RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On 13/11/2022 at 13:57, BernardTPM said:

As far as I remember it was something to do with gaining the most MPG (possibly connected with Shell petrol).

Added -  Another picture here, which confirms it was related to Shell.

I just can't believe that anyone in their right mind would attempt an economy trial in a 3.3 litre Vauxhall!

A college pal of mine had one, his dad worked for a fuel distributor and he got 10 gallons a week for free, half of which went to his son, which is probably the only way he was ever going to keep that car on the road. Even so, the way he drove it that was never going to get far, I seem to remember his best was about 15mpg but on a "fun" day it was about half that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Even if I'm no great fan of former Rootes/Chrysler UK products, I wondered why they almost completely avoided even looking at the "Turbot". Was it put there simply so that they could pay it the insult of being ignored?

Being a Rootes stable it must have been a non runner……just kidding Martin, honest. 🙃

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

Even if I'm no great fan of former Rootes/Chrysler UK products, I wondered why they almost completely avoided even looking at the "Turbot". Was it put there simply so that they could pay it the insult of being ignored?

May be to do with it cost about £200,000, running bespoke throttle body injection, a competiton gearbox, and the bloke who buit the engine, built them for the WRC cars.

I am a fan of the Avenger and Sunbeam.

Also unlike all the others not wrong wheel drive.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 3