possibly it was an attempt at modernising the vans to get them sold, as Standard motors were breathing their last. It was originally in Standard Triumph's own fleet as a service van, which is why the owner was keen to keep it as it was when new.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The Allegro was seen by festival goers and ravers as an anti culture must have accessory, for about ten minutes...

I believe that they are currently covering old Volvo estates in stickers and sanding off the paint.

An oxymoron surely?  Actually no, you've got that culture spot on.  It's hilarious that they can never see the irony.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

My mate Jon's lovely '78 SD1 on youtube....

Gorgeous. My mate's grandad had a 2600 in that colour, it was like travelling in a bed.

Hard to believe that car actually had five different engine options (six if you include the injected V8, seven if you add the twin plenum variant....)

• Like 2

I've wanted a Lotus Europa since I was six years old and today, fifty years later I had a ride in a lovely S2 example care of the owner Steve and the Sporting Bears charity at the NEC show....

IMG_1718.JPG.7cb8395fee17f1d656bf9224b8211a2c.JPG

To say it stuck to the road like toffee to a blanket would be something of an understatement, it was utterly brilliant from start to finish and seemed to surprise a lot of other drivers during the ten mile outing. I still want one!!!

IMG_20211114_18392559.jpg.960f3329ef17f7a9730048c1146aab99.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

I've got a small, metallic blue Matchbox one, but someone near me has a bigger one in yellow:

LotusEuropa.jpg.97ea86c311335de9af3fbd75edbc77bc.jpg

Very low, but not too hard to get in and out of.

That's one of the Europas I had my eye on that was for sale, before I bought my Maser, I was very tempted at the asking price. I think if I had bought it, I'd have re-instated the original opening windows and the stainless steel surrounds etc. Very nice!

On the way into the NEC this Maserati Khamsin was parked up in front of the station, the owner left his lights on so my mate spread the word on social media....

IMG_1523.JPG.d7c430da11fb1bb226849a3345766a11.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG.23f483d66cfe0d659e5761c9ead5cfe6.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG.56481ee1f2ac7f2e81208fda13e4a9d7.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG.c1f392f3acf9f62cadec7b353250c861.JPG

(I'm almost certain it's the same one I saw parked up at another car show at Stoneleigh a few years ago).

Meanwhile, lurking in a darkened corner of the NEC....

IMG_1671.JPG.eb629cce7ced93990b53b1adac8d0425.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG.b81f7efeb7d536bdf05c458d4bb10b44.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG.d7e86ce959112778bedb134350b49be2.JPG

And in a glorious contrast....

IMG_1587.JPG.8e0559de885d44fb63e16934ad55c35b.JPG

• Like 18