RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, russ p said:

Separate gear levers,  seems an odd thing to do. Would imagine it not being hard to make one levers operate both boxes 

Possibly done so that it could be used as Fwd, Rwd or 4wd for comparative purposes?

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Possibly done so that it could be used as Fwd, Rwd or 4wd for comparative purposes?

John

Must have been a pig to drive though John 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, russ p said:

Must have been a pig to drive though John 

Certainly if one had to go all that far!

I imagine you'd develop a habit of putting one in neutral, changing the other then "catching up" with the first.

With one lever each side, the only alternative would be steering with ones knees!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, 30801 said:

John Cooper watched that and made the Twini Cooper which was very nearly the last thing he ever did.

In 1966 Cooper got into hot water with Sir George Harriman, the top man at BMC, when he tried to launch his own 'special edition' Mini - he'd sent a '65 Mk1 Austin Cooper S over to Bertone in Italy for an Italianate makeover, Harriman put an immediate block on it and only one was ever made...

1450610638_BERTONESIMG_6402.JPG.8fc7e5e78624e4643a8c442676a4c31b.JPG

Initially it had this odd arrangement at the front, but a standard shaped grille was later fitted...

1134739740_Bertone1966JCCooperS.jpg.f032bdc4fa5661d702ea1d477ffbe58f.jpg

200824769_BERTONECOOPERStop-10-mini-conversions.jpg.31bc83e92eba48cc9d8ac25ed20d0ffe.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

In 1966 Cooper got into hot water with Sir George Harriman, the top man at BMC, when he tried to launch his own 'special edition' Mini - he'd sent a '65 Mk1 Austin Cooper S over to Bertone in Italy for an Italianate makeover, Harriman put an immediate block on it and only one was ever made...

Got burnt again with the Metro Cooper

I only heard of it because a picture of it appeared on a car spotting page a couple of years ago.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/austin/metro/cooper-monaco/

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Just reading more and more about British Leyland - is it possible that it's the worst run British company from 1968 on?

Have you never heard of transpennine or network rail?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, OnTheBranchline said:

How about from the BL period it was active to broken up?

I don't deny BL made some pretty stupid decisions but I think you are asking the wrong person as I'm a massive BL enthusiast 

• Like 2

On 25/01/2023 at 19:30, OnTheBranchline said:

Look mum, I found a needle in a haystack!

😆

Two, actually! 🤣

There were lots of things that caused them problems, not least of which was they had multiple brands but weren't allowed to rationalise as that would have meant factory closures (which were desperately needed) but would have been out of bounds for the Governments of the time... Had they be allowed to go down to one or possibly two makes (a run of the mill and an upmarket one) and cut down the factories to the most efficient ones for mass car production they would probably have been ok, but that was never going to happen. So we just saw one section taking sales off another with other manufacturers able to concentrate on one model eating into their market, only at the beginning of the 80s did we start to see a more rational approach but even then it was too fragmented... I always feel it was a shame the Rover/Honda collaboration wasn't allowed to continue, but once they sold it off to BMW that was the end... There were some good cars in the Group but they tended to be underdeveloped, the Maxi being a good example, way ahead of it's time but strangled by internal politics (though much of that is down to BMC rather than BL, but continued by BL), even the Metro was kept going too long...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The Maxi may have been ahead of its time in the UK, but was essentially a de-quirked take on an interior layout pioneered in the Renault 16 using mechanicals scaled up from the mini/1100/1300.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Maxi may have been ahead of its time in the UK, but was essentially a de-quirked take on an interior layout pioneered in the Renault 16 using mechanicals scaled up from the mini/1100/1300.

With styling compromised by the need to re-use the doors from the Austin 1800...