The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Some tasty gems from 'Viva Italia' at Sywell aerodrome today...

Indeed, some real wondercars.

Watched the Lancia Stratos at the RAC Rally back in the day - think we were at the Sutton Park Special Stage and watched one of these fab cars go by without its rear engine cover which was fine we had a brief glimps of the Dino derived V6 engine covered in mud.

Lovely looking Abarth Coupe.

As always, many thanks,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Lancia B19(?) looks lovely but I am much taken by the 128 - always thought that they were a well balanced design and this one in a now and then trendy green. If I recall, the 128 was a contemporary of the Allegro?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A proper old car, one I've always wanted and one I rarely see. The MG outside the "Vine" pub in Wimborne and the Humber at a social club I frequent. Would love the MG but I'm afraid late middle age derriere expansion and lack of funds prevent!

20230524_125249.jpg

20230526_133057.jpg

• Like 13

On 05/06/2023 at 10:04, 30368 said:

The Lancia B19(?) looks lovely but I am much taken by the 128 - always thought that they were a well balanced design and this one in a now and then trendy green. If I recall, the 128 was a contemporary of the Allegro?

Kind regards,

Richard B

The Fiat 128 was launched in 1969, so it pre-dated the Allegro by about 4 years and ended production a year later in 1984.  So, yes, they were contemporaries.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Never seen one of these before.

Not a good shot but conditions where poor and I was in a rush. I couldn’t get a picture from the front but

I like the stying though the rear light cluster looks bit clumsy.

94D8A07B-37E3-4DC8-85B2-26AB7458247D.jpeg.ccefa2dac919809d907e41aa5fdd603b.jpeg

The rear light clusters look as if they belong on another car.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

An assorted bunch of old and oldish cars. The Mini belongs to a 313 admirer - parked at Newhaven Harbour when the BLS 313 farewell special came down. Spot the 10litre Morris van!

1929 Lagonda Newhaven 13 6 2023.jpg

1937 Riley Newhaven 13 6 2023.jpg

1980 Austin Morris Mini 1275 GT - Newhaven - 29 4 2023.jpg

Morris 8 1940 at Seafords Coronation Festival 8 5 2023.jpg

Morris 1000 van RVS 947 28 1 2023 with reg no check.jpg

Morris Minor 110 Traveller 1965 Seaford 22 4 2023.jpg

Rolls Royce 20-25 at Seafords Coronation Festival 8 5 2023.jpg

Rolls Royce 1931 Bishopstone 1 9 2012.jpg

Vauxhall Viva 1966 Seaford 11 1 2013.jpg

Merlin and Westfield sports cars Newhaven 13 6 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Incorrect caption
  • Like 17

48 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Small pedantic point; it's a Marlin, not a Merlin.

SAdly, it is in fact, a Merlin [kit car]....not a Marlin, which is a quite different beast underneath. [Being originally designed/intended as a trials car, hence the stiff, bridge-design of chassis, and the windscreen surround as a roll-over bar..]

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Nice selection @phil_sutters; the good weather tends to bring out the toys!  Small pedantic point; it's a Marlin, not a Merlin.

So much for Government information - details from DVLA reg. no. check said 'Merlin'. There were several other not so classic, but high-end, cars rolling off the ferry. while I sat waiting for my bus home from Lidl's - possibly from some event across the Channel.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, alastairq said:

SAdly, it is in fact, a Merlin [kit car]....not a Marlin, which is a quite different beast underneath. [Being originally designed/intended as a trials car, hence the stiff, bridge-design of chassis, and the windscreen surround as a roll-over bar..]

Now I shall have to go and change the correction back again!

A few minutes later - job done! 🙂

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Have I offered these two before? On my other website, ipernity, one can see all the contributions one has made to a group in one place, so any duplication can be avoided.

Austin Swallow Arundel 26.8.05 po badged.jpg

Fraser Nash 1925 bonnet with details.jpg

Fraser Nash 1925 at The Eagle, Arundel 26 8 05.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Large, very early MG in Sainsburys car park this evening, unfortunately my phone battery died before I could get a shot.  Possibly an 18/80.  There were a few very rare classics around this evening suggesting there's been some event locally.

• Like 2

Seen at Whitby station earlier this week and I wasn’t the only one taking pictures.

I learned to drive in one of these, though not a chopped one. Still remember the handbrake lever coming out from just under the centre of the dash.

26972EF0-BBD0-41B4-93AF-35DFDEF842F1.jpeg.a3f45b608abdf6bd03138ab1d28ec9a9.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Seen at Whitby station earlier this week and I wasn’t the only one taking pictures.

I learned to drive in one of these, though not a chopped one. Still remember the handbrake lever coming out from just under the centre of the dash.

26972EF0-BBD0-41B4-93AF-35DFDEF842F1.jpeg.a3f45b608abdf6bd03138ab1d28ec9a9.jpeg

I can't understand why they are so popular. They are horrible things to drive, slow and noisy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I can't understand why they are so popular. They are horrible things to drive, slow and noisy.

Style!

If it’s original it’s probably got a 1200cc engine whereas the the one I learned in was a very late model and had 2l engine. 

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3