Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2022 at 20:16, Rugd1022 said:

Rick Parfitt with his 1965 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III Continental Flying Spur by Mulliner Park Ward...

I am sorry to say - well, not really - that I had to ask Google who Rick Parfitt was....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, russ p said:

Wow! If I hadn't seen that I'd have never believed mk2 and 3 cars were built on the same line at the same time. There must have been bastard cars especially as it was virtually the end for  hydrolastic cars

I had a 1980 Allegro 1300 estate. Outwardly a Mk II but the interior was all Mk. III.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, johnlambert said:

A friend of mine had a very nice VW Beetle back in the day, as I recall it had different door handles on driver and passenger sides because it was built at the changeover point in production.

Hmmm. I doubt Volkswagen, with their legendary quality control, would have let that happen. More likely one side's door had been swapped at some point. It's easier to do that than fit the fiddly bits back inside as a repair. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Hmmm. I doubt Volkswagen, with their legendary quality control, would have let that happen. More likely one side's door had been swapped at some point. It's easier to do that than fit the fiddly bits back inside as a repair. 

The older a car gets its inevitable than many parts will have been replaced due to normal wear and tear or accident, or for that matter updated by the owner to a higher spec. Few cars over thirty years old are completely 100% original. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The older a car gets its inevitable than many parts will have been replaced due to normal wear and tear or accident, or for that matter updated by the owner to a higher spec. Few cars over thirty years old are completely 100% original. 

As much as anything, when a vehicle depreciates to a certain level, it will often be kept going using second-hand parts that fit, and do the job, rather than new ones, even if those are still obtainable.

I remember my brother "part exchanging" his Austin A30 (803cc) with a dinged front passenger door for a newer A35 van (1098cc) with a dinged drivers door, at the local breaker's yard. Needless to say, by the time we drove off in the van, it had received the good door off the saloon....

Naturally, in those days, my brother was a motor mechanic, 😃 though it was me who spotted the van, which I identified as far too good to be scrapped, and from which he got four more years service.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

Another of my past cars - 1952 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe Sedan. 3.8 litre straight six, 2-speed Powerglide automatic, restored in Texas and imported to Britain. I bought it in Northumberland and eventually sold it to a buyer from the West Country. A lovely car (and surprisingly economical), but you can't keep them all.

21877.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, doilum said:

Is this the car that features in the sequence in the movie Zabrsekey Point to the soundtrack of the Rolling Stones You've got the silver?

It's decades since I saw that film, I'd have to try to find a copy to find out. I can't even remember very much about the movie at all, come to think about it.

• Like 1

Imported from Florida, paid just $1200 (about £900 at the time) for this very solid 1954 Chevy 210 2-door in the late eighties, shipping and duties added another £525, sold on for £3,800 a few months later, just as the bottom fell out of the classic car market. Six cylinder 3.8 litre, 3-speed manual box, this engine had so much torque that first was rarely needed. I took a friend down to a custom show at the Essex Showground at Great Leighs, and once we'd left his house in Barnsley I never came out of top gear. When we arrived at the showground, he turned to me and said " I thought you said this was a manual car? You've not changed gear all the way down!" Incidentally, the registration number is currently on a Vauxhall, so I don't know whether the Chevy is still around or not.

54 chevy dsk 315.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Be great to keep it in that condition and have a mate in a 3.0 granada or consul to follow you everywhere at great speed!

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Be great to keep it in that condition and have a mate in a 3.0 granada or consul to follow you everywhere at great speed!

Need a plentiful supply of empty cardboard boxes to drive through

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

3 hours ago, russ p said:

Ahem (cough), here you go Russ, except they always used S-Types in The Sweeney as they were cheaper at the time and handled better....

728802507_SWEENEYSTOPPODRIVER13.jpg.22f3ee9225e5ae30557800d8f0827cf3.jpg

1013790990_SWEENEYSTOPPODRIVER17.jpg.95877fdd56610baa8ef3a374f12f9638.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Ahem (cough), here you go Russ, except they always used S-Types in The Sweeney as they were cheaper at the time and handled better....

728802507_SWEENEYSTOPPODRIVER13.jpg.22f3ee9225e5ae30557800d8f0827cf3.jpg

1013790990_SWEENEYSTOPPODRIVER17.jpg.95877fdd56610baa8ef3a374f12f9638.jpg

To be honest I'm not that good with jags 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Perfect for a Get Carter enthusiast

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Many, many years ago, say the late '50s, I saw b&w film footage of an upper class old trout driving what I suspect was a Mk VII Jaguar, being pursued by plod in a Wolseley. Her repeated feat of straightlining  roundabouts struck me as impressive, then and now. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

‘The Beast’ parked opposite the office this morning, lorry soon went though and a shame to not hear it run!

D8BF2567-51C8-4D4E-88F3-D92A7B1943B8.jpeg.cb151ef97e9b2e975bb6d4319c5ee958.jpeg

Is that the current iteration of that Merlin engined faux Rolls Royce that was created in the 1970s?

Certainly an odd colour. Taxed to March 2023 I see too.

steve

• Like 1

Not the type that usually features on this thread but it’s definitely based on an old car.

Saw it arrive at the local out of town shopping centre and decided to follow it to get a few pictures.

I must admit I do like hot rods or whatever they’re  called.

Unfortunately it didn’t sound quite as good as I though it would.

7D2854A7-8F32-4961-81B8-F7470F83C8A9.jpeg.355e5edd505c33e71208f25d1cf578d6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1